Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:15 AM

39 posts, read 215,195 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question.

I am looking for an internship and I wonder how long does a recommendation letter, written by my professor, last?

What happens if I need to use my professor's recommendation letter after a year when I have graduated from my college? Does this mean the recommendation letter has expired?

And then the issue with applying for many jobs. Let say I apply for five jobs that all need an academic reference. How do I send five recommendation letters to each of the five companies when my professor only wrote one for me? Can I copy the only one recommendation letter and send out the 4 copies to the rest of the companies who don't get the original letter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 05:23 AM

148 posts, read 228,753 times
If you use a good color printer and a good quality paper, a copy will be fine. ...It's only when they have used disappearing ink, do you have a problem.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:25 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Many employers do not want letters that are over 18 months. I always upload mine on the computer and just change the dates.

But there are some that only want "recent" employers within the past 12 months or so.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:45 PM

Oh no, I can't get one professor to write 5 recommendation letters, and who has time to write that many?????

Old 05-05-2014, 06:34 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontfret View Post
Oh no, I can't get one professor to write 5 recommendation letters, and who has time to write that many?????
Why would they need to write 5 letters?

Old 05-05-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Why would they need to write 5 letters?
Because I'm applying for 5 different jobs, guess one professor has to write 5 if I were to provide references

Old 05-06-2014, 11:12 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,672,255 times
Whenever I ask someone to write a letter of recommendation, I offer to write it for them. Usually, they are relieved. Then all they have to do is sign it. Unless you put something really outlandish in it.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Whenever I ask someone to write a letter of recommendation, I offer to write it for them. Usually, they are relieved. Then all they have to do is sign it. Unless you put something really outlandish in it.
I did this one time because my supervisor asked me, but I wasn't sure if it was ok in terms of basic letter-request etiquette. I mean it's not considered "presumptuous" or "arrogant" requesting to write my own and let people sign the letter right?

Old 05-06-2014, 02:45 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
Here is how it works. If you have a written letter (not some email garbage) it lasts as long as the person that write it can attest to your qualifications in whatever capacity they are aware of, not one minute longer.

If you are depending on a letter that is five years old, good luck because if you can't dig up another to cover that 5 years, whatever someone wrote then isn't worth squat now. You are leveraging good intentions if you use old letters of recommendation and don't be surprised if the person who wrote the letter qualifies their recommendation if someone wants to verify it. You will looked upon poorly and burned a bridge.

If you need a letter, get one that is current; in other words within the time period that doesn't have a gap between the letter date and the need that you'd have to explain, without another letter from someone else that is consistent in recommendation to the first.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:52 PM

Thanks! This is helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education