Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 07:53 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,514,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
Obama got Osama in his watch..but everything else is a mess. If people keep him in just for that..than this nation is lost.
problem is that the republicans don't have a great candidate this go around and the economy will pick up between now and the election. I also would expect the housing glut to start being eaten up a little before then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 08:07 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,987,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
I am not surprised either.
You get the government you deserve.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:27 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,511,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
... Cains 23% flat tax plan worries me a little especially if applied to buying a home and when you make the mortgage payments.
Please take some time to read The Fair Tax Book. Amazon.com: The Fair Tax Book: Saying Goodbye to the Income Tax and the IRS (9780060875497): Neal Boortz, John Linder: Books It's not a "flat tax". It's a national retail sales tax, which TAKES THE PLACE of the current tax code and abolishes the IRS. The Fair Tax only gets applied to the cost of new goods and services. Seriously, read the book (if you haven't already) before forming a judgment about his plan. It's actually not even his plan, but he strongly supports it, as do many members of Congress.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:29 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,763,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
You get the government you deserve.
I didn't vote for Obama like you did. I didn't vote for Bush like the rest of the sheeple did. Unlike you, I do actually think for myself and quite independently. You might try that some time.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:30 AM

I'm all for making the tax base broader and lowering the rates.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:32 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,520,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
To the OP,
IMO, this topic may belong to a different forum.
IMO that's your opinion I was asking just people in Jacksonville what they think of Cain...I didn't want every Lunatic in City-Data Worldwides opinion on the subject just the ones in here.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:38 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,520,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
Please take some time to read The Fair Tax Book. Amazon.com: The Fair Tax Book: Saying Goodbye to the Income Tax and the IRS (9780060875497): Neal Boortz, John Linder: Books It's not a "flat tax". It's a national retail sales tax, which TAKES THE PLACE of the current tax code and abolishes the IRS. The Fair Tax only gets applied to the cost of new goods and services. Seriously, read the book (if you haven't already) before forming a judgment about his plan. It's actually not even his plan, but he strongly supports it, as do many members of Congress.
What you stated is exactly what I thought a fair tax plan was but on CNN the other night he clearly stated Tax on home purchases and a tax on your mortgage payment when I heard that I was like HUH! ...then I asked my wife if I heard it right and she said yep. Maybe he misspoke, no idea.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:50 AM

I can't shake the feeling that the Republicans are going to sacrifice someone, (see: Dole, Bob; Kerry, John;, Mondale, Fritz) and concentrate on shoring up the House and making a run at taking the Senate.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:41 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,511,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
What you stated is exactly what I thought a fair tax plan was but on CNN the other night he clearly stated Tax on home purchases and a tax on your mortgage payment when I heard that I was like HUH! ...then I asked my wife if I heard it right and she said yep. Maybe he misspoke, no idea.
I don't believe it would apply to the actual payment on your mortgage. The sales tax would apply at the time of the purchase of a NEW home. And, the Fair Tax would not apply on an existing home. Keep in mind that with the implementation of the Fair Tax, the embedded cost of the construction of the new home will decrease. Seriously, though, read the book. It's an easy read.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:52 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,987,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
I didn't vote for Obama like you did. I didn't vote for Bush like the rest of the sheeple did. Unlike you, I do actually think for myself and quite independently. You might try that some time.
ATTENTION ALL CITY-DATA FORUM POSTERS:
For the final time, I did not, nor do I ever plan on voting for Barack Obama. I voted for Ralph Nader in 2008 and I will actively support, campaign, and vote for Ron Paul. Just because I don't buy into the false "Republican/Democrat" or "Left/Right" paradigm doesn't mean I vote for Barack Obama. I find it quite odd that if you are a libertarian leaning independent who despises the GOP and Democratic Party that it is assumed you support Obama. Please refrain from making assumptions.

- - - - - - - -

Anyways, I say again, you get the government you deserve. You claim to be "quite independent," yet you actively support Herman Cain, a big business, big government, TARP loving, FED Chairman, double talking bull**** artist. There's a contradiction in your logic and I fear you've been fooled by a smooth talking, empty platitude spewing, con man. You often rail against Barack Obama, and rightfully so, yet you fail to see that you're supporting the Republican version of him.

So you can continue to cry about wanting "change" and being an "outsider" but if you keep voting for insiders don't expect to be happy. This is an apt time to reflect on Albert Einstein's definition of insanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections