Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,059,322 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'd just like to get some recommendations for good language learning tools that are out there.

I know English is a very popular language globally but are there other languages that can help one's global business prospects?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 01:59 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,558,436 times
Listen the music in the language you want to learn. Watch television or films in that language, Read and write poetry in that language, Go to restaurants of that culture's food, and order in that language. Most importantly, find at least one person that is fluent in that language that you can converse with on a regular basis. You have to basically make language learning enjoyable. Figure out ways to read, write, and speak the language. This will lead to the type of comprehension that leads to fluency.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:08 PM

Wow, thanks for the advice Joy.

Your way sounds much more enjoyable (no pun intended ) and less expensive than forking over $100 bucks for a rosetta stone.

Last edited by kovert; 08-23-2012 at 12:30 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 05:01 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,743,852 times
See if there are Meetups in your area for people who speak your target language, and join in. You need an immersion experience in order to really become fluent... there are so many connotations and nuances that you can't get from a class.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:28 PM

4,389 posts, read 4,250,222 times
There's a French girl who posts language lessons on YouTube in a lot of different languages. She taught herself for the most part using movies. Her videos have a lot of little skits that she creates to help teach languages, but mostly I think, to help her learn.

YongYuan Randomania - YouTube

Old 08-23-2012, 09:55 PM

102,260 posts, read 108,277,635 times
It depends on what industry you're in re: languages for global biz prospects. Chinese or Japanese? French, Spanish? German?

1. Let your ears do much of the work for you. Get a book/CD set, and listen to the CD when you're cleaning, driving, etc. Listen, & soak it up.
2. Use your imagination: even with just a couple of chapters of the book behind you, you can imagine situations in which you'd use the vocabulary. Play with it in your mind. Imagine yourself in the relevant country, having a conversation and using the new vocab. You can do this when taking a walk, going to the store, etc.
3. Quiz yourself on vocab by making a list of the vocab you know in the language (one side of a sheet of paper, folded in half), and the English translation on the other half of the paper. Cover one side of the paper and test yourself. Then cover the other side of the paper, and test yourself.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:20 AM

Wow thanks for all the advice guys, surprised no one mentioned rosetta but many of the suggestions given seem like a more natural method.

Its how we all learned languages as children.

I think I'm going to go with French since for certain hobbies and intellectual interests it will be a great boon to me.

If there was a #2 language in terms of being a lingua franca, especially in regards to business & technology, would any of you consider French to fit that bill?

Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 AM

102,260 posts, read 108,277,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Wow thanks for all the advice guys, surprised no one mentioned rosetta but many of the suggestions given seem like a more natural method.
The suggestion to get a book/CD set included the Rosetta-type approach. There are various options out there, but it's mainly about what you do with the resources you have. Once you buy your course materials, how do you make the most of them? That's what many of these suggestions were aimed at.

Business and technology? Well, English, of course. Much biz and tech vocab from English has made its way into other languages. Again, it depends on what kind of job you want, and whether it would involve providing training and exchanges with other countries, and if so, which countries. You know, a growing trend these days is in providing training to the Near East. Arabic can be useful. Clearly not what you had in mind, but this is one direction in which technology applications are headed. I have a couple of friends who have spent years providing training to Near Eastern and Central Asian universities; one in library tech, the other teaches administering and scoring SAT and related exams.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:50 PM

4,389 posts, read 4,250,222 times
Quote:

Its how we all learned languages as children.

I think I'm going to go with French since for certain hobbies and intellectual interests it will be a great boon to me.

If there was a #2 language in terms of being a lingua franca, especially in regards to business & technology, would any of you consider French to fit that bill?

There are quite a few French, Swiss, and Belgian corporations in a variety of fields, such as LVMH, Siemens, L'Oréal, Nestlé, and EADS, to name a few. I think French is still a lingua franca in business and technology.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:24 PM

30,363 posts, read 23,832,144 times
Quote:
Hello, I'd just like to get some recommendations for good language learning tools that are out there.

I know English is a very popular language globally but are there other languages that can help one's global business prospects?

Thanks.
You will laugh...but it worked.

When I lived in Germany for three years, we, (those who were also there with me), would watch Sesame Street in German. Sounds silly and yah, there were a lot of hilarious moments when we heard Kermit the Frog speaking in German in a different voice, (for example), but it DID help to learn some of the basics!

Try that. I wonder if YouTube has that kind of stuff....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education