Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 11:40 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times

Advertisements

I have zero role in anything related to education, other than paying taxes and only have one thing to suggest.

I strongly believe we need to teach personal finance and investing K-12 so kids can become adults that understand how to manage their finances and not get taken advantage of. Forbes once reported that 66% of US adults couldn't pass a basic financial literacy test. Regardless of level of education, or income level, this is something that can go a long way in creating a stronger and more stable foundation for our country, society, and economy.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:24 PM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I have zero role in anything related to education, other than paying taxes and only have one thing to suggest.

I strongly believe we need to teach personal finance and investing K-12 so kids can become adults that understand how to manage their finances and not get taken advantage of. Forbes once reported that 66% of US adults couldn't pass a basic financial literacy test. Regardless of level of education, or income level, this is something that can go a long way in creating a stronger and more stable foundation for our country, society, and economy.
I agree, and it's interesting how often that has come up in several different threads. I have to admit that it's something I have never thought of before.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:27 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
1. Uniforms

2. Corporal Punishment

3. Segregation by sex

Old 04-13-2017, 12:46 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:

This post makes me realize I need to add a number 4.

Stop making everything mandatory. Personal finance or financial lit, like most classes, should be an elective not a mandatory class. Graduation requirements should include general guidelines and minimal specific mandated classes. Four years of English, a couple years of math, a couple years of history and a couple years of science. Let the students interests or needs drive the rest. One of the things that most disenfranchise students is forcing them to take classes to meet random "life skills" strangers think they should know. For basics like health or finance, let them test out at least.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

Stop making everything mandatory. Personal finance or financial lit, like most classes, should be an elective not a mandatory class. Graduation requirements should include general guidelines and minimal specific mandated classes. Four years of English, a couple years of math, a couple years of history and a couple years of science. Let the students interests or needs drive the rest. One of the things that most disenfranchise students is forcing them to take classes to meet random "life skills" strangers think they should know. For basics like health or finance, let them test out at least.
In real life people are forced to work jobs they hate. Taking care of children that drain them financially. The school system should make it mandatory to learn how real life is. Children that cry and whine about how they are not interested in a particular topic need to learn that in the real world feelings don't matter only what is expected.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Could explain just a bit more about # 2? Thank you.
Thematic schools tend to have more buy in, but they typically are only available to kids at the very top or very bottom. If schools are organized along county rather than town lines, the pooling of resources allows schools to begin to make themes. Some could be specific STEM themes, others language immersion or the communication arts, and so on. Some should remain typical college prep of course. But right now areas that do have themed programs typically turn away more kids than they can take in.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:53 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:

I'm fine with letting them test out, although for somewhere around grades K-6 that probably doesn't make sense. And I'd REALLY push back on the whole "life skills" thing. I knew by 6th grade that I wanted no part of science classes, no difference there yet its also being "pushed" on people by strangers that thought I should know about it. I actually love science, but its just more of a personal interest rather than something I want to spend time studying.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
In real life people are forced to work jobs they hate. Taking care of children that drain them financially. The school system should make it mandatory to learn how real life is. Children that cry and whine about how they are not interested in a particular topic need to learn that in the real world feelings don't matter only what is expected.
Uhm, no. That just leads to children dropping out as they see education as pointless. Children are not adults, treating them as such does NOTHING to increase personal responsibility. Allowing children to make choices regarding heir classes, or programs does.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Uhm, no. That just leads to children dropping out as they see education as pointless. Children are not adults, treating them as such does NOTHING to increase personal responsibility. Allowing children to make choices regarding heir classes, or programs does.
Children can't make choices properly. A childs reasoning is flawed they need to be steered in the right direction. If we catered to the whims of children nothing would get done.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I'm fine with letting them test out, although for somewhere around grades K-6 that probably doesn't make sense. And I'd REALLY push back on the whole "life skills" thing. I knew by 6th grade that I wanted no part of science classes, no difference there yet its also being "pushed" on people by strangers that thought I should know about it. I actually love science, but its just more of a personal interest rather than something I want to spend time studying.
The difference is parents, a book or online lecture, etc. can give someone a strong enough background as to be able to meet the typical financial needs. The same cannot be said for being scientifically literate. There is no way that a 6th grader is developmentally able to critically evaluate the types of scientific info most people need to get by.

And I have zero interest in dictating which science classes are required, but high schools should offer more than bio, chem and physics. Maybe a life sciences or chemcom class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education