Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 05:06 AM

134 posts, read 192,886 times

Advertisements

Such as Nuts, Peanuts, Soy, Wheat, Gluten, Dairy (particularly cows milk), Fish, Shellfish, Eggs!

I have read and know that schools are now banning staples such as the above ingredients just because a minority of students are allergic to them.

This presents the fact that the majority of students who aren't affected by the allergies particularly anaphylaxis to force them to give up their staples to cater to the minority.

Another situation is that what happens to these kids outside of school hours and other place such as shopping places, public parks, etc and what happens by the time these kids leave school altogether and go to work and tertiary studies, are these places going to accommodate these people?

Please comment and share your opinion?

Old 08-19-2016, 06:06 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,779,996 times
Yes depending on the grades, and age of children involved. When the children involved are too young to manage their own administration of medication or children are too young to understand not to eat outside of the cafeteria.

Now you are clearly exaggerating, and I would ask for proof of a ban on ALL of those items. The items typically banned are peanuts and tree nuts because they are life threatening and don't need to be injested to cause a reaction. Indeed one child eating a pb sandwich, then touching another child or surface can be enough to potentially kill someone. That is not true for gluten, wheat, dairy, or egg allergies. So I doubt your premise that those are "banned" from school lunches.

As for after school, most of the time the children will be with a parent who can monitor the situation until children are old enough to do so themselves. Keep in mind that nut allergies (the only one commonly banned) tend to diminish with age and bans are not common in high schools at all.

Last edited by lkb0714; 08-19-2016 at 06:47 AM..

Old 08-19-2016, 06:17 AM

20,132 posts, read 16,220,030 times
Ummm..... It isn't really catering when you have a child that can die within minutes just from sitting next to someone eating the stuff, such as can happen with peanuts. As far as this being a "the school is just catering to a special snowflake because they can't avoid it in the real world" issue, in America at least, the difference is that going those other places is optional, the government isn't forcing you to be there. Schools have a special duty to protect children from harm in part because they become in loco parentis. Aside from the moral obligation to protect the physical wellbeing of the child, if they endanger a child they can, and most likely will, be penalized to the tune of millions of dollars. If nothing else they owe it to the taxpayers who will foot that bill to try avoiding that type of financial liability.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:20 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,012,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
Such as Nuts, Peanuts, Soy, Wheat, Gluten, Dairy (particularly cows milk), Fish, Shellfish, Eggs!

I have read and know that schools are now banning staples such as the above ingredients just because a minority of students are allergic to them.

This presents the fact that the majority of students who aren't affected by the allergies particularly anaphylaxis to force them to give up their staples to cater to the minority.

Another situation is that what happens to these kids outside of school hours and other place such as shopping places, public parks, etc and what happens by the time these kids leave school altogether and go to work and tertiary studies, are these places going to accommodate these people?

Please comment and share your opinion?
The only ban I've ever seen is peanuts. The other things don't generally kill people with allergies to them, and it would be pretty unreasonable for everyone to be gluten-free, dairy-free, etc. I don't even know what they would eat.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:36 AM

8,827 posts, read 15,350,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
The only ban I've ever seen is peanuts. The other things don't generally kill people with allergies to them, and it would be pretty unreasonable for everyone to be gluten-free, dairy-free, etc. I don't even know what they would eat.
I've only heard of nuts and that hasn't been in the whole school, only in a particular classroom or at designated tables at lunch.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:56 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,856,448 times
Ban students with allergies from enrolling in the general population, and set up schools to accommodate their special needs.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:00 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,779,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Ban students with allergies from enrolling in the general population, and set up special schools to accommodate their special needs, and short busses to carry them there.
Illegal. Federally illegal.

Children with a physical disability, like a life threatening food allergy, to the a free and appropriate public education in the LEAST RESTRICTIVE (aka mainstream classroom) possible. There is no federally protected right to eat peanut butter in school.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:30 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,467,620 times
Yes, they absolutely should ban those things. And people who think their kids can't choke down a turkey sandwich instead of peanut butter are the ones who are raising special snowflakes.

No Sandwich Is More Important Than a Child's Life

You Might Be an Asshat if You Think People With Food Allergies Are Ruining Your Life - Real Life Parenting

Old 08-19-2016, 08:20 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,632,200 times
Banning? No. Limits? Yes. I have one with a tree nut allergy. She had to learn to lookout for herself and not depend on others to do that. In the younger grades, I've seen certain snacks in the classroom "banned", but nothing at lunch although there is a peanut free table.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:23 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,278,277 times
It does make me wonder having grown up in the 50's, and eating lunch where so many kids ate peanut butter sandwiches.....why peanut butter wasn't an issue then? Does anyone know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education