Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who mistreated you at school?
Children 3 33.33%
Parents 3 33.33%
Teachers 5 55.56%
Principal 4 44.44%
I was never mistreated 2 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 02:22 AM

432 posts, read 343,064 times

Advertisements

To my personal knowledge, I've never known this to happen.

If you were mistreated, was this from children, their parents, other teachers or the principal or did you get along fine with everybody? And how were you mistreated?

EdX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 03:42 AM

In the poll, substitute students for children.

EdX

Old 12-14-2016, 04:06 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,009,398 times
Teachers are mistreating my daughter.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:04 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
You really need to learn to put things in the correct forum. If you wanted teacher responses, you should have put this in the teaching forum.

Additionally, you did not define the term mistreat. Do you mean disrespected? Or harassed? Or actually abused?

I have had a small number of students lie to me regularly, very occasionally disrespect me and once had a student stalk me. In reality most of my students are awesome.

Parents, are e most likely of the groups listed above to mistreat teachers. At the high school level we don't really interact with parents so when we do it is disproportionately interactions with parents who are disrespectful, accusing and so on, despite the fact they are the minority. I do know of several teachers who were so mistreated by specific parents that they were not allowed to interact without a mediator.

Like any job, there are bad apples, so I know a teacher who has tried to mistreat me and others. I do not think this is any more prevalent in teaching than any other job.

I do think principals, especially in small districts or those without much oversight are much more likely to mistreat their employees. Because a significant number of teachers are people pleasers they tend to not report those individuals to the higher admins or push back at all. I have seen principals absolutely bully teachers on occasion.

You didn't put higher admins or superintendents, who I have occasionally heard horror stories about, but I have never seen these first hand.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:47 AM

IKB wrote:

"You really need to learn to put things in the correct forum. If you wanted teacher responses, you should have put this in the teaching forum."

For me, the teaching forum would be concerned with pedagogical methods of teaching while the education forum would be concerned with personnel matters related to the teachers so I decided to put the thread here.

As for higher administrative and superintendents, it's been a good number of years that I've attended school plus I'm not 100% familiar with school structures which I suspect varies from one district to the next. If it helps the thread, my audience can add those titles to the principal.

EdX

Old 12-14-2016, 06:50 AM

20,125 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
To my personal knowledge, I've never known this to happen.

If you were mistreated, was this from children, their parents, other teachers or the principal or did you get along fine with everybody? And how were you mistreated?

EdX
Interesting, because in a career that has spanned well over 40 years, including 27 full-time in the classroom, where I transferred a lot because of my husband's job, I don't think I've encountered a school that didn't have at least one teacher being mistreated, often more, by somebody. The real question was whether or not that teacher recieved support or not. Also, there is a difference between deliberate and residual mistreatment. No one in a school system gets more physically mistreated than special education teachers and aides, but that is a very unfortunate, practically unavoidable, reality of the job and what matters most is the response to address it when it happens.

I could tell you stories from my first job, where I was the only minority teacher in about a 50 mile radius and an active Klan chapter in a nearby county, that could curl your hair. That was extreme, but most mistreatment of teachers is not at a level where there won't be people who excuse it, including the teacher's own colleagues. Parents, in their misguided attempt to "protect" their child, are a common culprit. Students, depending on the age and circumstances, mistreating their teachers either emotionally or physically can be quite common and what matters is how it is addressed when it happens. It is just part of the job, enough so that most experienced teachers just roll their eyes and move on. Teaching is not a good career for the sensitive or thin skinned.

Of a more insidious nature, and in many ways much, much more difficult to deal with, is mistreatment by colleagues, principals, or other administrators. Teachers who bully other teachers can be a serious issue and they tend to target teachers that are vulnerable to begin with, and the ones that do bully other teachers tend to be very effective at it. Like any business a toxic boss or bosses are not unheard of, tenured teachers at least have some measure of protection against them.

Bottom line, if you haven't seen it, it's because you never looked.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:10 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
IKB wrote:

"You really need to learn to put things in the correct forum. If you wanted teacher responses, you should have put this in the teaching forum."

For me, the teaching forum would be concerned with pedagogical methods of teaching while the education forum would be concerned with personnel matters related to the teachers so I decided to put the thread here.

As for higher administrative and superintendents, it's been a good number of years that I've attended school plus I'm not 100% familiar with school structures which I suspect varies from one district to the next. If it helps the thread, my audience can add those titles to the principal.

EdX
Perhaps before you post, you will spend just a couple of minutes becoming familiar with the forums then.

Because the education forum is mostly populated by non-teachers, where lay people discuss their experiences regarding their, or their children's, educations. Even with the title, clearly specifying this is a question for teachers, 1/3 of the posts answering the question were not by teachers.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:30 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
I don't know, and since I'm Retired Now it wouldn't matter.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:00 PM

8,269 posts, read 8,644,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't know, and since I'm Retired Now it wouldn't matter.
Just joined, started 33 threads. Yep, I'm retired now.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:05 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Interesting, because in a career that has spanned well over 40 years, including 27 full-time in the classroom, where I transferred a lot because of my husband's job, I don't think I've encountered a school that didn't have at least one teacher being mistreated, often more, by somebody. The real question was whether or not that teacher recieved support or not. Also, there is a difference between deliberate and residual mistreatment. No one in a school system gets more physically mistreated than special education teachers and aides, but that is a very unfortunate, practically unavoidable, reality of the job and what matters most is the response to address it when it happens.

I could tell you stories from my first job, where I was the only minority teacher in about a 50 mile radius and an active Klan chapter in a nearby county, that could curl your hair. That was extreme, but most mistreatment of teachers is not at a level where there won't be people who excuse it, including the teacher's own colleagues. Parents, in their misguided attempt to "protect" their child, are a common culprit. Students, depending on the age and circumstances, mistreating their teachers either emotionally or physically can be quite common and what matters is how it is addressed when it happens. It is just part of the job, enough so that most experienced teachers just roll their eyes and move on. Teaching is not a good career for the sensitive or thin skinned.

Of a more insidious nature, and in many ways much, much more difficult to deal with, is mistreatment by colleagues, principals, or other administrators. Teachers who bully other teachers can be a serious issue and they tend to target teachers that are vulnerable to begin with, and the ones that do bully other teachers tend to be very effective at it. Like any business a toxic boss or bosses are not unheard of, tenured teachers at least have some measure of protection against them.

Bottom line, if you haven't seen it, it's because you never looked

Oldhag said it well, "Bottom line, if you haven't seen it, it's because you never looked".

I spent 40 years in the classroom and there were many situations of abuse that I observed that were literally criminal but were just "swept under the rug" or just ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education