Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:26 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
actually i was one of those disruptive students in class.

please don't put those children next to your star students. i was put next to the star student and in return that student got in trouble because i influenced them to talk.

i've been put in the back of the room, with no real effect. this problem has to be very difficult to deal with.

calling dad for a boy would certainly help, and mom for a girl in most instances.

also, pulling that kid out in the hall and having a conversation with them one on one in a calm voice would help.
I agree, do NOT put a very disrputive student next to ANY other student. Putting their desk by itself is the best thing. This was one of the reasons WHY we had a meeting w/ the teachers at school recently. In all 3 classes the teachers thought they were doing "good" by putting the disruptive student next to our very quiet and accomodating daughter. Then she ended up getting in trouble for talking, not finishing her work because of the disruptions (easily distracted herself), etc. Problem is the teachers did not tell each other that they had put different disruptive students by our daughter in their class. So she was stuck beside a different one in EVERY SUBJECT all day long.

Of every child that was a behavior problem that I've seen moved to the back of the class or right next to the teacher........ I've not seen one single one that actually improved. Same kids all year long year after year sitting bside the teacher or in the back of the room with little to no improvements in their behavior. Pulling their desk to the side away from others or just dividing EVERYONE up so that no two desks are beside each other (touching and leaving enough room to walk completely around them) is probably the best thing to do. For group activities they can always sit in the floor in an open area. This at least lets them move and not be sitting in one spot all day.

Calling the parents is about the only thing that I have seen that actually works. I might not be a teacher but a lot of my friends are and they tell me plenty of stories plus I've been a volunteer at both of my kids schools in the classroom. Notes home are not the best way to actually convey what is going on in the classroom on a day to day basis. Sure a note home for one thing every now and then is fine. Notes home everyday or even once a week......... parents will blow it off. CALLING THEM every single time something happens even if it is multiple times a day DOES WORK.

I've seen this work many times. Pulling the kid out in the hallway to talk to them instead of in front of their classmates. The only time this does not work is if it is repetitive all day long every single day. If they are not correcting their behavior after the first few times of discussing the problem w/ them face to face in a quiet and calm matter........ it is not going to.

Something I've always been amazed at. The teachers that actually have the softest voice that you have to strain to hear what they are saying tend to have the quietest class. The kids for some reason automatically lower their own voices and tune into the teacher as they know they will not be able to hear them over the noise of other students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 AM

41 posts, read 107,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I agree, do NOT put a very disrputive student next to ANY other student. Putting their desk by itself is the best thing. This was one of the reasons WHY we had a meeting w/ the teachers at school recently. In all 3 classes the teachers thought they were doing "good" by putting the disruptive student next to our very quiet and accomodating daughter. Then she ended up getting in trouble for talking, not finishing her work because of the disruptions (easily distracted herself), etc. Problem is the teachers did not tell each other that they had put different disruptive students by our daughter in their class. So she was stuck beside a different one in EVERY SUBJECT all day long.

Of every child that was a behavior problem that I've seen moved to the back of the class or right next to the teacher........ I've not seen one single one that actually improved. Same kids all year long year after year sitting bside the teacher or in the back of the room with little to no improvements in their behavior. Pulling their desk to the side away from others or just dividing EVERYONE up so that no two desks are beside each other (touching and leaving enough room to walk completely around them) is probably the best thing to do. For group activities they can always sit in the floor in an open area. This at least lets them move and not be sitting in one spot all day.

Calling the parents is about the only thing that I have seen that actually works. I might not be a teacher but a lot of my friends are and they tell me plenty of stories plus I've been a volunteer at both of my kids schools in the classroom. Notes home are not the best way to actually convey what is going on in the classroom on a day to day basis. Sure a note home for one thing every now and then is fine. Notes home everyday or even once a week......... parents will blow it off. CALLING THEM every single time something happens even if it is multiple times a day DOES WORK.

I've seen this work many times. Pulling the kid out in the hallway to talk to them instead of in front of their classmates. The only time this does not work is if it is repetitive all day long every single day. If they are not correcting their behavior after the first few times of discussing the problem w/ them face to face in a quiet and calm matter........ it is not going to.

Something I've always been amazed at. The teachers that actually have the softest voice that you have to strain to hear what they are saying tend to have the quietest class. The kids for some reason automatically lower their own voices and tune into the teacher as they know they will not be able to hear them over the noise of other students.
You might want to also have the school counselor get in on it , calling the parents might get the kid beat when he gets home , especialy if a parent thinks they are going to loose time on the job dealing with the kid

Old 01-21-2009, 11:53 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
i'm 25 now, so it wasn't a rotten system but more an out going personality. i was bored in school, i had a lot of friends and didn't have the respect for authority i should have.
Maybe you were smart and bored.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:05 PM

542 posts, read 1,449,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Maybe you were smart and bored.
i got in some advanced classes and such. that had nothing to do with my discipline though. the reality is, i was a bad student, i had more interest in socializing, than paying attention. when i got to middle school, i was in advanced math classes, i ended up failing because i had no interest in paying attention or doing the homework.

in elementry school (which is what the thread starter was particularly talking about), my grades were great. although, every one of my progress reports, and report cards would say "tends to talk to much, disrupts class".
the truth is, my parents were never involved enough in my school work. they would punish me if i did poorly in school or got in trouble; but they weren't there at the point of attack. they didn't make sure i was focused everyday on doing my homework. they would go to parent teacher conferences, but besides that had no role in my education. i'm not making excuses though. i'm just stating that as an immature kid, i wasn't being molded into a good student. instead i was left alone to choose and suffer the consiquences later.
the thread starter(teacher) really has little control over those things though, and she can only control so much. if we turned this topic into cause, instead of solution, i would certainly point my finger directly at parenting.

p.s. i had great parents. especially my father, they just didn't emphasize education enough to me as a child. that is something i will make sure to focus on when i become a parent.

good luck to any of you that have these problems with your kids

p.s.s. please don't think these disruptive students are less intelligent, just because they are not well behaved.

p.s.s.s. obviously, i didn't excel in english. noted by the run-on sentences above.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:01 PM

I think many parents believe it is the schools job to educate. After all, that's what they are paid to do, right? A bit of sarcasm, there...

So, part of what I take from your post and others is that the parent above (OP), as well as the other student's parents, should go to the conference with the attitude of what do we (teacher, principal, and parents) need to do to turn things around; instead of both sides being confrontational they should be in a problem solving mode. And, somewhere in the conference, the parents could ask about having more input to their questions about homework and so forth. Whenever there is a drastic change in grades or behavior, my perception is that there must a problem or group of problems.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:11 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
I think many parents believe it is the schools job to educate. After all, that's what they are paid to do, right? A bit of sarcasm, there...

So, part of what I take from your post and others is that the parent above (OP), as well as the other student's parents, should go to the conference with the attitude of what do we (teacher, principal, and parents) need to do to turn things around; instead of both sides being confrontational they should be in a problem solving mode. And, somewhere in the conference, the parents could ask about having more input to their questions about homework and so forth. Whenever there is a drastic change in grades or behavior, my perception is that there must a problem or group of problems.

No, you got it all wrong. The schools are BABYSITTERS

I have a solution to the homework problem and getting the parents feet held to the fire as well. Do what my oldest daughters school did. They had a DAILY assignment notebook. In each subject they had to write down their work and homework, when it was due, etc. EVERY DAY the parents had to sign it and send it back the next day w/ their child. I did tell my daughter as she got older (4th & 5th grades) that it was going to become HER responsibility to make sure she gave it to me to sign. With other after school activities it would be easy for me to forget. Since she was the one that had to pull it out of her backpack to do her homework she could hand it to me then. Which gave me a chance to see exactly how much homework she had and that she was doing it and not putting it off.

I do agree that some of the kids w/ behavior problems simply have parent(s) that don't bother to pay close attention to what is going on. They may not realize that things going on at home be it a divorce, parent lost a job, illness, death in the family (even a Grandparents death) ALL can have an effect on a child and their behavior at schoo. Some kids don't feel they are getting enough attention and the only time they do is when they are bad. Without knowing what they are really doing they are seeking attention anyway they can get it and that includes by bad behavior. Parents need to know that their child is having a behavior problem at school and if the parents are open enough with THEMSELVES to admit there might be a problem and also tell the school then a LOT can be done to help the child. When a parent denies there is a problem and just thinks their child is a "problem" is when there are WAY MORE problems going on. And I'm not talking about kids that really do have a problem of their own that does not involve bad parenting. That is a WHOLE NOTHER topic.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:

i'm saying the parents need to be involved with there student everyday. not just at conference time. whenyour kid comes home from school, ask if he has homework. email the teacher from time to time to see if things are going well. make your kid to his homework out in the open with the tv off. help them when they need it. put your child first. i had times when i would ask for help with my homework, and the parent i asked sayed i'll get to it when this tv show is over. as a kid, i'm like screw it. as well as offended. check over there homework. don't give them the answers, help them find it themselves, etc. basically stress at home how important homework is, and make it a routine (not a chore) a routine.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
No, you got it all wrong. The schools are BABYSITTERS

I have a solution to the homework problem and getting the parents feet held to the fire as well. Do what my oldest daughters school did. They had a DAILY assignment notebook. In each subject they had to write down their work and homework, when it was due, etc. EVERY DAY the parents had to sign it and send it back the next day w/ their child. I did tell my daughter as she got older (4th & 5th grades) that it was going to become HER responsibility to make sure she gave it to me to sign. With other after school activities it would be easy for me to forget. Since she was the one that had to pull it out of her backpack to do her homework she could hand it to me then. Which gave me a chance to see exactly how much homework she had and that she was doing it and not putting it off.

I do agree that some of the kids w/ behavior problems simply have parent(s) that don't bother to pay close attention to what is going on. They may not realize that things going on at home be it a divorce, parent lost a job, illness, death in the family (even a Grandparents death) ALL can have an effect on a child and their behavior at schoo. Some kids don't feel they are getting enough attention and the only time they do is when they are bad. Without knowing what they are really doing they are seeking attention anyway they can get it and that includes by bad behavior. Parents need to know that their child is having a behavior problem at school and if the parents are open enough with THEMSELVES to admit there might be a problem and also tell the school then a LOT can be done to help the child. When a parent denies there is a problem and just thinks their child is a "problem" is when there are WAY MORE problems going on. And I'm not talking about kids that really do have a problem of their own that does not involve bad parenting. That is a WHOLE NOTHER topic.
i had assignment books in shool, but they didn't have to be signed. i like the idea of having to have them signed. in addition, the teacher can write notes that s/he wants the parent to know in the book.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
You have done all reasonable accommodations. In my state, there's a law that basically states that if the student continues to be a disruption after the progressive discipline procedures have been followed, the teacher may ask for his or her removal from the class in order that education can take place. I don't know if your district or state has that law. If not, I would continue to suspend the child if his behavior merits suspension in any way and ask your principal if there is some way he can be removed from class because he is hurting the education of the other kids in the room, and their rights are therefore being violated.

I'm so sorry.
Thanks. We have done a SST on him, and it looks like that he may put him on a modified day.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Thanks. We have done a SST on him, and it looks like that he may put him on a modified day.
Maybe you could give us an update, down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education