Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 10:54 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Are you saying those in the trades are not smart?
While I wouldn't be apt to ask a plumber about the intricacies of foreign policy, the point was over rampant populist attempts to undermine actual expertise in general, replacing it with baseless propaganda and emotionalism. Nothing good lies down that road.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:14 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Like any large organization, I found that 20% of the time/classes/staff/money I spent in college delivered 80% of the benefit.

I started college in 2004. Most of the professors I had were left-leaning, but they were not far left, and most were honest graders, even if they knew the student to be conservative. You could have a discussion with most of these folks and they were reasonable people. There were only a handful of SJW types.

That has changed over the years. Many subjects that should have no political slant at all now do. People are pushing agendas, not necessarily detached academic rigor.
In what courses? I only had one professor who could be said to be left-leaning, and that was in an African history class, which was an easy class to avoid, as most students did. Politics simply didn't enter into any of the rest of the courses I took for the undergrad degree, so I'm curious as to what all those courses were of yours, that had a political aspect to them. To this day, I have no idea what the politics were or the political party registration was, of any of my professors. It simply wasn't, and still isn't, relevant to my acquaintance with them, and I've stayed in touch with a few.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:15 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,160 times
People need to stop treating college like a glorified trade school.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:19 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,410,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
People need to stop treating college like a glorified trade school.
Electrical engineering is a PROFESSION

Being an Electronics Technician is a TRADE

The transistors cannot tell the difference.

This is social bullsh!t.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:32 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,640,495 times
I came from a poor family. My school counselor told me that I shouldn't even consider going to college because it would be a waste of time and money.

I ignored him and went to college. I had to take student loans out and work while going to school, but I saw it as an investment in myself.

Going to college was the BEST investment I ever made in my life. It changed everything for me. Every single one of my college classes taught me valuable life skills that I am still using today.

It saddens me to hear people spinning the same garbage today that my school counselor was spinning back in the day. If I'd listened to him, my life would have gone in a very different direction.

Last edited by RosieSD; 10-23-2017 at 11:51 AM..

Old 10-23-2017, 11:36 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
ROFL

I a person just reads the books that constitutes a "Liberal Arts" education and does not take the courses, what will they be missing? A teacher paraphrasing the books? I do find it amusing that "Liberal Arts" people make such a big deal about Fahrenheit 451.

Burn those books! LOL
Human nature being what it is, I'd say you probably read a little less closely if you're not getting tested on the material, but I'm sure you are one of the few exceptions.

I expected my PROFESSORS to do more than paraphrase as most of them had PhDs - they usually came through - not sure where you went to school.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:43 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,640,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
Electrical engineering is a PROFESSION

Being an Electronics Technician is a TRADE

The transistors cannot tell the difference.

This is social bullsh!t.
I think you missed the point the poster was trying to make.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:54 AM

67 posts, read 48,452 times
The pace of rise in college tuition is one of the primary motivations for this recent change in attitude. College is factually much more expensive now than in the past as compared to inflation and the cost of many of things. I believe college tuition is one of the few items to outpace the cost of "healthcare" in recent history. The cost of college has to be weighed against its benefits. One of those considerations has to be what kind of return am I going to get on the money spent going to college. It is not anti-intellectualism. It is a question of how does one pay for it and then potentially service the resulting debt.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:02 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,410,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I expected my PROFESSORS to do more than paraphrase as most of them had PhDs - they usually came through - not sure where you went to school.
Illinois Institute of Technology, Electrical Engineering

The Liberal Arts stuff was easy and mostly boring. I resented have to pay as much for that as engineering courses. Wouldn't have taken it if the degree did not require it.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:02 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
I think people are just tired of an over-priced education that often doesn't result in good job opportunities with decent salaries. Even those who choose so-called "smart" majors in STEM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education