Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2016, 01:13 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,513,948 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is working at a for profit college. These colleges to me seem to be one of the scourges of the US currently. I am not sure if they were not around in the 1980's when I was in college or they were but just not as bad as they are now, but they are really a mess for society.

My friend says they overcharge the students for the courses and teach them substandardly. They have such a good sales and loan dept. that they entice these kids in and then sell them a "load". The kids then have to pay these loans off for life. This should be outlawed-why are they preying on these kids?

These kids are not fit for being in an adult world. Many were not raised on how to act in public or at school. They ask to sleep on the floor in class, they leave to take long cell phone calls and one of them heckled the teacher until he let them teach the class himself-which the kid failed at.

I am not sure which part is worse or maybe it shows a balance of what we get when we ignore the most needy and let the most greedy create unrestricted businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 03:54 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,954,794 times
Of course, for profit universities prey on their students. They get the kids on federal loans and then don't teach the kids anything. Trump University is a prime example of that. Most of them, however, are online universities. I never heard of anyone sleeping on the floor in class. Not sure where your friend teaches, but she should probably get out of there.

See this article in Forbes Magazine
Forbes Welcome

Quote:
For-profit schools get the bulk of their income from federal loans, which is part of what makes their business practices suspect. Over 95 percent of students attending for-profit schools take out student loans -- a big difference from the 43 percent of students who have loans at public four-year schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education