Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2007, 10:12 AM

20 posts, read 49,428 times

Advertisements

I'm brand new here and stumbled on this site searching for something totally different and happend to read the ugliest city thread. I have to agree that this city for it's size and what should be a decent stature lacks city design and beautification efforts are minimal. It's not the greenest place nor have many efforts been made to bring it to the 21st century. I find it interesting that in that whole thread (I read most pages but not all) nothing was mentioned of the people. I think the people here are what make this city a decent place to live. When you look at a city this size and compare it to other cities, you see just how well tolerated many ethnicities in a given area are. In my 35 yr experiencing being here in El Paso, very rarely have I seen something that would be labeled racist. Most El Pasoans are nice are helpful. That is something that you don't get very often, especially when you visit other cities. I'm not saying that EP doesn't have it's share of racial problems, etc... but overall, El Pasoans are good people.
So when people ask me if el Paso is ugly, I can't really say yes b/c for me, people are part of that and we are a friendly city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 06:25 PM

42 posts, read 191,565 times
I agree with you about the El Pasoans are being nice in general. I find older folks are very nice but I can't really say the same about young people.
I guess you are referring to my post in "Is El Paso Pretty?". I didn't mean to offend anyone but only to express my opinion. I apologize if anyone was offended by my post. To clarify this, my opinion is based on general view of the El Paso. I am not comparing with one specific area nor a place. I value the historical buildings and rich hispanic culture. So many beautiful old architecture structure have been neglected and some are beyond restorable. One example, downtown building are in so bad shape I am begining to wonder whether these buildings meet city building ordinance code or not.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:08 PM

639 posts, read 1,044,459 times
El Paso is NOT an ugly city!
people will judge it by their standards, cybersimple is right about the cities downtown area it is in great need of improvement, and seems that city council is trying to do just that, there are at least two visable 7 story downtown buildings that could really use some modernization, they would surely make great lofts or apartments if someone would kindly step forward because the landlord's of these buildings are probably slumlords and have no intentions of fixing them up.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:50 AM

42 posts, read 191,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
El Paso is NOT an ugly city!
people will judge it by their standards, cybersimple is right about the cities downtown area it is in great need of improvement, and seems that city council is trying to do just that, there are at least two visable 7 story downtown buildings that could really use some modernization, they would surely make great lofts or apartments if someone would kindly step forward because the landlord's of these buildings are probably slumlords and have no intentions of fixing them up.
It will cost the owner a great deal of money either way, to restore or demolish it, therefore I think the owner will let it stand as long as he/she can without doing anything. Very sad, isn't it?

Old 08-22-2007, 10:30 AM

21 posts, read 40,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersimple View Post
It will cost the owner a great deal of money either way, to restore or demolish it, therefore I think the owner will let it stand as long as he/she can without doing anything. Very sad, isn't it?
The downtown renevation plan will take care of that

Old 08-23-2007, 05:23 PM

639 posts, read 1,044,459 times
I dream about gettin my hands on one of those buildings someday, and show them how to do things right, El Paso sure does have alot of nice old buildings, the detail work that they put into them, they dont make them like that anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: