Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:25 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
We have this rule in our district: No plain white tees. Even with a detailed dress code, I'm constantly having to tell students to cover up their cleavage, both front and rear.

Women do have breasts, and men and women both have "anal fissures". That doesn't mean that it's always appropriate to display them. I have considered dealing with it as a sexual harassment situation. I should not have to look at other people's private parts when I am at work.
I'm okay with the no white t-shirt rule, then, as long as it applies to both boys and girls. I'm not necessarily anti-dress code, and agree that there things you don't need to show off at school, but the hair thing seems purely based on outdated concepts of what's "boy" and what's "girl" hair. I don't think the schools should be making that decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 10:01 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times
while I don't see anything wrong with the child's hair-- other than it hanging in his eyes isn't good for eyesight-- I think "whine loudly enough and you'll get your own way" is the wrong message to give to a little kid...
heck, he might take it to the Supreme Court like those idiot Tinkers

(in case anyone hasn't heard of them http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/com...ch/tinker.html )

Old 12-28-2009, 03:00 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,517 times
There's such a thing as PRE-kindergarden?

Old 12-28-2009, 08:49 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
There's such a thing as PRE-kindergarden?
In some areas, yes. This district as I have stated has a HIGH number of kids that qualify for varying reasons. The number one reason some districts offer pre-K is because of the large base of NON-English speaking parents and the child does not speak English. If a district has a large population of other factors that would make it determential for them to provide a Pre-K program then they may so that their districts state wide test scores will hopefully improve. This particular district falls into BOTH camps. They have 24 Title I schools. That is a HUGE NUMBER. The district I am in is much larger and we only have one and it is borderline on that and could get reclassified sometime soon. Here are the requirements for the district in questions qualifications for this kids to have needed to be given a spot in the Pre-K program:
Pre-Kindergarten Registration
To be eligible for enrollment in a pre-kindergarten class, a child must be at least four years of age as of September 1, 2009, and must meet one of the criteria listed below:

1.The student is limited in ability to speak and understand the English language.
2.The student is from a family whose income will qualify the student for a free or reduced lunch according to income eligibility guidelines used in the National School Lunch Program.
3.The student is homeless as determined by appropriate staff.
4.The student is the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States,
5.The student is the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States who was injured or killed while serving on active duty.
6.The student has ever been in the conservatorship (foster care) of the Department of Family and Protective Services following an adversary hearing.

The school campus where this child attends Pre-K is in a VERY LOW income area, Balch Springs. Look it up. It is not a place that ANYONE recommends someone move to. Go onto the Dallas threads and ask about this area and you will be given some pretty quick advice to find somewhere else to live especially if schools are the least bit important to you. Even from people that live in Mesquite which is the ISD that serves that area (Balch Springs does not have their own school district).

This district has ISSUES and I've said it over and over again and some people just don't get it. This district is TRYING to get these kids all a good education and it is the parents that are holding them back. The parents want to put more emphasis on things that just flat out do not matter when it comes down to a childs education. If these parents really cared about their child getting an education then they would have cut the kids dang hair and made sure he was in school to LEARN. It comes down to what is really more important. The kid is 4-5 years old. What he is being taught by his UNeducated parents is that it is okay to buck the system to do something that really in the end doesn't matter all the while putting his education lower down on the priority list.

Not until some people actually get out and into the trenches may they realize that some districts MUST resort to certain standards in their dress codes in order to avoid problems and issues so that they can get these kids an education.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:56 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

This district has ISSUES and I've said it over and over again and some people just don't get it. This district is TRYING to get these kids all a good education and it is the parents that are holding them back. The parents want to put more emphasis on things that just flat out do not matter when it comes down to a childs education. If these parents really cared about their child getting an education then they would have cut the kids dang hair and made sure he was in school to LEARN. It comes down to what is really more important. The kid is 4-5 years old. What he is being taught by his UNeducated parents is that it is okay to buck the system to do something that really in the end doesn't matter all the while putting his education lower down on the priority list.

Not until some people actually get out and into the trenches may they realize that some districts MUST resort to certain standards in their dress codes in order to avoid problems and issues so that they can get these kids an education.
See, and it seems to me that the SCHOOL wants to put more emphasis on things that flat out do not matter when it comes down to a child's education. If the SCHOOL really cared about children getting an education, they would make sure that the kids were in school to learn, and would not worry about hair length. It comes down to what is really important. The kid is 4-5 years old. What he is being taught by his parents is that it is okay to buck the system when your rights are being trampled on in the name of "respect my authoritay or else!"

Why should the family bow down over something insignificant just because they are low income? What does that have to do with anything? If it were a more affluent area, then would you expect such shoddy treatment by school staff? Would you personally accept a PRESCHOOL telling you that your four year old must have a haircut because they do not like the style? Why would someone living in a better/more expensive/more desirable make it okay for them to say "um, no, my child has the right to grow his hair if he wants to," while someone in a lower income area has to say "okay, sir, whatever you say, I'm just a low-life who can't possibly make decisions for MY OWN CHILD about how long his hair is."

Old 12-28-2009, 09:22 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Come visit this district and you will quickly change your mind. You will be behind the district 100%. This district is full of parents that the ONLY time they get involved is when their kid gets in trouble and they are forced to come up to the school to deal with it. This kids parents are going to be the perfect example of that.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:38 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Some of us have had experience with districts or areas with uninvolved parents are troubled kids. That doesn't have any bearing on whether or not these kids should be subject to such silly rules that have nothing to do with education. The district is spending time and money defending a rule that has no bearing on educational quality, and that is going to take away from their ability to actually concentrate on the more important issues facing their students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education