Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 01:58 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,331 times

Advertisements

In separate appearances on CNN yesterday, both Michelle Bachmann and Herman Cain pointedly dodged questions asking if, in their opinion, Mormons are Christians. Both refused to "refudiate" Pastor Jeffires directly. Guess the strategy is to let Ol' Willard twist in the wind...

Crazy Eyes Bachmann: "To me, this is about religeous tolarance" (Oh SNAP!!! Is Willard a "Mormon" or a "Muslim"???)

Cain: "I'm not running for Theologian-in-chief"

Perry, Cain, Bachmann... those are some classy candidates you guys have

Herman Cain, Michele Bachmann dodge Mormon question - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 02:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
In separate appearances on CNN yesterday, both Michelle Bachmann and Herman Cain pointedly dodged questions asking if, in their opinion, Mormons are Christians. Both refused to "refudiate" Pastor Jeffires directly. Guess the strategy is to let Ol' Willard twist in the wind...

Crazy Eyes Bachmann: "To me, this is about religeous tolarance" (Oh SNAP!!! Is Willard a "Mormon" or a "Muslim"???)

I thought you started this thread by mentioning Cain and Bachmann not answering a CNN question and then you had to throw the Perry name in at the end. What does he have to do with how Bachmann and Cain responded and I happen to think Cain's response was right on: he isn't running for Theologian-in-chief. Can you expalin what is classless about the comment?
Nita

Old 10-10-2011, 03:08 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Are Mormans Christians? Cain and Bachmann refuse to say.

In my Opinion, no they are not True Christians. Christains believe in the teachings of the New and Old Testaments, the Book Of Mormon attempts to take it to a new level and direction. While I do agree that they believe in the basics of the Christian beliefs, they also believe in the visions of a man that he claims were heaven sent, I do not believe him.
That said, ALL religions are cults in theirown way, and I do not believe it makes any difference when it comes to a Politician so long as they can put those beliefs behind when representing the people, now if they cannot I say they are unfit to lead a secular Nation, which this Nation Is.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:29 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,993,376 times
They are Christians but adhere to some different theology in addition to the basics.

Really it's not so unlike Catholicism. I've always felt been shifty about Catholics praying to people canonized as saints as if they were gods in their own rights.

A Mormon president won't corrupt the county any more than the first Catholic president.

I think people are more prone to believe any religion that was founded 200-300 years ago to present is cult like. Anything "new and modern" is seen as shifty. Mormonism, Kabbalah, Scientology. They're just too modern for some to be taken seriously.

The old school religions founded/discovered/whatever WAY back in the day - Christianity, Hinduism, Muslim, etc are seen as more accepted.

Last edited by DejaBlue; 10-10-2011 at 04:19 PM..

Old 10-10-2011, 04:04 PM

31,081 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
They are Christians but adhere to some different theology in addition to the basics.

Really it's not so unlike Catholicism. I've always been shifting to the praying to saints as if they were gods in their own rights.

A Mormon president won't corrupt the county any more than the first Catholic president.

I think people are more prone to believe any religion that was founded 200-300 years ago to present is cult like. Anything "new and modern" is seen as shifty. Mormonism, Kabbalah, Scientology. They're just too modern for some to be taken seriously.

The old school religions founded/discovered/whatever WAY back in the day - Christianity, Hinduism, Muslim, etc are seen as more accepted.
Yeah, the longer ago it was formed the longer the time they have had to brain wash us! Everytime someone comes up with a new one I find one more reason not to believe in any of them. I'm going back to worshipping Zeus. Now theres a cool God

Old 10-10-2011, 04:26 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,171,305 times
Calling someone's religion a 'cult' is very insulting and I think it is meant to be. The term cult is also very misused by some religious leaders and others. This is usually due to two things religious intolerance and plain old ignorance.

I heard the responses of the other candidates on the Mormon issue and while they all said it shouldn't be an issue, they also all danced around the issue sufficiently enough to not lose any votes by those that agree with the position that Mormon's are not Christians.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:08 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:

Agreed. Their silence implies assent. Whatever. We've been dealing with this nonsense for 180+ years now. It really doesn't matter whether Cain, Perry or Bachmann think we're Christians. God knows we are, and He's the only one whose opinion matters.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:10 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,518,405 times
I personally think not but it doesn't lower my view of them or anything...

Old 10-10-2011, 06:10 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I thought you started this thread by mentioning Cain and Bachmann not answering a CNN question and then you had to throw the Perry name in at the end. What does he have to do with how Bachmann and Cain responded and I happen to think Cain's response was right on: he isn't running for Theologian-in-chief. Can you expalin what is classless about the comment?
Nita
I think Cain's follow up comment is far more telling.

“I am not going to do an analysis of Mormonism versus Christianity"

Old 10-10-2011, 06:11 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,642,721 times
Quote:
Cain had the one and only correct answer, even though you didn't quote his complete answer....... Nothing else need be said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections