Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 03:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

What happened here? A case of stage fright, insecurity, or an amazing lack of preparation?

YouTube - Jan Brewer's Opening Statement for the Gubernatorial Debate...OMG, It's a Train Wreck!

And then, she flees reporters when they try to ask her a question after the debate:

Brewer Runs Away From Reporters

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 09-02-2010 at 03:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 03:42 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What happened here? A case of stage fright, insecurity, or an amazing lack of preparation?

YouTube - Jan Brewer's Opening Statement for the Gubernatorial Debate...OMG, It's a Train Wreck!

And then, she flees reporters when they try to ask her a question after the debate:

Brewer Runs Away From Reporters
What's so strange is that:

a) Freezing during the opening statement? It's the easiest, totally-scripted part of the debate!

b) She's an incumbent Governor! This would be very odd even coming from a non-incumbent newbie to politics, because that person still would have had to win a primary. But she's been in politics since 1983.

Interesting political theater. And I get it -- I'm a terrible public speaker. But I bet I'd be a lot better at it after 27 years in politics...

Old 09-02-2010, 04:17 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
What's so strange is that:

a) Freezing during the opening statement? It's the easiest, totally-scripted part of the debate!

b) She's an incumbent Governor! This would be very odd even coming from a non-incumbent newbie to politics, because that person still would have had to win a primary. But she's been in politics since 1983.

Interesting political theater. And I get it -- I'm a terrible public speaker. But I bet I'd be a lot better at it after 27 years in politics...
She didn't freeze, she couldn't say what she wanted to say. They are being sued by the federal government. She wasn't free to speak like she wanted to. Fellow states are boycotting her state, I'm sure she wanted to tell them all to kiss her a## but couldn't. As far as the beheadings in the desert, she probably meant across the border from her state and made a mistake expressing herself then didn't feel like talking about it because the people that matter KNOW what she meant and the others are to busy suing them so she could care less what they think and I must say that I don't blame her one bit.
The lying, backstabbing, attacking media doesn't deserve an answer or the people that listen to them.
The good people already know and understand, she knows that.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:35 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
She didn't freeze, she couldn't say what she wanted to say. They are being sued by the federal government. She wasn't free to speak like she wanted to. Fellow states are boycotting her state, I'm sure she wanted to tell them all to kiss her a## but couldn't. As far as the beheadings in the desert, she probably meant across the border from her state and made a mistake expressing herself then didn't feel like talking about it because the people that matter KNOW what she meant and the others are to busy suing them so she could care less what they think and I must say that I don't blame her one bit.
The lying, backstabbing, attacking media doesn't deserve an answer or the people that listen to them.
Got it!

Jan Brewer is a helpless victim who stammered and stared blankly into the camera because she's being sued! Makes sense. Because that's what people being sued usually do - fall all over their words...

That's for the laugh and pass the Kool-Aid!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:09 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,139 times
Nope, she blew it.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Another really dumb Republican who must resort to instilling fear with the ridiculous lies about "beheadings." If you can't intelligently articulate a point which Brewer painfully demonstrates than she can not do then pull the fear card. Geez, if Arizona elects Brewer then all the jokes about the state will only get worse as the most stupid state in the nation.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:22 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Hmm, I never realized being sued by the federal government prevented someone from answering a debate question about a claim that she made....

Old 09-02-2010, 10:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Got it!

Jan Brewer is a helpless victim who stammered and stared blankly into the camera because she's being sued! Makes sense. Because that's what people being sued usually do - fall all over their words...

That's for the laugh and pass the Kool-Aid!
I'm reminded of George Bush's performance against John Kerry during their first debate. Bush looked ridiculous as he kept stammering and saying that his job was "hard work". Of course, he did get reelected, but still, it was a terrible performance for a sitting president.

She even sounded a little like Bush: "I have did everything..." "We have did what was right for Arizona."

Old 09-02-2010, 10:29 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Yikes. A ten second pause, and her statements, when she did get them out, were disconnected and her grammar was poor. She got stage fright and forgot her lines at the same time. It's worth noting that Napolitano had her as her backup before joining the Obama team heading so-called "Homeland Security" . Jan Brewer may really not be ready for primetime

Old 09-02-2010, 10:36 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm reminded of George Bush's performance against John Kerry during their first debate. Bush looked ridiculous as he kept stammering and saying that his job was "hard work". Of course, he did get reelected, but still, it was a terrible performance for a sitting president.

She even sounded a little like Bush: "We have did what was right for Arizona."
You are right about how Brewer reminds people of Bush when it comes to speaking. If a national or state leader can not even present one cogent idea in a half way intelligent manner then they leave themselves wide open for total mockery. The jokes on late night TV will be unrelenting. Brewer hasn't been very impressive all along but her performance in the debate and the follow-up press meeting has to be a huge disappointment to Republicans. Brewer and Dan Quayle's idiot son who is running for congress show how the GOP hits the bottom of the barrel so often when it comes to smart people. What an embarrassment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections