Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:08 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoptheinsanity View Post
Seriously? Have you ever personally dealt with a school on this matter? My daughter has an epi pen and at first we followed the guidelines on where and how it was to be stored, but when THEY couldn't find it, we decided she would carry it with her. There was no excuse for this girl to die!
You need to read the whole story the the OP posted...

And yes I have had to deal with a school on a sick child matter.

"""Larson prescribed the EpiPen, an injectable dose of epinephrine, for an allergic emergency""", records show. Mercedes suffered both food allergies and asthma."

YOU need to talk to her Doctor..

Read the part with the triple quotes on it.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 12:12 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
I think it just goes to show that if your child has a serious illness, you need to take matters into your own hands and NEVER trust anybody.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:14 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoptheinsanity View Post
Seriously? Have you ever personally dealt with a school on this matter? My daughter has an epi pen and at first we followed the guidelines on where and how it was to be stored, but when THEY couldn't find it, we decided she would carry it with her. There was no excuse for this girl to die!
My point exactly. You can never trust anyone else to understand the seriousness of such on illness. They don't live with it on a day to day basis. They've never experienced the fear of watching a near-death experience until, well, it's too late...

Old 03-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I think it just goes to show that if your child has a serious illness, you need to take matters into your own hands and NEVER trust anybody.
I know you have to keep a real close eye on what's going on... Never put your child's health care in the hands of anyone other than a Doctor and then be sure to ask lots of questions.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:42 PM

733 posts, read 1,928,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You need to read the whole story the the OP posted...

And yes I have had to deal with a school on a sick child matter.

"""Larson prescribed the EpiPen, an injectable dose of epinephrine, for an allergic emergency""", records show. Mercedes suffered both food allergies and asthma."

YOU need to talk to her Doctor..

Read the part with the triple quotes on it.......
You may want to read it yourself. The fact is, if you have allergies, they can CAUSE asthma, and it WOULD be the treatment for an attack.

I suffer from severe allergies and it can cause me to have an asthma attack. The treatment? ....... an epi-pen.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Before this goes any further, I will say that I am sorry for the parents' loss and can understand their motivation for suing.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
You may want to read it yourself. The fact is, if you have allergies, they can CAUSE asthma, and it WOULD be the treatment for an attack.

I suffer from severe allergies and it can cause me to have an asthma attack. The treatment? ....... an epi-pen.
I did read it and he the Doctor ...

"Larson """prescribed"""" the EpiPen, an injectable dose of epinephrine, for an allergic emergency"

NOT ASTHMA... As I have said go talk to her Doctor...

Maybe your Doctor prescribed it knowing your case and maybe her Doctor prescribed it knowing her case. I guess you have seen her prescription and I haven't...I know mine have instructions for me, not the guy down the street taking the same medicine..

"""Larson’s orders don’t stipulate the EpiPen must be used in an asthma attack,"""""<<<<in the story.....

And I have said I don't think the school is 100% innocent in this but not as guilty as some of you think they are...

Old 03-09-2009, 01:08 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:

And I have said I don't think the school is 100% innocent in this but not as guilty as some of you think they are...
Agreed 911 was called ASAP ad help was on the way. The inhaler was used as prescribed *for asthma*. I can't see the negligence here. Also someone else pointed out that school didn't start till 8:50 AM and immediately after being dropped off at 8:15 AM she was having problems. Maybe some negligence on the folks who dropped her off?

What are the parents going to do with $15,000,000 and no kid? This is one of those things where life isn't fair and chit happens.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:29 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times
Quote:
"Larson’s orders don’t stipulate the EpiPen must be used in an asthma attack,"

Above is from her own Doctor...May be HE should have spelled out a little better, what do you think?

I suggest you read the whole story and don't leave out the parts you don't like..

Yes it is very sad that this happened and could it have been handled better, I don't know, I wasn't there. Were you?

I read the story and It seems the people at the school did all they could do not being medical personnel.

And as far as the school funding goes, have it increased so they can afford to keep a full time RN on duty...

All her parents would have had to do was have a note from her Doctor for her to have the EpiPen and instructions with her at all times.

I'm not saying the school is 100% innocent on this, but there seems to be other factors involved.

Starting with her family and Doctor.
I agree that parents and doctors need to take a child's asthma management plan more seriously. Often parents hand the plan to their doctor and say "you just need to sign this". The instructions are hastily written in or lines are left blank.

Parents and doctors need to remember that a written asthma management plan may be all the nurse or clinic worker has to go by when dealing with an acute asthma flare-up. They need clear, written directions specific for each student.

Parents should give the doctor plenty of time to do their job properly - don't just hand them a form at the end of the visit and expect them to take time then to complete. Offer to pick it up later or give them a fax number.

School nurses or clinic workers should read each plan when it is handed in and make sure that it contains all the information that it needs - if not send it back for more complete directions.

This situation is a tragedy that could have been prevented!

Old 03-09-2009, 02:03 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,960 times
[quote=afoigrokerkok;7803438]How long ago was this? You have to figure in inflation.

4 years ago. And the cost has not gone up much since then, I checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education