Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 04:18 AM

33 posts, read 126,181 times

Advertisements

When I was growing up in the Midwest many of my friends from High School went on to a Public Vocational Technical School. They went to one or two year programs to learn how to be a skilled trades-person. There were great programs to learn how to be an: Air Conditioner repair person, a plumber, an auto mechanic, a baker, cook or audiovisual technician.

Now for some reason, many of these schools were closed. I can not understand why? Don't people need job skills for professions that do not involve a four year college degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 05:02 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
These programs more then likely got moved to a community college.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:14 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
My cousin was in one in Massachusetts. It was a great program, but sadly was where a lot of the "problem" kids ended up because of course they're the only ones who wouldn't want to go to college! In all seriousness though, it's a real tragedy in this country. I know personally, I hate working with my hands and thrive in academia so that was always my path- but most of my friends from high school have no business in college. It's frustrating when I have friends who know they want to be, say, a chef but go to Auburn for restaurant management because that's "what you do". Yes, restaurant management would be helpful one day, but it's not getting him to his goals of being a chef any faster.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:50 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
I think that we might be seeing a start to a trend back to Vocational Training for the high school age group.

It had been the viewpoint of too many so-called "educators" that every child, was entitled to, and should be prepared for a college education. Schools just didn't have enought rooms or teachers to teach everything and vocational subjects got dumped. Why take something like mechanical drawing if you didn't plan to go to college and learn to be an architect? Why take something like typing, if you were going to be a doctor or lawyer? It was a stupid move on the part of many School Boards.

Our school system is working on developing a plan that allows the interested high school student to take classes at our local Technical College. It should work out well as the College has been turning out graduates in many different fields for many years.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:04 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
We have a great "technical institute" for HS kids but peer pressure and parental pressure dictates that only the kids that are not good in academics and behavioral problems go there. Our society has deemed that working with your head is good and cool and working with your hands is dumb and dirty. NOT true, but that's the message sent by the entire society. Just think about our tv shows - Any of the guys on the sit-coms that aren't business guys are not quite smart and have pot bellies. Is that a goal for any HS kid?

Old 11-12-2008, 09:39 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
In Eugene we have job corps, and then we have http://www.networkcharterschool.org/ which allows kids to gain knowledge and experience working with local businesses in various fields. We also have several charter and alternative schools. We are just a smallish' sort of town. If you call your school district or search around their site, perhaps you'll find something? Not sure where you are, but if you're in a bigger city chances are you have a lot more opportunities and resources available to you, they just might take some digging around and playing phone tag to find. Best of luck to you and your son!

Old 11-12-2008, 07:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
My school district here in Colorado has a vo-tech school. Students go 1/2 day to their vocational classes, and 1/2 day to their academic classes. Enrollment is dropping, and they are reorganizing.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:15 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
My ds goes to one in CT. They have a wait list to get in. He goes 9 days to academics, 9 days shop (vocational). He's on a college track and another kid in his shop got a full ride scholarship to a University last year. My ds is expected to be scouted by a local college. My young cousin also goes to the school and she will graduate with a trade-which is great for her, since school has been a struggle for her. At least her future is better than flipping burgers. From my research, most states don't have this system anymore-too bad, since it seems very useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education