Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:25 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times

Advertisements

So, is a "Sam's Club" Republican one of those poor whites who live in a trailer and always vote Republican? The people you see in Wal-Mart and Sam's Club with their bellies hanging out of their shirts, oblivious to what they look like?

I always knew that the GOP took care of the richest Americans but never quite understood how they managed to fool the guy in the trailerpark

Pawlenty: GOP Losing 'Sam's Club Republicans' - America's News HQ - FOXNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 02:46 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
The trailer park vote is still their for them, maybe not for T-paw but they'll vote for who is the most insane, gives the most farm subsidies and other government handouts, making Bachmann their ideal candidate.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:46 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
So, is a "Sam's Club" Republican one of those poor whites who live in a trailer and always vote Republican? The people you see in Wal-Mart and Sam's Club with their bellies hanging out of their shirts, oblivious to what they look like?

I always knew that the GOP took care of the richest Americans but never quite understood how they managed to fool the guy in the trailerpark

I think that "Sam's Club" Republicans refers more to the Reagan Democrats than people who live in a trailer. These tend to be mostly men (some women) that hold blue collar skilled and semi skilled jobs and are often trade union members. They tend to distrust government, hold gun rights in high regard and tend to vote their pocketbooks (it's the economy stupid). The Republicans turn these voters off with their constant attacks on unions, teachers and programs like Social Security and Medicare. You notice that Reagan and Bush never directly attacked such people because they knew better. We need those voters.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:09 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Many are active duty or reserves. They see the GOP as supporting the military. Many hunt, so the gun issue is critical. And some social issues, such as gay marriage, endears them to the GOP even if they are not so rich

Old 06-12-2011, 03:10 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
I don't know exactly what a "Sam's Club" Republican is but my hunch is whoever Pawlenty has in mind has actually been loyal to the GOP. It's the middle class working taxpayer who votes Republican because it's the only party that represents their interests. The Dems appeal to affluent elitists as well as anyone who collects government handouts. The two education groups Dems do best in are post-graduate and high school dropout.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:06 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
It's the middle class working taxpayer who votes Republican because it's the only party that represents their interests.
Um, most of the northeastern states have large middle-class taxpaying citizens (e.g., Massachusetts and Rhode Island). Those states are very heavily Democratic. This is also true for Pennsylvania, including the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh suburbs, which also lean Democratic.

So I don't know what you are talking about here.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:38 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
"Sam's Club Republicans" refers to small business owners and entrepreneurs, many of whom buy supplies for their business at Sam's Club. Trailer parks do not enter into it.

As for the GOP taking care of the richest Americans, the Democratic Party is led by a President who lacks a basic understanding of business fundamentals. We would be better off if he had ever ran a business, or worked in a business, or even had a paper route.

If you think the Dems are for the little guy or the middle class, read up on the EPA's most costly and foolhardy regulations yet: the changes in the Clean Air Act. According to their own numbers, they are forcing $1843 of costs per $1 direct benefit from mercury reduction in a drastic change that will cause close to 20% of our generating capacity to be mothballed. Your electricity rates are going to go through the roof.

Only if you are a member of that staunchest group of Democrats, welfare recipients and deadbeats, will you escape this wonderful idea brought to you by Obama's Democratic Party. Fortunately for Obama, that group is destined to grow as new regulations create more job loss and unemployment.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Am I the only one that looked at the dateline on the story? It is 3 years old. Am I the only one that also thinks the comments by the OP are biggoted and show the views of many true libs? I do not believe "Sam Club" Republicans or even those who shop at Sam's Club are trailer trash, fat, ugly, welfare recepients, uneducated, etc. For those who see Sam's club shoppers that way, they obviously have not spent much time in Sam's club. I can't think of one person I know that doesn't shop Sam's Club and the people I am referring to are anything but poor whites or poor blacks.

"Sam's Club" Republicans, in many cases are those who wised up in 1980, voted for Reagan and have never regretted it.

Since when would someone living in a trailer park shop at a warehouse store: they wouldn't have room to store things you buy in volume.

Nita

Old 06-13-2011, 08:05 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

How racist! The people who probably don't shop at Sam's Club are single people like me who have no need to buy in bulk.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How racist! The people who probably don't shop at Sam's Club are single people like me who have no need to buy in bulk.
Laura, don't you know only REpublicans can be racist??? I agree the posting is so far over the edge it probably doesn't even deserve our attention.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections