Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 06:15 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I would pull my kid out... Thank god for private schools!

My child is in school to learn not to watch an inauguration of a president.
You didn't see schools sticking young children in front of a TV when 9/11 happened did you?
No. Perhaps due to content BUT that was historical too.

They are in school to learn. And to be honest most kids could give a crap about watching something like this unless they are older and have an understanding of it, to them it's just a FREE PASS out of class.
There are other ways to learn besides kids sitting at desks and teachers going blah blah blah. Learning does not have to be painful and kids can learn from enjoyable experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 07:02 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
But that ritual is watching the peaceful transference of power from one duly elected President to another duly elected President. In a world rife with terrorists, dictators, corrupt governments and "pretend" elections, I think that ritual is pretty remarkable.
This is an important event. However, it has not been common practice to interrupt classes for an inauguration for at least the past 20 years in most school districts. Since it is Black History Month and many schools incorporate the study of civil rights and black history into their curriculum the witnessing of this historic event can certainly be justified as an exception to past practice.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:15 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Quote:

You didn't see schools sticking young children in front of a TV when 9/11 happened did you?

They are in school to learn. And to be honest most kids could give a crap about watching something like this unless they are older and have an understanding of it, to them it's just a FREE PASS out of class.
Actually the school I worked in at the time initially did have us turn on the televisions after the first crash. The kids watched as the second plane hit. In retrospect I don't think it was the right move. None of us had time to digest it and many of the kids reacted with inappropriate responses. Who knows what long-term affects the experience had on some of the students especially those who lost love ones in that tragic event. The response of some of the middle eastern students supporting Bin Liden created tension and jeopardized their safety and peer relationships.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:36 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I disagree.
Over the years, I improved more on my math skills and I found it had to do with the quality of the teacher I had.
In one middle school I attended, one of our math teachers improved the math scores of the students and many of the students she taught went on to do better on future exams.
One teacher can make the difference.
How do you know this? Your standardized test scores are not made available to you, let alone the knowledge of what you got right or wrong. Because of that, the kids have know idea of their strengths and weaknesses. The test is supposed to be that way, and that is why students generally receive the same score year after year.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:44 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:

Our private school is watching it.
Most good teachers won't just bring the kids to 'watch TV' for an hour. There will be discussion, projects, reading, etc before and after.
Would you be ok with it if it were a different president being inaugurated?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:44 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times
Quote:

Actually, I did watch 9/11 at school

Old 01-17-2009, 08:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
This is an important event. However, it has not been common practice to interrupt classes for an inauguration for at least the past 20 years in most school districts. Since it is Black History Month and many schools incorporate the study of civil rights and black history into their curriculum the witnessing of this historic event can certainly be justified as an exception to past practice.
It is common practice to cancel class for practically everything else. I think this has more to do with the politics of the president-elect than anything else. You don't hear parents complaining about spending a half-day or so doing "Track and Field Day" or many other activities. It is considered part of a well-rounded education. As I previously posted, my DH watched Kennedy's inauguration in 1961, as did some others on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
How do you know this? Your standardized test scores are not made available to you, let alone the knowledge of what you got right or wrong. Because of that, the kids have know idea of their strengths and weaknesses. The test is supposed to be that way, and that is why students generally receive the same score year after year.
You do get your test results in Colorado. Not the exact score, but which category (proficient, advanced proficient, etc).

Old 01-17-2009, 09:18 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
I am thinking about taking my son out of school in order to watch it with me. I am taking the day off work to sit on the couch and watch it. This is history!!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:13 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:

learning: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com definition: The act, process, or experience of gaining knowledge or skill.
Knowledge or skill gained through schooling or study. See synonyms at knowledge.

There are lots of ways to learn, watching historic events happen live is (imho) one of them.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:09 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,375,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Since it is Black History Month and many schools incorporate the study of civil rights and black history into their curriculum the witnessing of this historic event can certainly be justified as an exception to past practice.
Actually, Black history month is in February, but I see your point. But even if it weren't BHM, and there were no such thing as a month that honors Black people, this is the first time any self described Black person, i.e. mostly non-Caucasian person has EVER been elected to the most powerful post in the world. History!!!!! Why wouldn't you want your kid to see that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education