Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 08:55 AM

430 posts, read 336,510 times

Advertisements

So my mom has agreed to let my brother move in with me (previous thread and other things im not bringing up). I found a school we both like but he's not doing good in school right now and the school I found pointed out that they're more advanced, plus I'm in a different city.

I called and asked about it, they said if he comes in midway through the year and tests low enough, they'll have him come in as a sophomore and redo junior year. Or they could just play catch up with him and see what happens. Or to wait until the following school year and test him THEN and see if he's ready for his last year.

Since I never had to repeat or anything, I don't know if it'll be beneficial or not. Especially since the schools a STEM based school as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 07:57 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,963,645 times
Better he repeat the year than struggle to keep up.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:32 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,025,740 times
Coming in a as a Junior, He will have a new set of friends he will graduate with. He can take "Senior" classes that would be appropriate for him. If he has completed the class in his old school in (Current Jr) year doing OK (Not failing it) that will use that as a credit in his new school. So his schedule can be a little lighter then a normal schedule. (maybe they can schedule him a Extra Help class).

Some school won't do a "Repeat" of X (Freshman, Soph, JR) years, they just keep him moving "Up" in class status, even if he does not have the credits to be officially a X, but he stays a member of the class 2019, if he does not have the classes/credits to graduate with his class, then they move him to the class of 2020, and he would be a 2nd year senior. If your school system does that, encourage him to be more friendly with the class of 2020, so at the end of next year he does not lose all of his friends when they graduate.

I would suggest maybe summer school? For credit makeup.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:40 AM

2,610 posts, read 2,198,751 times
Do they offer any online classes? Minnesota has online high-school, I don't know how it works though or if you can combine it with typical in class classes. Maybe he needs to go to summer school if offered for any stuff he needs to make up for. Has your brother had a session with the schools counselor regarding his status and his options? Is it specific subjects he is struggling with or is it a issue of changing schools and not keeping up. There are some great online free sites for some subjects such as math... My son used Kahn Academy, free online for math for some things he was struggling with. It has simple elementary level to higher level calculus college level stuff, physics etc.

He may have to do more one summer of summer classes if available. Depends how serious he is with graduating "on time" and what his goals are after high school.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 01-25-2018 at 09:05 AM..

Old 01-25-2018, 10:38 AM

50,926 posts, read 24,432,298 times
To me, a lot of the answer depends on what he plans to do after high school.

Go to university? I'd say repeat.
Go to community college (or no college)? I'd say don't repeat.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:58 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,853,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
To me, a lot of the answer depends on what he plans to do after high school.

Go to university? I'd say repeat.
Go to community college (or no college)? I'd say don't repeat.
This makes sense. If he is already behind, he will likely grow further discouraged and drop even further behind in his preparation for college. Further, since he is new to the school, he shouldn't have a lot of peer pressure if he repeats his Junior year.

Perhaps he could become a Sophomore now -- and catch-up enough in the second half of the year to be better prepared to start over as a Junior in the Fall?

A good part of year one of college repeats things students should have been learned in high school (ie; Freshman English, etc.). This provides an opportunity to recapture what a student missed in high school, unless one's attitude and performance by that point, are beyond recovery.

Finally, even if he decides not to attend college following his Senior year, he may change his mind in the future ... and won't be able to repeat/improve a high school year at that point. Plus, if his high school grades are particularly poor, he might not even be able to get into a regular university.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:32 PM

430 posts, read 336,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
This makes sense. If he is already behind, he will likely grow further discouraged and drop even further behind in his preparation for college. Further, since he is new to the school, he shouldn't have a lot of peer pressure if he repeats his Junior year.

Perhaps he could become a Sophomore now -- and catch-up enough in the second half of the year to be better prepared to start over as a Junior in the Fall?

A good part of year one of college repeats things students should have been learned in high school (ie; Freshman English, etc.). This provides an opportunity to recapture what a student missed in high school, unless one's attitude and performance by that point, are beyond recovery.

Finally, even if he decides not to attend college following his Senior year, he may change his mind in the future ... and won't be able to repeat/improve a high school year at that point. Plus, if his high school grades are particularly poor, he might not even be able to get into a regular university.
Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to talk but here's the situation as of now, to sort of answer questions.

He's doing somewhat okay now, but the school we're considering is more advanced and, according to their counselors, he could be considered behind due to their higher standards. I never did specify, but he IS a junior now. So they were thinking to either have him complete higher level sophomore classes, then redo junior year altogether. If he comes in during the beginning of the school year, however, have him just come in as a junior. Otherwise test him and see if he's ready for senior level classes.

Summer school might be an option, but it highly depends on when he's with me and what the rules are. We are considering moving him in during the summer, so late May/early June, which could complicate that idea a lot. Especially since, if he just goes ahead, he'll be in his senior year and summer school is kind of not an option anymore. Otherwise, he's open to redoing a year.

When it comes to higher education, he wants to go but doesn't know where to go for what he wants to do. Neither do I, to be honest. So he wants to go somewhere, to say the least.

Not saying I WANT him to repeat, but I'm really concerned on what would be better since it is an option given to us by the school.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:40 PM

45,495 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to talk but here's the situation as of now, to sort of answer questions.

He's doing somewhat okay now, but the school we're considering is more advanced and, according to their counselors, he could be considered behind due to their higher standards. I never did specify, but he IS a junior now. So they were thinking to either have him complete higher level sophomore classes, then redo junior year altogether. If he comes in during the beginning of the school year, however, have him just come in as a junior. Otherwise test him and see if he's ready for senior level classes.

Summer school might be an option, but it highly depends on when he's with me and what the rules are. We are considering moving him in during the summer, so late May/early June, which could complicate that idea a lot. Especially since, if he just goes ahead, he'll be in his senior year and summer school is kind of not an option anymore. Otherwise, he's open to redoing a year.

When it comes to higher education, he wants to go but doesn't know where to go for what he wants to do. Neither do I, to be honest. So he wants to go somewhere, to say the least.

Not saying I WANT him to repeat, but I'm really concerned on what would be better since it is an option given to us by the school.
Every school has "higher academic standards" than everybody else.

As mentioned, you really don't repeat a grade in high school. If your brother passes, say, US History with a D he'll move on to the next level, maybe World History. Rarely will a school require someone to repeat a class he passed unless it's a class that a minimum grade must be earned for before moving on to the next level as a graduation completer. If he fails a graduation completer, say Algebra I, then he'll have to repeat that.

If your brother has passed all his graduation completers then he'll graduate. Typically those classes are 4 English, 3 Social Studies, 3 Math, 2/3 Science, Art, PE, maybe a Tech class, possibly 2 years of a foreign language, plus some free electives.

Legions of students graduate every year with a D average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education