Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 04:24 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly c's View Post
...calling the parents might get the kid beat when he gets home...
I certainly hope so.
Teachers have enough to do already.
They just don't have the time to administer a proper beating, regardless of how much the little monster needs it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 02:26 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,423,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I certainly hope so.
Teachers have enough to do already.
They just don't have the time to administer a proper beating, regardless of how much the little monster needs it.
I'm lol. Some kids can be whipped until they are black and blue, but that's not the solution either. I'm thinking of having kids like the one I have been dealing with be put on modified days. It would be nice if we had a classroom where he could be placed and where the instruction is modified. I'm not saying this class be similar to a Special Ed class or he being even placed in one. But this child still gets instruction that challenges him and helps him learn in an environment where there are less distractions and less kids so that he can get that intimate attention he so desperately needs.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:49 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,610 times
I teach 7th grade in the school from Hell! 7th grade is difficult in any school, but my students this year are across the line. Just last week one of them screamed at me "I'll kill you, you ____ ____ _____." I was in the process of writing a referral because he told me to "shut up" and had the student in the hall. I quickly turned, went back in my room, locked the door and called security. When the guardian was called she said "I'm on my way." She hasn't made it to the school yet, three days later. And on top of the parents non-concern, my principal thinks I should allow him back into my class. No wonder my blood pressure is through the roof.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I teach 7th grade in the school from Hell! 7th grade is difficult in any school, but my students this year are across the line. Just last week one of them screamed at me "I'll kill you, you ____ ____ _____." I was in the process of writing a referral because he told me to "shut up" and had the student in the hall. I quickly turned, went back in my room, locked the door and called security. When the guardian was called she said "I'm on my way." She hasn't made it to the school yet, three days later. And on top of the parents non-concern, my principal thinks I should allow him back into my class. No wonder my blood pressure is through the roof.
Yeah, how sad. So many of our teachers have to deal with so much these days. It's so sad how the public still thinks that schools are like they were 20 or 30 years ago. NOT at all!

Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,130,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Did the principal give any reasons for saying that? I don't think any student should be able to get away with threats, whether or not they were serious about it. Heck, I'd talk to the police.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:03 AM

Update on my student who was giving me so many discipline problems. We put him on a behavioral contract, and it's working. He has to take it home daily so that mom can read about his behavior for the day. He is still having problems focusing in class, even after I moved him closer to the front of the class. But again, his behavior has improved tremendously and I am happy for him as well.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:05 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
this seems very unfair.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:38 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Update on my student who was giving me so many discipline problems. We put him on a behavioral contract, and it's working. He has to take it home daily so that mom can read about his behavior for the day. He is still having problems focusing in class, even after I moved him closer to the front of the class. But again, his behavior has improved tremendously and I am happy for him as well.
Possible he has ADD or ADHD.
It's also possible he needs his eyes checked.
Do you feel he is emotionally old enough to be in that grade?

This is when ADD/ADHD starts showing, usually 3rd or 4th grade because the classrooms / learning changes. 5th grade is probably going to be the pits for him if he can't get it under control. The kid is also older, you have peer pressure.

With my daughter, 4th was the hardest. They weren't treated like "babies" any more, they were also in their seats more. She started being a social butterfly, could not stop talking in class. She had to touch base with everyone. I tried to get her evaluated, they kept turning me down until the end of 5th grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
i am not a teacher, actually i was one of those disruptive students in class. i had all those things you mentioned happen to me. please don't put those children next to your star students. i was put next to the star student and in return that student got in trouble because i influenced them to talk. i've been put in the back of the room, with no real effect. this problem has to be very difficult to deal with. calling dad for a boy would certainly help, and mom for a girl in most instances. also, pulling that kid out in the hall and having a conversation with them one on one in a calm voice would help. i always responded better when i felt the teacher was making a connection with just me. in addition, it might help if you switched up things more often, maybe get them interested more. also, notice when they do something good and show how well they can do when they apply themselves. call on them for help with something. in general get the parents ver involved and try to involve the student more so he feels he has a role in the class. i hope somehow this might help. these are just from my experiences as a student.
I also had problems - calling my parents didn't help me want to learn. I hated school, had no use for it.

Had I been diagnosed with ADHD back then would it have helped? Probably.
My mind used to race all day, there was no way I could focus. I also had everyone reminding me how unlike my sisters I was; I had this high standard that I could not meet. Of course on the home front, I was compared there too, so everyone "knew" I could do it because they could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
i'm 25 now, so it wasn't a rotten system but more an out going personality. i was bored in school, i had a lot of friends and didn't have the respect for authority i should have.
I had respect for authority but it didn't change my wanting to talk.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:01 AM

57 posts, read 188,367 times
I teach 6th grade middle school social studies and Dual Language English. If a student chronically acts up, for the most part they will sit just outside my door and listen and learn from there. IF they still cannot handle the priviledge of being in my classroom to learn with the other students, then they will make up the time during lunch, before school or after. If that still doesn't work...then saturday school all the way!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:10 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,519,673 times
having been a most docile and attentive kid, and hearing of these woes now... well it would be most interesting to find out the real reasons leading to such - unwelcome? - behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education