Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 10:36 PM

947 posts, read 922,220 times

Advertisements

My daughter is interested in it, because all her cousins play it. My husband doesn't want her playing video games. I don't mind playing some, if they are educational. Many people say that Minecraft is educational, but is it or not? What do kids learn from it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 12:16 PM

1,010 posts, read 2,462,344 times
If you have to ask, then you already have your answer.

Any "educational" value is negligible.

Old 11-26-2016, 01:12 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,939 times
While I wouldn't put it in the category of "educational," it is a better way, Imo, to spend time than many other video options. I would say that Minecraft does foster creativity and problem-solving skills, and it lacks bloodlust and the overt and realistic violence some other games have in spades. I believe entertainment is fine, and Minecraft entertainment (in moderation) is a good choice as far as video games go. But I wouldn't put it into the educational category, so to speak.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:20 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,085,720 times
So... What is your problem with video games? Do you apply the same standard of "educational" quality to other forms of media? Because there is nothing fundamental to games that make them worse than other toys/media for child development. If anything they are better than movies because while movies are passive games at least engage children in actual cognition and critical thinking.

As for Minecraft itself I don't know that I would put it in the educational box per se. (Educational games are generally terrible at educating anyway) What I will say is that if you let your kids play with building blocks and Legos then you should let them play with Minecraft too because it is a very similar style of play. Minecraft is all about creativity combined with the ability to learn and understand systems... So yeah, those are some good qualities for kids to have that will benefit them in school/life. Just don't expect them to be memorizing a bunch of useless trivia like most "Educational Games" seem to do.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:23 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
why does it have to be educational?

is playing sports educational or just fun? what about reading a fiction book?

sometimes letting kids enjoy a hour or two isn't bad

you "could" make minecraft educational, play game with her, then teach her how to setup a room and make it whatever you want based on real world examples. Or use it to teach her math or programming

Old 11-27-2016, 08:08 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
There is an education edition of minecraft.

https://education.minecraft.net/

Also, the original game teaches kids to set and finish goals, to understand shapes and space (and so geometry) and to be part of a team. It is great for kids who struggle socially. It has no blood and gore.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:42 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times
It's kind of civil engineering lite. A bit of electrical engineering too now that they have red stones. I agree to play the game well it takes a lot of strategic planning, so it makes kids think ahead and even work as a team if they play with other people. It even has inspired some kids to learn to code.

In short it's harmless fun that sharpens some logical skills. Just put limits on the time she spends playing.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:54 PM

804 posts, read 546,260 times
You can use video-games and other creative tools to make a point across. However the short answer is no. There are more complex design tools out there and if you use mine-craft to draw a point across then good for you. I used the SIMS2 in a drafting class in college. Professed pointed out the lack of ventilation systems in the housing structures.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:01 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,529,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
My daughter is interested in it, because all her cousins play it. My husband doesn't want her playing video games. I don't mind playing some, if they are educational. Many people say that Minecraft is educational, but is it or not? What do kids learn from it?
Minecraft is creative world building. My older son (age 12) does Minecraft mods and has learned how to code. He started at age 10 doing the mod thing with Youth Digital's online program. He now codes with other tools too, not just via Minecraft. My younger son (age 5) builds his own worlds and is learning how to read, do very simple coding, and think spatially. I see a lot of value in Minecraft.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:11 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,085,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
You can use video-games and other creative tools to make a point across. However the short answer is no. There are more complex design tools out there and if you use mine-craft to draw a point across then good for you. I used the SIMS2 in a drafting class in college. Professed pointed out the lack of ventilation systems in the housing structures.
I'm not sure that the fact that Minecraft isn't a CAD program acceptable at university proves it isn't educational for 10 year olds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education