Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 07:28 PM

67 posts, read 301,636 times

Advertisements

I just got done hiking alittle in transmountain. I was looking for Cotton Wood Springs, anyone know how to get there. Or can you tell me where the nearest lake / river thats not The Rio Grande or Elephant Butte is?

Im guessing Cotton Wood Springs is somewhere around here:

http://www.leethacker.com/images/6ibj1x0x58ij6u193l0z.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 07:44 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
I can tell you where it is.. Hell if I was in better shape I could take you there. Because Park Rangers like to hide up in there and hand out tickets.. the park has been closed for some time now.. not sure why.

LocalHikes - Hikes and trails near El Paso, Texas

Also the first big turn in the road just above the museum is a parking area.. there is a hike up and around between the rock that looks like a big male part and the main peak, behind that is Old Miners Well.. and a mine shaft about 20-30 feet into the mountain as a kid we used to camp there. Go check it out. I will try to get you a better set of directions.

http://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2008/jan/getaways1/

Last edited by Muhnay; 09-23-2008 at 08:10 PM..

Old 09-24-2008, 10:47 AM

447 posts, read 1,579,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I can tell you where it is.. Hell if I was in better shape I could take you there. Because Park Rangers like to hide up in there and hand out tickets.. the park has been closed for some time now.. not sure why.

LocalHikes - Hikes and trails near El Paso, Texas

Also the first big turn in the road just above the museum is a parking area.. there is a hike up and around between the rock that looks like a big male part and the main peak, behind that is Old Miners Well.. and a mine shaft about 20-30 feet into the mountain as a kid we used to camp there. Go check it out. I will try to get you a better set of directions.

El Paso's Little Secret | January 2008 | TPW magazine

First link didn't work for me...

Old 09-24-2008, 02:44 PM

Yeah seems the site is down for Maintenance.. give it a few days and try again.. I will see if I can get you a better map location on google.

El Paso, TX - Google Maps

The Old Mine Shaft is here:

El Paso, TX - Google Maps

Old 09-24-2008, 05:50 PM

67 posts, read 301,636 times
Thanks Muhnay. I walked all the way down the riverbed but gave up. Could I bother you to center the map directly over the water. Then I will put a marker and zoom out slowly to figure it out.

Thanks again, and that mineshaft seems cool too.

Edit: Whats this all about?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...=UTF8&t=h&z=10

Last edited by mikeshole; 09-24-2008 at 06:47 PM..

Old 09-24-2008, 11:24 PM

That my friend is Mountain Shadow Lakes. Out near Horizon City. That area has already been sub divided for future growth.. however long that takes. If you scroll right some you'll have to look for the shadows but there are two huge electric fans out there, when I worked for the electric company I used to have to drive out there 3 times a week to inspect those.

Well last year there was a fire up there, and it is my understanding that the cottonwoods are all gone now.. and the spring maybe as well.. I don't know for sure though.

As for Mine Shafts these mountains are littered with them.. there was one on the west side just off Festival street.. I will have to ask some friends, but I think the city closed it off, because people were getting trapped in it.

What do you need me to get a closer shot of? If your expecting like a huge pond area and lots of water from the spring.. you will be really disappointed its very small and easy to over look.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:19 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeshole View Post
I just got done hiking alittle in transmountain. I was looking for Cotton Wood Springs, anyone know how to get there. Or can you tell me where the nearest lake / river thats not The Rio Grande or Elephant Butte is?

Nice photo Mikeshole !!

6/3

Old 09-25-2008, 11:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeshole View Post

There should be signs that point to the trail that takes you up there. It's about half way to the top and a good stopping place, then you keep going and you cross the bridge, next thing you are walking along the ridge at the top and can see both sides of the mountain. It's very nice. If you have time, keep on that trail because the views are excellent. There's an upside down truck way up there that will amaze you because you cannot figure any way it got there. The rangers said no one knows, maybe it was dropped there for some movie a long time ago.

The rangers will give you maps of the trails when you drive in through the gate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso