Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:44 PM

959 posts, read 1,824,813 times

Advertisements

I did not go to college. It was just not something that I was able to do. My parents were not huge supporters of it and always said if we wanted to go, we had to pay our own way. The govt would not give us any money because they said my parents made to much even though they would not help. So most of us just did not go.

We are all doing reall well for ourselves and it just makes me wonder if college is really NEEDED to get a good job. Sure, it was 100 times harder to get your foot in the door but determination sure did help.

Now, I am not saying college is not a good thing and I will encourage my child and help him go if he wants to.

Anyone else out there that did not go to college but still did OK for themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 04:59 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,697,958 times
I went to college at night, and did keep my day job. I guess I was not, so told, College made?
When you are a young 17, or 18? Anyway, out I did go to the world, and did get a job, at a company.

They did pay me for school, and when older, I did decide I did like to learn. Anyway, I did stay with this company and did well. Regrets noway! I stayed 30 plus years, and even get this lost so called pension.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
25% of americans under 25 have a 4 years degree.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:03 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
My husband did not graduate college (although he started), and ended up with a career as an advertising exec. He retired comfortably at 52. I took management classes my company deemed necessary, but never got a degree. I rose quite high in my company, before leaving to stay at home with my kids.

A college degree is not a necessity, but many people believe it is. My high school senior is very talented when it comes to working with his hands. He is outside right now building a trebuchet for his engineering class. It's a group project, but the others know he is the one who will get it done right. My husband is insisting that he go to college, and he will, but I know it is only the engineering classes that will interest him.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:03 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,580,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
I did not go to college. It was just not something that I was able to do. My parents were not huge supporters of it and always said if we wanted to go, we had to pay our own way. The govt would not give us any money because they said my parents made to much even though they would not help. So most of us just did not go.

We are all doing reall well for ourselves and it just makes me wonder if college is really NEEDED to get a good job. Sure, it was 100 times harder to get your foot in the door but determination sure did help.

Now, I am not saying college is not a good thing and I will encourage my child and help him go if he wants to.

Anyone else out there that did not go to college but still did OK for themselves?
WELL ! let me think went as far as the 10 th grade Quit to work in my fathers gas station , father taught me as much mechanical experance as he knew. From that got tired of the grease changed to autobody mechanic from sweeping the shop to lead person ,then to manager all self taught, move on to custom body and paint self taught again watching some great professionals , murals and such. Retired with health problems from the painting 1989. But still couldn't sit still took 9wks. course in stained glass art work , from there untill now I have supported my self as I travel the country with my 5th wheel trailer. OH yea! in between all this in 2005 I had reason to sue the city that I lived in in a Title 42, 1983 action , With the help of a Law pr4ofessor, doing the paper work , I prevaled after 3 1/2 years , Pro-Per ( I did it as my own attorney) What an education ! and to win . So as you can see , yes education ( Schooling ) is Important , but there are many other types of education . Even self taught works for some people.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:06 PM

45,421 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Lots of people are successful without college. I went, after sitting out a bit, because I didn't want to be a factory laborer the rest of my life. First job after college, actually I was still in, was as a factory laborer.
I look at it this way (teacher hat on): we'll always need plumbers, roofers, electricians, auto techs, etc. Those jobs do need training, but we still need them. The biggest disservice I think we do to our kids is to push college on everyone to the point point we ignore trades. I tell my students the same. Oldest son is a Jr. at UMD in engineering, he works as a kitchen cabinet installer and electrician.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:24 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,197,834 times
I'd rep you, North Beach, but CD won't let me to that screen.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:52 PM

959 posts, read 1,824,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Lots of people are successful without college. I went, after sitting out a bit, because I didn't want to be a factory laborer the rest of my life. First job after college, actually I was still in, was as a factory laborer.
I look at it this way (teacher hat on): we'll always need plumbers, roofers, electricians, auto techs, etc. Those jobs do need training, but we still need them. The biggest disservice I think we do to our kids is to push college on everyone to the point point we ignore trades. I tell my students the same. Oldest son is a Jr. at UMD in engineering, he works as a kitchen cabinet installer and electrician.
You are so absolutely correct. We NEED those people and it seems that everyone is pushing the 4 year degree. My DH comes from a family that insists on college degrees (you can see they love me then ) and they push and push their kids to be "something". I asked my Dh one day what his dad would say if our son grew up and wanted to be a mechanic and he said "he would probably be disappointed". That just makes me so sad. I want my son to follow whatever dreams he has and do what he wants. I will NEVER push him to be something just so I have bragging rights.

Kristine

Old 02-15-2009, 06:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
I think my husband is pushing our son to get a degree is so that he will have a choice. Personally, I think he would be very happy being an auto mechanic, and neither of us will be upset if that happens. But, getting the degree will open up his options before he has to make that decision.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:01 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,263 times
I am a firm believer that going to college for the sake of going to college is a waste of time and money. DH did not go to college, and he has a very good job installing and servicing signs that is able to support us (him, me, and two children) with me not working full time. I did not go to college, and I'm a freelance writer who works maybe 10 hours per week. Before having kids, I made a very good income handling the insurance billing for a dental office and managing the front office.

I will encourage my children to think about what they'd like to do, and to find a position doing just that that will be able to support them. If that dream includes college, then great! If not, that's even better. Not everybody needs to go to college, and many, many people are very successful without a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education