Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:02 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times

Advertisements

Hmmm...I wonder what he is hiding? And will it be released before the election?

Quote:

FAIRBANKS, Alaska — The Fairbanks North Star Borough must release personnel records from Senate Republican candidate Joe Miller’s time as an attorney for the borough, a judge ruled Oct. 23 in a decision that favors several news organizations that sued for the information.

Miller recently acknowledged he was disciplined for violating the ethics policy while working for the borough, but said it was unrelated to his departure from the job. Speculation over the issue and Miller’s earlier refusal to discuss it had become a key topic of the campaign.
firstamendmentcenter.org: news (http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=23526 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 09:38 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
No matter who wins in Alaska, this is a very interesting race. Will Murkowski become the second candidate in history to win as a write-in? Strom Thurmond was the first. Or will she be a spoiler and voters disenchanted with Miller will choose the dem? At the debate the other night, Miller and the dem McAdams were the only two present. The two spent a lot of time attacking Murkowski - not each other. The article mentions reliable polls in Alaska are few and far between. Miller is still the favorite, but his lead has decreased.
Clip:
... questions about everything from farm subsidies, unemployment and government health care benefits and even a low-income fishing license that Mr. Miller or his family members have received. Critics say the reports have undermined his credibility when he argues against the federal health care bill and unemployment benefits or vows to eliminate the Department of Education and eventually privatize Social Security.
... Mr. Miller refused for weeks to answer questions about disciplinary action taken against him when he worked as a lawyer for Fairbanks North Star Borough, a judge ordered records of the incident released as soon as Tuesday. (The ruling also came after Mr. Miller’s security guards handcuffed Tony Hopfinger, the editor of Alaska Dispatch, an online news site, when he tried to ask Mr. Miller about the matter at a campaign event.)
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/26/us...gewanted=print

Old 10-26-2010, 06:06 PM

It would be awesome if Murkowski pulled off the win. Remembering Thurmond, it's interesting that he was the head of the new "Dixiecrats" in 1948, one of the biggest election upsets ever when Truman pulled it out when everyone (including all national polls) predicted Dewey. Maybe Murkowski could also do it to everyones surprise. Both the conservative and liberal wings of the Democratic party left Truman but he got an unexpected boost from the black vote, who were deeply suspicious of Thurmond and his efforts to keep the military segregated. Thurmond took 4 electoral states in the south.

I feel sorry for sane people in Alaska if Murkowski is gone.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:08 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Let the fireworks begin....

Miller: 'I lied about accessing all of the computers'

http://alaskadispatch.com/images/media/files/court_ordered_documents_to_be_released_10-26-10-alaska_dispatch.pdf (broken link)

Quote:
n March 2008, just days before the Alaska Republican Party's annual convention, Miller was hosting a poll on his personal website, joemiller.us, that was aimed at ousting party chairman Randy Ruedrich. On March 12, while other employees were at lunch and Miller was alone in the office, he used three of his co-workers' computers to vote in his own poll. He tried to cover up the deceit by clearing the caches on the computers, the records show.

In a March 17, 2008 e-mail to his borough attorney Rene Broker, Miller admitted to the allegations against him:

Over the lunch hour this past Wednesday, I got on three computers (not belonging to me) in the office. All of them were on and none of them were locked. I accessed my personal website, for political purposes (participated in a poll), and then cleared the cache on each computer. I did the same thing on my computer. Jill asked the office what happened. I lied about accessing all of the computers. I then admitted about accessing the computers, but lied about what I was doing. Finally, I admitted what I did.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:48 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Maybe Sarah Palin and the tea party ought to vet their candidates a little closer. This could end up being a black eye for the whole tea party movement if Miller loses to either opposing candidates.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:57 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
More on Miller

Miller admits to lies about his actions: 2010 Alaska U.S. Senate election | adn.com

Kind of paranoid wasn't he??

Old 10-28-2010, 08:50 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
A setback for Murkowski yesterday when a temporary restraining order was issued yesterday. The order restricted election officials from giving out names of write-in candidates at polling places. Both Repub and Dem parties sued Monday to prevent info being provided at polling stations because they believed it would favor write-in candidates. Very interesting race. Murkowski has a run a smart campaign and may win. I read the Palins are flying in this afternoon to put in their two cents worth.
Late Wednesday the Alaska Supreme Court overturned the lower court's order and ruled that voters may see a list of write-ins at polling places.
Clip:
Anchorage Superior Court Judge Frank A. Pfiffner said elections officials were in clear violation of an administrative regulation that reads: “Information regarding a write-in candidate may not be discussed, exhibited, or provided at the polling place, or within 200 feet of any entrance to the polling place.’’
Judge bars write-in info at the polls in Alaska - The Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2010/10/28/judge_bars_write_in_info_at_the_polls_in_alaska?mo de=PF - broken link)

Clip:
The Supreme Court said the list of registered write-in candidates must be limited to names only, with no party affiliations or other information.* Besides issuing the emergency stay, the high court said it would expedite a state petition for review of the lower court ruling. It said responses from the state Democratic and Republican parties are due by Thursday afternoon on that point.*
Judge bars write-in info at the polls in Alaska - The Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2010/10/28/judge_bars_write_in_info_at_the_polls_in_alaska?mo de=PF - broken link)

New Poll shows Miller in last place.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1010/44312.html

Last edited by tigerlily; 10-28-2010 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: additional information

Old 10-28-2010, 04:53 PM

The REAL question I have about this race is: When does Sarah Palin fever finally end in Alaska? No politician stays popular forever, especially when you walk away from your job.

I think maybe Sarah stumping for Joe gives Murkowski another bump. And I still think that Miller not saying whether he would, or would not, support her for President was a very smart move on his part. He did not want to appear a hanger-on, but he does owe his lot to Sarah. With less than one million voters and three candidates, the incumbent has an above average chance, if she can make sure she is not disenfranchised by being kept off the ballot. Her people need to make sure she is not frozen out at polling stations.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:14 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Alaska Repub candidates ... hack, hack, hack, more hacking. Enters Sarah P, hack Murkoski, hack, hack, more hacking and a few 'ya betchas'.... Nov 2, McAdams wins! McAdams wins! Could this be any more fitting?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:33 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The REAL question I have about this race is: When does Sarah Palin fever finally end in Alaska? No politician stays popular forever, especially when you walk away from your job.

I think maybe Sarah stumping for Joe gives Murkowski another bump. And I still think that Miller not saying whether he would, or would not, support her for President was a very smart move on his part. He did not want to appear a hanger-on, but he does owe his lot to Sarah. With less than one million voters and three candidates, the incumbent has an above average chance, if she can make sure she is not disenfranchised by being kept off the ballot. Her people need to make sure she is not frozen out at polling stations.
We don't have Sarah Palin fever, this whole thing started in the lower 48 and unfortunately there are enough people everywhere who value her endorsements. She was not like this when she became gov, but I missed most of her original campaign due to being out of state at the time. It seems like people all over the country are so disgusted with what has happened during the "great recession" that they want something new. So now we have Joe Miller and whats her name who claims "I'm not a witch". And many others apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections