Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 04:42 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Mesquite, TX (AHN) - A Texas mother said school officials have threatened to kick her 4-year-old son out of school because his hair is too long by school standards.

Elizabeth Taylor said her son, Taylor Pugh, has been separated from his prekindergarten class at Floyd Elementary School and has been learning in another room since the principal at the Mesquite, Texas, school told her that her son's hair was too long.

Read more: Long Hair Lands 4-Year-Old In Trouble | AHN (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7017284231?Long%20Hair%20Lands%204-Year-Old%20In%20Trouble#ixzz0ZwgHJ7KU - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 07:29 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
This less than mediocre school district is frequently in the news for its extremely strict dress code. Last month it was a boy in high school wearing skinny pants.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:31 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
If you know the dress code rules up front, what's the problem?

At our award-winning, internationally recognized high school, boys weren't allowed facial hair, no one was allowed shorts that didn't come two inches from the knee, and no one could wear tank-tops. We all suffered horribly from it. Not.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:40 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Seems us in the area have found this thread. Another Dallasite here. Saw this in the news yesterday. Saw the parents........ wt. Granted, the kids hair isn't THAT long at all. Beats the kid I see at the Stars games. Parents seem "distant" even from each other. Kid is not kindergarten age yet but he has this LOOOOOOOONG braid down his back. Rest of his hair is short but for this one part that is braided. Looks goofy, imho. Just cut the thing off and be done with it.

Mesquite might not be a great school district but at the elem level they have some very good awesome caring teachers. I have friends that teach there. Academic wise they try to reach high which has to be commended. They are doing more than some "better" districts in that regard.

As for these people. Put the kids education before the length of his hair. Their priorities are out of whack.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:36 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Here's the problem: some of us find it disturbing that a public district is in the business of deciding things such as appropriate length of hair for boys. What does that have to do with their educational mission? That should be up to the parents. If parents want a strict dress code that's unrelated to safety or actual educational concerns then they can send their kid to a private school. It makes me highly uncomfortable to have public officials (as this is presumably set by the school board) deciding on this.

My problem is not with the school enforcing the dress code equally, it's that there is such a ridiculous code in the first place. It has been held up as legal in the state of Texas (other states have different rules), but that doesn't make it right.

I would put the kid's education first. That's why I find it so terrible that the school district is focusing so much of its energies on enforcing and defending its overly strict dress codes. Tat's not to say that the teachers aren't great; I'm sure many of them are. But I assume that most of them have more pressing needs and have greater concerns than a little boy's longish hair and would prefer that the administration and school board spend their energies dealing with issues that actually matter.

It would be different if this was a private school, but it's not.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:28 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Here's the problem: some of us find it disturbing that a public district is in the business of deciding things such as appropriate length of hair for boys. What does that have to do with their educational mission? That should be up to the parents. If parents want a strict dress code that's unrelated to safety or actual educational concerns then they can send their kid to a private school. It makes me highly uncomfortable to have public officials (as this is presumably set by the school board) deciding on this.

My problem is not with the school enforcing the dress code equally, it's that there is such a ridiculous code in the first place. It has been held up as legal in the state of Texas (other states have different rules), but that doesn't make it right.

I would put the kid's education first. That's why I find it so terrible that the school district is focusing so much of its energies on enforcing and defending its overly strict dress codes. Tat's not to say that the teachers aren't great; I'm sure many of them are. But I assume that most of them have more pressing needs and have greater concerns than a little boy's longish hair and would prefer that the administration and school board spend their energies dealing with issues that actually matter.

It would be different if this was a private school, but it's not.
Exactly.

Who cares if a boy has long hair. My brother had long hair when he was in elementary school, and he didn't distract the class or do poorly in school.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:33 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
I think schools long ago starting over stepping their boundaries as to what is, and isn't appropriate in class. Does anyone else find it disturbing that the government can tell you what you can, or cannot do to your own body in school? When it affects no one else?

-If it's an obvious distraction to learning, I can understand it. Like a kid bringing in beepers or pagers. Or if a kid wears a very offensive t shirt, like with the nazi symbol.

But how do schools take the leap from that, to deciding how long someones hair should be?

I think the unwritten rule is that they start restricting your freedom of thought at a very early age (in this case 4!).

-Another issue is that the rules are so arbitrary. Maybe at this location, maybe not. It conditions students to accept more arbitrary rules later on in their school life.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:12 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think schools long ago starting over stepping their boundaries as to what is, and isn't appropriate in class. Does anyone else find it disturbing that the government can tell you what you can, or cannot do to your own body in school? When it affects no one else?

-If it's an obvious distraction to learning, I can understand it. Like a kid bringing in beepers or pagers. Or if a kid wears a very offensive t shirt, like with the nazi symbol.

But how do schools take the leap from that, to deciding how long someones hair should be?

I think the unwritten rule is that they start restricting your freedom of thought at a very early age (in this case 4!).

-Another issue is that the rules are so arbitrary. Maybe at this location, maybe not. It conditions students to accept more arbitrary rules later on in their school life.
"I think schools long ago starting over stepping their boundaries as to what is, and isn't appropriate in class."

It started in the eighteenth century, so that is a long time.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:31 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
"I think schools long ago starting over stepping their boundaries as to what is, and isn't appropriate in class."

It started in the eighteenth century, so that is a long time.
Yes.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:02 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
It's district rules.

Don't like it?

Move.

Or stop crying that your special snowflake is being abused by the school system. The district has rules, your kid is in violation of them. End of story.

When I was in school, I got sent home for ripped jeans. Did my parents run crying to the school about how awful it was?

No, they asked me why I was dumb enough to do something in blatant disregard of the school rules.

It's not the fault of the school for having the rules, it's the fault of the parents for expecting their child to be an exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education