Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2019, 07:57 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,617,119 times

Advertisements

A knowledge of plants and animals is not required for a guard job either but it is part of a high school diploma
Boot camp requires scaling a 20 foot wall with a rope you will never see it in combat
These are called standards
They are there to prevent the weak and stupid from taking jobs to protect you and failing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 09:27 AM

17,183 posts, read 23,001,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes. I have seen different years, too.

Interestingly, my elementary school kids are doing algebra concepts right now. Writing equations and solving for x without using "x," per se.
That is also very common now. It was common in elementary school even in the 60s and 70s.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:57 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,107,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. And you don't necessarily know what your child will be doing 20, 30, 40 years from now. The vast majority of kids, including SPED kids, don't end up doing for life what they may have thought they would be doing (or what their parents thought they would be doing) in their adult lives. In fact, we're at a time when we can't even accurately imagine what American life will be like very far down the line.

I know you want public schools to do everything for your child. Well, we just can't. We don't have the funds, we don't have staff, we don't have the money. Most of us do the best we can with the resources we have. And where it isn't enough, you need stop whining and fill in the gaps...just like every other parent needs to do, whether special ed or not.
Maybe you mean well and really want to help. However, and with respect, what you did as a principal in your school is irrelevant to my son's situation.

You make a ton of assumptions about me, my son, about parents of SPED kids and so on. I have homeschooled in the past; we have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on private assessments, on private tutoring, even on private schools.

I am not asking for "the world". I am asking for my son not to have take Geometry and to take a lower level math class instead. There is a math class that includes personal finance, which despite your snide comment that it isn't "rocket science", is useful, practical, and something many Americans learn the hard way. He can't take it because he is *required* to take Geometry. And because he is *required* to take Geometry, he is not learning in a way that is best for him.

If you think that a parent asking for an appropriate level class for their child is "asking for the world" and "whining".... and if you then come up with the same excuses about money and funding and staff shortages and I don't know what, you are part of the problem. To say to a parent who wants not a special class, not more accommodations, just a different class that is *already* offered that they are "whining", is rude and offensive.

Honestly, I think you have missed the entire point of my comments because you wanted to discuss your own experiences. I think further discussion with you would just continue to aggravate both of us.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 12-08-2019 at 11:54 AM..

Old 12-08-2019, 12:36 PM

42,885 posts, read 26,477,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes. I have seen different years, too.

Interestingly, my elementary school kids are doing algebra concepts right now. Writing equations and solving for x without using "x," per se.
yep, my Grandson who's in the 2nd grade has algebra problems in his math homework. I think it's great to introduce it when they are that young.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:51 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,071,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Maybe you mean well and really want to help. However, and with respect, what you did as a principal in your school is irrelevant to my son's situation.

You make a ton of assumptions about me, my son, about parents of SPED kids and so on. I have homeschooled in the past; we have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on private assessments, on private tutoring, even on private schools.

I am not asking for "the world". I am asking for my son not to have take Geometry and to take a lower level math class instead. There is a math class that includes personal finance, which despite your snide comment that it isn't "rocket science", is useful, practical, and something many Americans learn the hard way. He can't take it because he is *required* to take Geometry. And because he is *required* to take Geometry, he is not learning in a way that is best for him.

If you think that a parent asking for an appropriate level class for their child is "asking for the world" and "whining".... and if you then come up with the same excuses about money and funding and staff shortages and I don't know what, you are part of the problem. To say to a parent who wants not a special class, not more accommodations, just a different class that is *already* offered that they are "whining", is rude and offensive.

Honestly, I think you have missed the entire point of my comments because you wanted to discuss your own experiences. I think further discussion with you would just continue to aggravate both of us.
You are the one who thinks "personal finance" would be better for your son than geometry. There is a less than remote possibility that you are wrong. I personally think pushing this "personal finance" stuff in HS is foolish. Kids really don't have a grasp of money until they're out of their parents' home. When living under mom and dad's roof, earning minumum wage (which will be $12/hr on Jan. 1 here in Colorado) at some retail or fast-food job seems like a lot of money. When you have to pay the apartment rent, even if M&D provide the money, it's obvious that's not a lot of money. Ditto paying for clothes, gas, entertainment, what have you.

Old 12-08-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You are the one who thinks "personal finance" would be better for your son than geometry. There is a less than remote possibility that you are wrong. I personally think pushing this "personal finance" stuff in HS is foolish. Kids really don't have a grasp of money until they're out of their parents' home. When living under mom and dad's roof, earning minumum wage (which will be $12/hr on Jan. 1 here in Colorado) at some retail or fast-food job seems like a lot of money. When you have to pay the apartment rent, even if M&D provide the money, it's obvious that's not a lot of money. Ditto paying for clothes, gas, entertainment, what have you.
Everyone in this thread has been discussing "the future"....as in, these different subjects are what kids will need in "the future."

