Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:21 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
How might I encourage a stronger stand by the admin?

And what is needed for the school to make to make a strong case? I mean... would a court appointed official come and observe? That'd be fine by me but I've never heard of that happening...
My experience is that parents threaten to sue if they don't get their way and the school capitulates to the parents demands. IMO schools should call parents on it and let them litigate. Make the parents stand up and spend their own money making their case in court.

My bet is that if that happened you would have far fewer parents being able to use the threat of litigation against schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 09:29 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
I guess I just have to wait for the magical behavior interventions to be presented at the IEP meeting. Wish me luck.
If I were you I would definitely make sure I was at the IEP meeting, and I would want the aide there as well, and push for stronger consequences.

I am sorry this is going on. I have a child who has poor self control and low frustration tolerance and lashes out sometimes, but has not been physically aggressive towards adults. He has spent his fair share of days in ISS. In 1st grade (at a private school with no services) he did have a one day suspension and the principal told him he had better shape up or he would have to leave the school permanently. We ended up moving a few mos later but it did shape him up a bit.

Unfortunately if the parent is not on board with you guys its going to be rough.

Good luck. I hope you get to do an IEP review soon.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:35 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,780 times
Quote:
My experience is that parents threaten to sue if they don't get their way and the school capitulates to the parents demands.
That's definitely a pattern with this family (similar situation with an older child years ago). I do think the more we've given everything she wants, the worse it has gotten. It just seems to add fuel to fire. But still, I'm stumped about how the school would go about proving they've done their part. And it was my understanding that there would not necessarily be a financial outlay for this on the parent's part? I mean, what if it was a parent in poverty who genuinely did need to challenge a district for failure to provide services?

IEP review is tomorrow. I'm eager for it and dreading it all at the same time. Not one of those quick and happy IEPs.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:44 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
I *think* that the district has to pay the court costs back if the parent wins. I do think the parent has to pony up the money or find a lawyer and experts that are willing to wait for payment. I know some parents take districts to court to get children with things like severe bipolar or severe autism into special schools. I am pretty sure they are advised that it can be a very costly undertaking.

Good luck tomorrow.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:27 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,243 times
The school district's discipline plan should address hitting. The principal can suspend a young child for intentionally hitting a teacher. It all depends on the principal. I also think that how the teacher reacts is a factor. I would tell the principal that you will not accept being hit by your students. That is not in the job description. I would also look into ways that the parents can be held accountable for their violent children. You may even be able to call the cops if a student hits you. I'm not saying that you have to, I'm just saying that it may be an option.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:18 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
EVERYTHING should be documented, and in a case like this, maybe on videotape (surveillance cameras?).

What ever happened to "Least restrictive environment"? It doesn't even exist anymore. That was what they put into place when all the de-institutionalizing happened. Now it seems parents want their kids in normal classrooms all day and some just plain don't belong in normal classrooms. One severely disabled, disruptive student robs every other student in that classroom of their deserved education.

Makes me sick.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:39 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
I think in most Texas districts, the kids get sent to discipline alternative school. It may be a state-mandated placement actually that would apply in every district. And a kid as young as 6 would have to be sent there for any mandatory offense.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:06 PM

502 posts, read 1,736,019 times
If a child hits me in school then I will press charges. I don't care how old or for what reason - attacking an authority figure is wrong.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:52 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,780 times
IEP went ok... not heated or anything, anyway. It's a frustrating process... they always end this way and flare up again later. And I always come out feeling like I've been told to simulatanously be firmer and more lenient. That part is no different this time.

We came up with a plan that's ok with me for now, we'll see how it goes. Time out in a completely empty room, with everybody feeling that most likely, it'll only take a couple of following through on these incidents for the kid to make up his mind not to do this anymore. He's pretty smart. And at least it is something that everyone, at least at this point, will agree to. I guess we'll revisit it later if that prediction does not turn out to be true.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
cant speak for it everywhere but the areas i know much is unreported. assaults on teachers sometimes those assaults are sexual.
how do they handle it, under the rug friend, under the rug.
do you want that good paying job, do you wana pay off that big fat student loan, then shutup.
the welfare department staff is full of credentialed teachers here, does this tell you anything?

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-06-2009 at 07:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education