Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:49 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,157,910 times

Advertisements

I believe most youth are woefully ignorant when it comes to managing their finances when they leave home. I come across people in my profession everyday who have little or no understanding about managing their personal finances when it comes to such things as interest rates, saving, investing, buying a house, buying a car, importance of credit scores, credit cards, different types of debt, debt implications, budgeting, bankruptcy etc. It's obvious that they are not learning this at home. What this leads to are serious financial mistakes being made by many people that haunt them the rest of their lives and have a negative impact on their quality of life and standard of living.
Why isn't it required that personal/family financial planning be a mandatory course for high school students? I'd be interested in hearing some feedback. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 12:56 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
I believe most youth are woefully ignorant when it comes to managing their finances when they leave home. I come across people in my profession everyday who have little or no understanding about managing their personal finances when it comes to such things as interest rates, saving, investing, buying a house, buying a car, importance of credit scores, credit cards, different types of debt, debt implications, budgeting, bankruptcy etc. It's obvious that they are not learning this at home. What this leads to are serious financial mistakes being made by many people that haunt them the rest of their lives and have a negative impact on their quality of life and standard of living.
Why isn't it required that personal/family financial planning be a mandatory course for high school students? I'd be interested in hearing some feedback. Thanks.
It is required at the school where I teach. It's taught in 9th grade.

My husband used to work in the small loan business. He had one client who never made her payments. He sat down with her, helped her with a budget and helped her open a checking account. The first check cleared just fine. The next one bounced. When he went to see her she said "That's impossible, I still have checks left.". Never underestimate what people don't know.

Not on topic but an even more disturbing demonstration of how ignorant people can be is a woman who came to my doctor and when he told her she was pregnant, she told him that was impossible because her husband had a vasectomy. Turns out they were swingers. But it worked out in the end. She decided to keep the baby and raise it as if it were her own . Odds have it adoption would have given that child a smarter mother.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:13 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,792 times
Quote:
a woman who came to my doctor and when he told her she was pregnant, she told him that was impossible because her husband had a vasectomy. Turns out they were swingers.
I'm sorry, but I'm now laughing so hard that I can't properly answer the question!

Old 08-20-2009, 01:26 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,641,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Never underestimate what people don't know.
So incredibly true.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I suspect part of it is that so much that is "important" is already crammed into the curriculum.

A cynical part of me wants to suggest that it is better for those "with" to be able to continually take advantage of those "without."

But... I am left with two pieces:
1) Who would teach these courses in a society in which the very governments that would be called upon to offer the instruction fail the lessons at almost every turn;

2) Why do mortgage companies prey upon the ignorant? Why are loans approved on the basis of absurd claims?

Might I suggest either that you approach your school board to ask them, or talk with your local or state Chamber of Commerce to suggest they pursue it?

Old 08-20-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm now laughing so hard that I can't properly answer the question!
My doctor didn't know what to say. Apparently, she had a very limited understanding of biology.

I really do wish checking accounts worked like that woman my husband helped thought. Just keep writing checks until you run out.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:11 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
IMO this should be taught in the home.

Use real numbers with real money, a real family budget and real research.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

If more families were able to handle their own money, then they could perhaps better teach it.

For too many families, I suspect it would increase stress on their children to know how close to the edge their homes are.

I agree that it should be, ideally, but think we are too far from an ideal to be able to do it.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:00 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,157,910 times
Quote:

Ideally it should. In reality it's not taught in many homes.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:

Have you looked at the financial situation for the average family lately? Most people don't save. They hold way too many credit cards. They buy first, think and pay later. While they should be able to teach personal finance to their kids, many are not qualified because they flunk the course themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education