In "the future" it is likely my son will be self-employed or even run his own small business. He will need to understand various tax laws, the ramifications of paying employees and so forth. He will need to understand deductions for business expenses. He will need to understand how and what to bill a client.

Heck, he already works as a freelancer and not in fast food or retail. Maybe you shouldn't put all teenagers in the same box.

Finance goes far beyond clothes and apartment rent.

All of this and more will impact his life far more than knowing how to graph equations.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 12-08-2019 at 01:15 PM..

Old 12-08-2019, 01:43 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,071,772 times
Quote:
Everyone in this thread has been discussing "the future"....as in, these different subjects are what kids will need in "the future."

In "the future" it is likely my son will be self-employed or even run his own small business. He will need to understand various tax laws, the ramifications of paying employees and so forth. He will need to understand deductions for business expenses. He will need to understand how and what to bill a client.

Heck, he already works as a freelancer and not in fast food or retail. Maybe you shouldn't put all teenagers in the same box.

All of this and more will impact his life far more than knowing how to graph equations.
Really? Why I never! Actually, I know that (shockingly since I've handled my own finances for 50 years or so now), but I didn't want to write a PhD thesis this afternoon. I have raised two kids to adulthood and they are not living under bridges, even though they didn't have "personal finance" in high school. In fact, they both are quite good at handling their finances.

Now back to the top. If your son is capable of running his own business, he should be able to pass geometry. Understanding various tax laws, the ramifications of paying employees and so forth; understanding deductions for business expenses and understanding how and what to bill a client is not "personal" finance. If he can learn that stuff, he can learn geometry.

Old 12-08-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Really? Why I never! Actually, I know that (shockingly since I've handled my own finances for 50 years or so now), but I didn't want to write a PhD thesis this afternoon. I have raised two kids to adulthood and they are not living under bridges, even though they didn't have "personal finance" in high school. In fact, they both are quite good at handling their finances.

Now back to the top. If your son is capable of running his own business, he should be able to pass geometry. Understanding various tax laws, the ramifications of paying employees and so forth; understanding deductions for business expenses and understanding how and what to bill a client is not "personal" finance. If he can learn that stuff, he can learn geometry.
Good for you. However, your parenting skills have nothing to do with anything.

Please stop thinking you know my own child better than I do. And if you have not dealt with learning disabilities on a personal level, please stop saying what "should" be possible. You are talking about something that you can't even begin to understand.

Geomoetry and business skills are not the same thing. School in general and running a business are not the same thing. Richard Branson, billionaire CEO of Virgin Atlantic, dropped out of school due to his dyslexia. He has called school "hell on earth." There are literally hundreds of personal accounts from dyslexics who have become hugely successful, all detailing how school was torturous, and that they were able to thrive as adults in spite of school, not because of it.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 12-08-2019 at 02:14 PM..

Old 12-08-2019, 02:39 PM

51,171 posts, read 24,630,842 times
Quote:

1. You attack schools and teachers and administrators. That is not meaning well.
2. What I did as a principal is irrelevant to your son's situation. And the same can be said for every other poster here. Because your son is unique. In reality, what you were looking for here was someone to say they agreed with you.
3. Yes, I made assumptions about you BASED ON YOUR POSTS. When you spent/spend "thousands of dollars" on private assessments, private tutoring, and private schools, then that reinforces my opinion that you want what you want and you keep searching for someone and some organization that agrees with you. I don't know about you, but one of the problems we experienced was parents of SPED kids who wanted some pretty bizarre things, some not based on reality. The example that comes to my mind was the SPED parent at out school who sued the school system for refusing to pay for horseback riding lessons, which was also turned down by the feds.
4. I'm sorry, but if geometry is a requirement for full graduation, then it's a requirement. And it's not the school or school system that decides that...at least not in most states. The requirements for a high school degree are typically set by the state ed department. You're not asking for an accommodation. You're asking for a change in the curriculum requirements. Those are two very different things.
5. Have you asked the school to ALSO allow your son to take the class that includes personal finance as an elective, not as a substitution?
6. You think it's an excuse to mention the issue of funding? The largest department in our school was special ed. And that's fine because it was needed. But when I had a parent who wanted even more staff for their child's needs...I didn't have the funding to pay for more staff. Period.

Old 12-08-2019, 02:42 PM

51,171 posts, read 24,630,842 times
Quote:

The problem is that there are not unlimited boxes. The kind of training you're talking about is beyond the scope of a high school personal finance course. You're talking community college level stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education