Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2021, 07:56 AM

588 posts, read 487,636 times

Advertisements

Which professions music majors choose if they aren’t going into music industry? Is it a necessity to get graduate or professional degrees or is it easy for them to break in to other careers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2021, 09:05 AM

45,444 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Many music majors become music teachers or tutors.

Old 10-07-2021, 10:33 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,043,271 times
There are also interesting positions in business and management.

Old 10-07-2021, 02:30 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
I worked for a state public benefits agency. One of our deputy directors was a music major and another woman who is a top manager was an opera major. The latter is an absolutely incredible trainer- probably the best I’ve had in my career. They always tried to remove her from training, but she was so good that she kept doing encores. The former was also very good at her job.

Old 10-07-2021, 02:45 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Hope20 View Post
Which professions music majors choose if they aren’t going into music industry? Is it a necessity to get graduate or professional degrees or is it easy for them to break in to other careers?
I not only come from a long line of musicians and music majors, but also spent a great deal of time around music majors when I was in college. (I was not a music major myself, but I participated in several university musical organizations and occasionally worked as an accompanist for extra cash.)

Some music majors ended up becoming music educators. Others ended up auditioning for various military bands with several of them making a career of it. One became a music therapist. Still others ended up applying their skills in other, non-musical ways but still gig a fair bit and/or give private lessons.

Depending upon what direction a person would like to go with their major, an undergraduate degree might be all that's necessary to achieve a given goal. For others, more education might be required.

Like so many things in life, the answer to this is, "it depends."

Old 10-08-2021, 09:08 AM

588 posts, read 487,636 times
Thank you

Old 10-09-2021, 04:16 PM

19,808 posts, read 18,110,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Hope20 View Post
My wife has a cousin in LA who has a masters and Ph.D in live guitar performance or some such from USC.
Her general advise to most looking into music as a field of study is to build in a plan B. In other words study music but minor in business or whatever. She didn't do that but she's freakishly talented and was a working pro musician before she went to college.

I heard Dallas Symphony Orchestra concertmaster (first chair violin - he's a professor of music at Indiana FWIIW) Alex Kerr say something very similar.

Old 10-10-2021, 08:33 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,502,929 times
I was a music major and became a music teacher. That was always my plan from the start.

The vast majority of people from my university who were music performance majors did not get positions in performance where they were able to support themselves full time. One person got a local symphony job, but also has a day job (I believe selling insurance.) Mostly, performance majors become private lesson teachers in the public schools, and if they play an instrument that is in high demand (i.e. trumpet, not bassoon), may get gigs on the weekends, too. Choir majors may be able to get a gig singing in local church choirs. That sort of thing. But pretty much all of them teach lessons or have another day job to make ends meet.

Other friends who didn't go into music ed got a general music degree, but then got a masters in something else, and are working in a non-music field now. One became a non-music teacher. Another works in admin.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:27 AM

837 posts, read 776,403 times
I was once a music major (I could have gone either education or performance), but the more people I spoke with the more apprehensive I became so I went with Plan B ultimately (Mechanical Engineering) which gave me the financial stability I wanted.

Trying to get orchestral jobs these days sounds just brutal, and do not pay what they should considering everything that goes into acquiring that level of talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education