Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 04:54 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times

Advertisements

I am an engineer so I found all math classes useful. However, most students are not, so algebra I is sufficient. Judging from the news, if you want to be a politician, all science classes are useless, and even a detriment.
Spanish definitely a useful subject.

Last edited by pvande55; 10-08-2017 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: Add line

Old 10-08-2017, 05:43 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,041,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
IDK why some people on the thread are saying that Gym was useless. Schools need to have gym class, to help counteract the forces that tend to create fat kids. Some of the gym activities may seem lame, but it's about physical fitness. It's about having at least maybe 3 class sessions/week, if not 5, in which kids are forced to be active.
I suspect they say that because they had similar experiences to mine. Gym teacher drags out a ball of some kind, depending on the season. Points to the same two people each class and says "Choose up teams." And then disappears for the rest of the class while the athletes play ball and the rest of us wonder why we're even there. The most useless worthless class in school is gym because of how it's taught, not because of what it should be.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:07 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I suspect they say that because they had similar experiences to mine. Gym teacher drags out a ball of some kind, depending on the season. Points to the same two people each class and says "Choose up teams." And then disappears for the rest of the class while the athletes play ball and the rest of us wonder why we're even there. The most useless worthless class in school is gym because of how it's taught, not because of what it should be.
Its not like that anymore, at least not at any school my kids have gone to. They teach them how to play golf, bowl, etc. kids need gym class to also break up their day and be active. You can't expect a child to sit for 6-7 hours a day. Plus kids are getting too fat and parents are not doing anything about it. If it wasn't for Gym they might not get any exercise!

Is Gym class something you need to "learn" obviously not, but it also teaches health and nutrition and that is valuable.

Last edited by CGab; 10-08-2017 at 07:23 PM..

Old 10-08-2017, 06:46 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
On what planet do you not use math or biology everyday? Your very body is an act of biology. Some of these post just solidify my belief that Americans are very anti-intellectual.
So because our bodies are basically biology personified, we "use" biology everyday? I haven't used biology on a regular basis since college, when I was in bio or microbio related classes. It helps to know about how the body works, which is a very specific type of biology than biology generally (which teaches you everything from cell structure to photosynthesis), sure, but unless someone has some chronic illness or is a caretaker or something I don't see how knowing how the body works on some deeper, biological level is relevant to daily life. Seriously, can you explain what you mean when you say you use biology everyday? Most people use at least some very low level type of math probably almost every day, but I mean it's math I learned in elementary school usually...

Old 10-08-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Its not like that anymore, at least not at any school my kids have gone to. They teach them how to play golf, bowl, etc. kids need gym class to also break up their day and be active. You can't expect a child to sit for 6-7 hours a day. Plus kids are getting too fat and parents are not doing anything about it. If it wasn't for Gym they might not get any exercise!

Id Gym class something you need to "learn" obviously not, but it also teaches health and nutrition and that is valuable.
We played various sports in gym, from flag football to basketball to volleyball to badminton and (my personal favorite) pickleball. It was useful at the time, but now... no. I don't think what I learned or did in gym class is still useful to me, though I enjoyed it at the time. I guess at some level I could say that gym taught me to try to be active every day, but I also learned this from my parents, so I'm not sure I personally can credit gym for it, but I'm sure others can.

Health class and other classes we took in place of gym for a semester or two each year, but taught by our gym teachers, (like CPR) were definitely more useful long-term... though I've forgotten how to do CPR now and am no longer certified. Driver's Ed was actually one of those classes, and considering I drive every day I think it was a useful gym teacher taught gym substitute. I still remember a lot of the road rules we learned. A lot of others can't say they know the rules of the road, as I observe when driving...

Old 10-08-2017, 06:59 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,285,718 times
there are classes that become useful to students because of where they are in their lives at that time. A well taught class in almost any subject led by an engaging and caring teacher can be the most useful class in that student's life. So while it is a worthwhile exercise to look at courses by subject, we ought to leave a significant allowance for classes based on their teacher.

S.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:59 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
We played various sports in gym, from flag football to basketball to volleyball to badminton and (my personal favorite) pickleball. It was useful at the time, but now... no. I don't think what I learned or did in gym class is still useful to me, though I enjoyed it at the time. I guess at some level I could say that gym taught me to try to be active every day, but I also learned this from my parents, so I'm not sure I personally can credit gym for it, but I'm sure others can.

Health class and other classes we took in place of gym for a semester or two each year, but taught by our gym teachers, (like CPR) were definitely more useful long-term... though I've forgotten how to do CPR now and am no longer certified. Driver's Ed was actually one of those classes, and considering I drive every day I think it was a useful gym teacher taught gym substitute. I still remember a lot of the road rules we learned. A lot of others can't say they know the rules of the road, as I observe when driving...
Wow, Jersey. Pickleball and Drivers Ed is all you got out of school?

Personally, I think learning how to summon the courage to cross the basketball court and ask a girl to dance was my big educational achievement. That and Latin.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Wow, Jersey. Pickleball and Drivers Ed is all you got out of school?

Personally, I think learning how to summon the courage to cross the basketball court and ask a girl to dance was my big educational achievement. That and Latin.
LOL For gym, sure. I don't think I had any confidence boosting experiences like yours on the gym floor.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:12 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
LOL For gym, sure. I don't think I had any confidence boosting experiences like yours on the gym floor.
Actually (big dirty secret alert): I only asked nearsighted girls. They all thought I was Biff Biceps, the football quarterback, instead of the little dweeb with hornrimmed glasses and a cowlick...

Old 10-08-2017, 07:58 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinley View Post
On what planet do you live on that makes you incapable of reading a sentence?
On one where a billion people speak English. Please join us. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education