Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 08:31 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times

Advertisements

Oh, I agree that romantic relationships aren't the best use of yearbook space, but yearbooks by their very nature are about a snapshot in time. Yearbooks aren't just about official class photos and staged photos of various clubs (and even some of those could lead to uncomfortable memories). There's a lot of potential things to be embarrassed about in high school. This isn't "sexual" in nature, which is what you were earlier suggesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 08:48 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Actually, not for a few years, but that doesn't change my opionion. This is a book intended for posterity. You should be very careful what you put in it .
LOL! Words which should have been spoken when we were all sporting Farrah Fawcett hair in the seventies.

But you're assuming that, while Caitlin and Ashley may be a couple their junior year, they'll be mortified by the reminder at their 20th reunion. Which they may well be, if one of them turns out to be a complete jerk-- but that's also true of straight couples.
Personally, I could live without reminders of my Stevie Nicks phase, and my daughter has requested more than once that I burn the photos of her in full "New Kids on the Block" fan fashion.
If you took everything potentially embarrassing out of a yearbook, you'd have nothing left but a photo of the cafeteria ladies.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:02 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
LOL! Words which should have been spoken when we were all sporting Farrah Fawcett hair in the seventies.

But you're assuming that, while Caitlin and Ashley may be a couple their junior year, they'll be mortified by the reminder at their 20th reunion. Which they may well be, if one of them turns out to be a complete jerk-- but that's also true of straight couples.
Personally, I could live without reminders of my Stevie Nicks phase, and my daughter has requested more than once that I burn the photos of her in full "New Kids on the Block" fan fashion.
If you took everything potentially embarrassing out of a yearbook, you'd have nothing left but a photo of the cafeteria ladies.
Yeah, but but even then, don't ya feel for those poor cafeteria ladies and their hairnets!!!

Old 05-09-2010, 09:04 AM

174 posts, read 516,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
The cafeteria ladies at our school are pretty embarrassing.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:40 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
What's interesting is that nobody has ever complained about the homecoming court and their prospective dates being photographed together for the yearbook these past 75+ years! Or senior class "cutest couple." Or pics of couples dancing to a waltz (oh no!) at the prom.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:10 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
What's interesting is that nobody has ever complained about the homecoming court and their prospective dates being photographed together for the yearbook these past 75+ years! Or senior class "cutest couple." Or pics of couples dancing to a waltz (oh no!) at the prom.

IIRC (my high school didn't have a prom), one of my sisters' yearbook didn't have a photo of the homecoming court with their dates because it would have included an interracial couple.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:08 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Because they're not professing their undying devotion to each other. There is a time and a place for stuff like that and it's not in a yearbook. Personally, I'm glad there are no pictures of me with captions professing my love for someone left in my past.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:43 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Because they're not professing their undying devotion to each other. There is a time and a place for stuff like that and it's not in a yearbook. Personally, I'm glad there are no pictures of me with captions professing my love for someone left in my past.
No, they don't. The exact quote is: "I adore my girlfriend. Megan is so beautiful and she likes me for who I am." Not exactly undying devotion, or even love. I think it's sweet. It's not even so overly romantic that it makes people roll their eyes with the sappy factor, and isn't sexual in any way. In a different context (without the cuddling and the "want to go on a date?" caption) this could be said about many good non-romantic friends, too.

I'm inclined to agree that I think formal romantic couples are best left out of yearbooks (society and school culture does enough pressuring of kids to feel like they should be dating to get the full "high school experience"), but I also think that while I wouldn't choose to do so, it doesn't pass into the realm of should be censored to protect against any future potential embarrassment. Those who want that kind of protection should steer clear of the yearbook altogether, because there's always going to be something to make one cringe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education