Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:51 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Because his fellow Republicans put a stop to it, if Perry had his way it would have happened. Tolls, drive in Dallas, you will pay far more than $12 and he is working Hard to get all our highways turned into Toll roads, run by no-Americans, they will become the norm soon enough. I do not care if you back him or not the Majority will be turned off by his ideas.
Casper
The $12 included driving in Dallas. I suppose you may live by a toll road, but I haven't encountered too many. I think also the airport charged my toll tag $1 or $2... not sure. But anyway, it's still dirt cheap.

As for the majority, right now they dislike Obama (he's trending a couple of points off Bush's lows in his second term, only earlier). And they only care about jobs and the economy. My assessment is that they'll vote for whomever the GOP candidate is, the question is who will win the nomination. You may disagree. When it the election gets closer, we can have a bet and enjoy the horserace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 01:52 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Where did you read this and are you sure it was accurate? I ask, cause I don't believe this for one minute. The hot box is right, but if you haven't lived there can you fairly judge what it is like for those who are not rich? Of course you can't. My mother in law got great medical care and the senior centers were outstanding. She was happy to be living in Texas as her saving started to disappear.

Nita
It's a pretty widely known fact, nita.

To balance budgets states are cutting and re-routing money for the poor - National Political Buzz | Examiner.com

This isn't the source I first read this in.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:54 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
But they have no state income tax so it balances itself out. For those who do not own property it is wonderful system, for those who do, it is a wipe.

Nita
having no state income tax doesn't offset high property tax, especially for the retired or low income property holders. the high cost of property taxes stops many people from purchasing property in texas.

not sure what the state does with the tax collected, they sure as heck don't spend it on their roads

Old 08-15-2011, 02:02 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
But they have no state income tax so it balances itself out. For those who do not own property it is wonderful system, for those who do, it is a wipe.

Nita
Proof that there is no free lunch. Some just rely on sneakier ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
The $12 included driving in Dallas. I suppose you may live by a toll road, but I haven't encountered too many. I think also the airport charged my toll tag $1 or $2... not sure. But anyway, it's still dirt cheap...
Can't speak for Casper, but I don't live by toll road, however, one runs by my office. Having said that, Dallas area had only one toll road when I first moved to the area in 1997 (Dallas North Tollway). Now, we've major section of TX-121, and the nearly circular President George Bush Turnpike. New lanes are being built in interchange area (TX-114, TX-121, I-635) just north of DFW Airport financed entirely using tax dollars and federal stimulus but only to be handed over to NTTA which will charge toll. And more recently, work has begun on toll-only lanes on I-635 in North Dallas into Irving as well. Perry also supported using federal stimulus money to build another toll road which was vehemently opposed.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
having no state income tax doesn't offset high property tax, especially for the retired or low income property holders. the high cost of property taxes stops many people from purchasing property in texas.

not sure what the state does with the tax collected, they sure as heck don't spend it on their roads
Low imcome people normally do not own homes and yes, it does. Our granddaughter and her husband almost moved back to Texas not long ago; they are young, middle income with a good future, but they did the comparisons: the property taxes would not have been as high as their state income tax combined with property taxes where they now live. We know several couples around here who own property in Texas and spend a few months a year there: they are seniors, living on retirements and SS and are not rich by anymeans. They are able to handle the taxes. Sorry you are completely off base on this one. As for roads, number one: property taxes are not meant to cover roads and two: compared to many states, Texas actually has very good roads. I suggest you get out a little more and drive roads in a few other states.

Nita

Old 08-15-2011, 04:24 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
One Reason Rick Perry won't win...aligning himself individuals from Dubya's administration.
Rick Perry's Neocon Friends | The Nation

No more Neo-Con Hawks....

Old 08-15-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Proof that there is no free lunch. Some just rely on sneakier ways.

Can't speak for Casper, but I don't live by toll road, however, one runs by my office. Having said that, Dallas area had only one toll road when I first moved to the area in 1997 (Dallas North Tollway). Now, we've major section of TX-121, and the nearly circular President George Bush Turnpike. New lanes are being built in interchange area (TX-114, TX-121, I-635) just north of DFW Airport financed entirely using tax dollars and federal stimulus but only to be handed over to NTTA which will charge toll. And more recently, work has begun on toll-only lanes on I-635 in North Dallas into Irving as well. Perry also supported using federal stimulus money to build another toll road which was vehemently opposed.
I totally agree about the toll roads, but this is happening all over the country. We might soon be faced with it here, if we ever get a decent road system and OK has them, plus CA, and a few other places we have visited in the past few years. It is just another means of revenue.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:51 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Low imcome people normally do not own homes and yes, it does. Our granddaughter and her husband almost moved back to Texas not long ago; they are young, middle income with a good future, but they did the comparisons: the property taxes would not have been as high as their state income tax combined with property taxes where they now live. We know several couples around here who own property in Texas and spend a few months a year there: they are seniors, living on retirements and SS and are not rich by anymeans. They are able to handle the taxes. Sorry you are completely off base on this one. As for roads, number one: property taxes are not meant to cover roads and two: compared to many states, Texas actually has very good roads. I suggest you get out a little more and drive roads in a few other states.

Nita
low income people own homes and others aspire to home ownership. we looked into buying a house in texas to retire to. I don't have the actual figures anymore but from memory a house costing 200 grand has about 6 grand in taxes a year. that is huge money on a monthly basis out of a fixed income. the same house, same money in another state, the taxes are half that amount.

people always find a way but if you are retired or low income the extra money you pay in taxes to live in texas takes quite a bite out of your budget. the amount is so big that it doesn't make sense to move there to retire.

the roads I traveled outside of the main highways in the neighborhoods of hill country texas were full of pot holes, many parts were unpaved. I have traveled all over our country and texas by far has the worst roads

Old 08-15-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
low income people own homes and others aspire to home ownership. we looked into buying a house in texas to retire to. I don't have the actual figures anymore but from memory a house costing 200 grand has about 6 grand in taxes a year. that is huge money on a monthly basis out of a fixed income. the same house, same money in another state, the taxes are half that amount.

people always find a way but if you are retired or low income the extra money you pay in taxes to live in texas takes quite a bite out of your budget. the amount is so big that it doesn't make sense to move there to retire.

the roads I traveled outside of the main highways in the neighborhoods of hill country texas were full of pot holes, many parts were unpaved. I have traveled all over our country and texas by far has the worst roads
Well depending on where you live, $6000 might be a little high, but yes, no one is argueing property taxes in Texas arew high, just like Florida. You have to consider all aspects though: you are talking about a retired couple and what they might pay in taxes, the majority of the residence are not retired so they prefer the NO INCOme tax. A state has to get their taxes somewhere or we would have nothing. A state can't always please everyone. If someone can't afford to retire in a state with high property taxes they can choose a state that meets their needs. We did exactly that as have most of our friends.

Nita

Old 08-15-2011, 07:16 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,425 times
one word: Jobs
two words: Not Obama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections