Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:41 PM

247 posts, read 603,548 times

Advertisements

Right now there is so much construction in our area, wheather in involves the city or Ft. Bliss. If I forget anything or if something that is being proposed, please add to the thread.
1. Ft. Bliss Brac expansion
2. Spur 601
3. Thomason Hospital expansion/New children's hospital (about to start)
4. New Federal courthouse (almost complete)
5. UTEP's new health science's building
6. UTEP's new bookstore
7. UTEP's new basketball facility (just about completed)
8. New Downtown Parking garage (the old Jack in the Box building)
9. Mcgoffin Apartments near Downtown (just approved)
10. Doubletree Hotel (about finished remodeling)

In most of the major cities you always see cranes in and around the downtown areas. Downtown El Paso is definitley becoming busier with construction especially with that one big crane by San Jacinto Plaza.

Last edited by Bo; 02-03-2009 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: First 13 posts extracted from 2007 thread about the Construction Boom. Started new topic to avoid mixing old and new info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 06:46 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,544,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utelpaso88 View Post
Right now there is so much construction in our area, wheather in involves the city or Ft. Bliss. If I forget anything or if something that is being proposed, please add to the thread.
1. Ft. Bliss Brac expansion
2. Spur 601
3. Thomason Hospital expansion/New children's hospital (about to start)
4. New Federal courthouse (almost complete)
5. UTEP's new health science's building
6. UTEP's new bookstore
7. UTEP's new basketball facility (just about completed)
8. New Downtown Parking garage (the old Jack in the Box building)
9. Mcgoffin Apartments near Downtown (just approved)
10. Doubletree Hotel (about finished remodeling)

In most of the major cities you always see cranes in and around the downtown areas. Downtown El Paso is definitley becoming busier with construction especially with that one big crane by San Jacinto Plaza.
Finally after all these years it's good to see some things move forward as some of us go back to the 70's as El Paso goes.

Also the new Northeast Parkway Freeway, Americas Interchange Phase- II and Loop-375 to be completed thru downtown to I-10 in the 1 Billion dollar TX DOT projects reciently approved.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:33 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,521,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Finally after all these years it's good to see some things move forward as some of us go back to the 70's as El Paso goes.

Also the new Northeast Parkway Freeway, Americas Interchange Phase- II and Loop-375 to be completed thru downtown to I-10 in the 1 Billion dollar TX DOT projects reciently approved.

Well..... think back to the 70's and 80's in El Paso. Look at the jobs they had back then. Jobs like Levi's, Farahs, Old El Paso Cannery, a number of plastics industries. Jobs that provided full time jobs with benefits, even health insurance. Moderator cut: off-topic

There were cool stores downtown, people actually went downtown to shop. Many people would drive or walk over to Juarez, you could go to the Greyhound race track, do a little shopping at the Central Market, visit the Pronaf, have a nice meal, or if you worked late, you could go hit the bars and clubs -- famous ones like the Kentucky Club.

Back in El Paso, you could choose to live in the city, or one of the outlaying suburban type neighborhoods, maybe even as far out as Coronado or out there along Alabama or way out by Hawkins if you liked living out on the edge of things. If you went further, you could have a house on a couple acres, or you could go out for a Sunday drive and see some of the most beautiful green fields that with the mountains in the background was a view that would take your breath away.

I don't think a concrete city with miles and miles of subdivisions is really progress, but for those who love being around people and don't like the open spaces, I guess it's progress to fill them all up.

Last edited by Bo; 02-02-2009 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: see comment

Old 01-31-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well..... think back to the 70's and 80's in El Paso. Look at the jobs they had back then. Jobs like Levi's, Farahs, Old El Paso Cannery, a number of plastics industries. Jobs that provided full time jobs with benefits, even health insurance. Today of course almost all children in El Paso are on Medicaid. Health insurance is something for a handful of people - about 30%.

There were cool stores downtown, people actually went downtown to shop. Many people would drive or walk over to Juarez, you could go to the Greyhound race track, do a little shopping at the Central Market, visit the Pronaf, have a nice meal, or if you worked late, you could go hit the bars and clubs -- famous ones like the Kentucky Club.

Back in El Paso, you could choose to live in the city, or one of the outlaying suburban type neighborhoods, maybe even as far out as Coronado or out there along Alabama or way out by Hawkins if you liked living out on the edge of things. If you went further, you could have a house on a couple acres, or you could go out for a Sunday drive and see some of the most beautiful green fields that with the mountains in the background was a view that would take your breath away.

I don't think a concrete city with miles and miles of subdivisions is really progress, but for those who love being around people and don't like the open spaces, I guess it's progress to fill them all up.
I believe utelpaso and i were talking mostly about existing structures or hyways as i nor utelpaso mentioned anywhere in our posts about miles upon miles of housing or subdivisions so not sure where your going with your post or why you mentioned me in your post?

Old 02-01-2009, 12:17 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,484,690 times
Quote:

I actually agree with you on this. I would hate El Paso to end up looking like Houston or Phoenix, unorganized sprawl without a city character. People move in and live in these cities, but have no sense of community or civic pride, something that El Paso has in spades.

I hope City Council begins looking at curbing the outward haphazard expansion and starts focusing on vertical development in the downtown vicinity, filling in existing brownfields, and restoring neglected neighborhoods.

El Paso is an urban developer's dream, really. A large part of the city (excluding the Far East) is still scalable and retains some sense of order. I'd really like to see us invest in this larger downtown plan and create what could possibly be the Southwest's most dynamic downtown area. Going there last week, I can already see a nascent 'urban scene' popping up.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,008,209 times
13+ posts were deleted above. It's always a good idea to read the thread title and the original post before investing too much time posting on a tangent that has nothing to do with the original topic. Here's a reminder of what the TOS has to say in that regard.

Quote:
Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.
The deleted posts were not all violating the TOS in themselves, but they definitely were not discussing the original topic.

Here's a reminder of what this nearly 2 year-old thread is supposed to be discussing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
A good article in todays El Paso Times business section about all the construction going on thru-out the city. New school construction all over the city, the Factory Shoppes outlet on the west side (70 million dollars), the new Sierra Providence east side hospital (130 million dollars), new Medical school in central EP, the new Federal Courthouse in downtown, new interstate construction at I-10 and UTEP, downtown revitalization construction and the 2.6 Billion dollar Ft.Bliss expansion going on till 2011.

Yes EP has its problems and higher unemployment than most cities but its good to see changes going on in my home town......

Last edited by Bo; 02-02-2009 at 12:21 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 01:30 PM

272 posts, read 1,060,782 times
Quote:
Well..... think back to the 70's and 80's in El Paso. Look at the jobs they had back then. Jobs like Levi's, Farahs, Old El Paso Cannery, a number of plastics industries. Jobs that provided full time jobs with benefits, even health insurance. Moderator cut: off-topic

Moderator cut: orphaned You keep harping about the apparel industry jobs like they were the golden era or something? Let me enlighten you a little bit with Economics 101. Those jobs are long gone and never coming back! they have gone to China's sweatshops!! El Paso's future is in communications, high tech, health care, services retail and tourism. So please stop talking about Levis, Farah and all those low skilled jobs.

Last edited by Bo; 02-02-2009 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: updated quote to match original - with the changes to the original, one section was orphaned

Old 02-02-2009, 01:44 PM

270 posts, read 624,518 times
MC, just missed on another thread. I totally agree with on this. This city needs REAL jobs, like I always say 8.00 an hour is not a job. And the only way this city will grow properly is to have people that CAN contribute towards these costs of growing.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:11 PM

730 posts, read 1,889,622 times
Default Existing Centers

And with recent store closures (i.e Circuit City, Linen n' Things, Mervyn's, Kay Bee and supposedly Dillards) the situation is even bleaker. Good for Bassett that Kohl's is moving in and I'm surprised that Sunland Park has not tried to lure the westside Kohl's over. Hopefully the new Bed, Bath and Beyond will prosper at Sunland Park. Luring/creating new business will do no good if existing businesses keeps folding.

Moderator cut: orphaned quote

Last edited by Bo; 02-03-2009 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the quote was not moved from the old thread.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:08 PM

I see the county is set to revote on the upscale mall again as they have 2 new elected commisioners which could change the previous no vote to tear down the old farah site and build a new lifestyle mall.

Shouldn be interesting.
Future of Farah site: County to consider tax incentives for mall - El Paso Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: