Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 06:16 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
fortay(sounding) has one meaning most will recognize
fort has multiple meanings and not well recognized
I agree with this explanation for the best pronunciation. I wouldn't use a word like this myself, but it's the only way I've ever heard anyone say it. Usage rules over tradition in language. If not, we'd still be speaking the English of the time when the Magna Carta was signed. It probably should be spelled "forté". Those accent marks should be incorporated into English, as we've added so many loan-words from other languages that require them to be spoken correctly. I always use the appropriate accent mark of a loan word's original language, since I'm no longer in a classroom where I'd be graded-down for it. But I'll be darned if the local newspaper doesn't change all Letters-to-the-Editor, to match their own version of correct spelling, grammar and punctuation. Also, I always try to use the spelling/pronunciation of place-names and those of languages, using the versions that the natives of those places use. I don't understand why we ever needed to substitute what are in some cases, very different names of our own, for so many places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's pronounced "fort" in French. In English, it's most commonly pronounced "for-tay" per all dictionaries, though "fort", according to most (but not all) dictionaries of American English, is not incorrect. People who believe that "fort" is the only correct pronunciation are wrong, unless they're referring to French usage.
There are many words in English that have more than one accepted spelling or pronunciation, but most spell-checkers online don't seem to know about them.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:58 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
There are many words in English that have more than one accepted spelling or pronunciation, but most spell-checkers online don't seem to know about them.
English has words that originate from many different languages, but we don't necessarily adopt the pronunciations. There is nothing wrong with that. "Karaoke" is not pronounced "Carry Okee" in Japanese by any stretch of the imagination, but it doesn't make it wrong to say it that way in English. We also don't don't use the same plurals they use in other languages when we bring in other words- such as stadiums. That doesn't make it wrong, it just means we've modified it to be an English word, not a Latin word.

If you are here talking about a city in the native language name of the city, people might not even recognize the name. They might not recognize the country name either. You don't go having conversations about Deutschland or Sverige, do you?

Old 10-01-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
English has words that originate from many different languages, but we don't necessarily adopt the pronunciations. There is nothing wrong with that. "Karaoke" is not pronounced "Carry Okee" in Japanese by any stretch of the imagination, but it doesn't make it wrong to say it that way in English. We also don't don't use the same plurals they use in other languages when we bring in other words- such as stadiums. That doesn't make it wrong, it just means we've modified it to be an English word, not a Latin word.

If you are here talking about a city in the native language name of the city, people might not even recognize the name. They might not recognize the country name either. You don't go having conversations about Deutschland or Sverige, do you?
Actually, I was thinking about those two national names, when I wrote that. How long would it take anyone to learn what those names meant, if I said them in a context referring to those countries? But I don't do it all the time, just when I figure that the listener might be hip to the meanings. And how many English speakers who listen to music and watch movies, would not know that the French pronounce the name of their capitol, as we would if it were spelled, "Paree"?

Old 10-08-2016, 05:58 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Forte: Ones' strong point

Apparently it's pronounced fort, not for-tay

Of course anyone who pronounces it correctly as above would probably get weird looks
I knew that for years, but I just don't use the word because of the reason you said.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:25 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's pronounced "fort" in French. In English, it's most commonly pronounced "for-tay" per all dictionaries, though "fort", according to most (but not all) dictionaries of American English, is not incorrect. People who believe that "fort" is the only correct pronunciation are wrong, unless they're referring to French usage.
French "forte" (pronounced, roughly, fort) is the feminine version of the adjective meaning strong. "Fort" (pronounced, roughly, forrh) is the masculine. In Italian, it's "forte" (fortay) for both genders. There is no Romance language in which fort or forte is a noun meaning one's strong point; it is unique to English. So I'll stick with "fortay".

Old 10-10-2016, 10:36 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
The pronunciation differences come from the ancient conflict of the Saxons and Normans in England.
English is essentially a Saxon language that had different rules of pronunciation than old French.

When the Normans, French speakers, conquered England, the pronunciation conflict started as both peoples were forced to learn each other's language. The farther a Saxon peasant was from a city or any of the primitive government, the more Saxon their speech was, with less French influence.

The people who were townsmen, closer to the royal government, the more the French pronunciation took over.

Since the Normans didn't conquer all of the British Isles, places like Scotland and Wales had their own rules of pronunciation that were different from both the Saxons and the Normans, so over time, their own rules entered into the mix as well.

And once folks immigrated to America, everyone was introduced to other rules of pronunciation that came from entirely different areas and sources. Eastern Europe has much different rules than Western Europe, for example.

So we mix it all up without realizing we do it. That's why American English has become the unofficial universal language, even though its impossibly full of contradictions in everything about it.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
"Fortay" is an overcorrection, like pronouncing the open space inside your front door as "foyay" instead of "foyer" (which rightly rhymes with lawyer).

"Irregardless" is in the dictionary too, but that doesn't mean I'm using it. I don't use "forte," either, unless I'm with people who know how to pronounce it. Ordinarily people will just look at you oddly. Use a different word.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:20 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
My forte is baking a delicious chocolate torte.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:16 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,737,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
My forte is baking a delicious chocolate torte.
Touche
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education