Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 03:09 AM

804 posts, read 544,946 times

Advertisements

This is a broad question. Advancing is better. Friends are nice but grades are better. It is not like she is going to be inside of a dependent relationship later on in life or something along those lines. However you want the best for your children and parents are the original educators asides for the original benefactors. About making her birthday happy. Find some sort of outdoor activity. Think for yourself as well so you and your daughter could enjoy these activities as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 06:51 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I'm struggling with this now. My daughters birthday is at the end of June and I had started her in Kindergarten on time. She went to pre-school for 2 years and was ready. She is now in 3rd grade and we had moved from Illinois to Indiana this past summer. She is clearly behind at her new school and struggling.
In the middle of the school year, we moved to a house in a different school district when our child (not the one in post #22) was in second grade. It was a much harder school district, and he had the same problems your daughter is having. In fact, I thought he would never stop missing his old friends and school.

Since your daughter is not the youngest, has already had to adjust to a new school and neighborhood, and has had to make new friends, I would keep up with the tutoring and let her stay where she is. At some point she'll catch up academically.

While I'm glad that we had our daughter repeat kindergarten, she did feel the social stigma (and she could clearly see her friends who had gone on to first grade through the fence on the playground, which was a daily reminder). I would hate to see an older kid have to endure that.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:37 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,192 times
OP- Do you know exactly where you will be moving (which district)? If so, I'd ask the school if they could provide some type of mid-year assessment and have your daughter take them. Ask if one is too easy or one is too hard. Typically, I would argue against retaining anyone after kindergarten unless it was really needed, but in this situation, I feel it may be a good thing. Especially if she is OK with it.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:45 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I'm struggling with this now. My daughters birthday is at the end of June and I had started her in Kindergarten on time. She went to pre-school for 2 years and was ready. She is now in 3rd grade and we had moved from Illinois to Indiana this past summer. She is clearly behind at her new school and struggling. I have had meetings with the school and they are already talking about holding her back. My problem with this is she had to meet all new friends when we moved and if they hold her back, she will have to start all over again trying to meet new friends. It's been 8 months since our move and she is still missing her old school and friends. I know holding her back would ultimately help her, but social I think it will be devastating.

Any thoughts? She already works with a tutor 2 days a week.
Since she already started and months have went by, I feel like you lost the window. Socially, she is already the 'new kid'. Moving her back will likely cause more harm than good with her peers.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:55 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,172,267 times
From my experiences, no matter how intelligent, mature and socially gifted a child is, an year or two can affect school experience. Let them be the oldest. Enroll them into to the school feeder where you want them to graduate from by 6th grade. Middle school is very important if you want them to succeed in high school, it makes it much easier.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 978 times
I always prefer to talk with child as friendly as much possible. If you discuss the problem with your child, he or she will share his problem with you. I give priority to my children that he or she can take any step but not in the wrong way. I just suggest them which is the right way and which is the wrong. I feel proud of my children's. They follow my rules and don't do anything that is wrong.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:10 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,955 times
Update - We are holding her back.

If she went to her next grade - no one in her class would be her age.

Let me put it this way... if she was born in the new place we moved to, then she will be in the grade that we are holding her back in, so age wise I think she will be fine. The school has a couple of accelerated programs if the kids are advanced (just spoke to the principal this week).

Daughters fine with it (because she understands that if she was born here, she is in the proper grade).

Old 07-21-2017, 08:29 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,430 times
And that will be her explanation if anyone should happen to ask why-that the school "made" her do it.

I think you're doing the right thing!

Old 07-25-2017, 06:58 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Good to hear that it worked out, zulu.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:10 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
My grandson repeated second grade when they moved to a system where he was not old enough for second grade. I don't remember if either he or his parents had a problem with it or not, but they went along with it. I'm sure the maturity issue was more important in his case than the academic because he's always been a really good student.

It seems a bit arbitrary, since in my grandsons case, his birthday is late September. It's not as though he was months and months too young.

My youngest son repeated kindergarten, just because of unreadiness, so was 19 when he graduated, but there were no issues with him either. Don't sweat it, OP, in the scheme of things this is minor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education