Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:00 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I would prefer a leader that makes decisions and sticks with them than one that bases decisions on the latest views that the mass media fed public offers this week - and the opposite next week.
Rggr, I agree that it is important that a leader have the courage of their convictions but that can be taken too far as well. It is a sign of mature and sound leadership that can adapt to changing variables with an issue.

I would also hope that when a leader changes strategy or course that it isn't based upon the things that you mentioned but instead on intelligence, consensus, logical and rational deliberation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 01:01 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
How does getting expensive haircuts and/or living in a mansion make you a hypocrite if you say you want to focus more of the nation's attention on poverty? Is he supposed to sell his home and give it all to charity? Last I checked, he's not calling on the rich to give up their lifestyles... only pay a bit more to sustain the economy they benefit the most from, and to focus less resources on, say, debating the estate tax, and more on say, healthcare for the middle class.

Are only the poor allowed to discuss their plight? Last I checked, "rich" America doesn't exactly "listen" to the poor or struggling middle class. It would seem to me they would pay more attention when "one of their own" tries to bring the issue to the forefront.

Just because John Edwards is living in the better half of his "two Americas" doesn't make him a hypocrite.

It's amazing the type of people who post on here carping about "hypocrites" when it's sooo painfully obvious they get their points of view from the likes of "Drug abusers should be jailed" narco abuser Rush Limbaugh and family values, "liberals are destroying America so let me scrub your back and rack with a falafell in the shower" Bill O'Reilly!

Priceless.
The upper middle class is considered rich and pay most of the taxes in this country now. How can someone that gets 1,200. haircuts even begin to realize the fact that some Americans cannot even afford to buy proper food for their kids not because they don't want to but because they can't.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:03 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
John Edwards is trying to win on his looks like Clinton did oh and his wifes illness. Not either does a President make.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:26 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,787 times
What about Mitt Romney? He lied about living in Massachusetts. He helped the local Mormons lie so they could build a huge temple in Belmont (they said it would be a "picnic ground"). He said his 5 sons don't "need" to serve in Iraq.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:07 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn
The upper middle class is considered rich and pay most of the taxes in this country now. How can someone that gets 1,200. haircuts even begin to realize the fact that some Americans cannot even afford to buy proper food for their kids not because they don't want to but because they can't.
I don't get your point? He apparently DOES understand that there is a large segment of America that can't afford to buy proper foods for their kids... because one of his major issues is poverty and economic inequality.

Anyway, as always, the $1200 haircut is only half the story:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS News
(CBS/AP) Beverly Hills stylist Joseph Torrenueva tells the Washington Post that one of his haircuts for Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards cost $1,250 because Torrenueva had to fly to Atlanta and missed two days of work as a result.

"He has nice hair," Torrenueva told the newspaper. "I try to make the man handsome, strong, more mature and these are the things, as an expert, that's what we do."

Torrenueva, a Democrat, said he began cutting Edwards' hair for free but wound up charging him $300 to $500 per haircut, plus the cost of airfare and hotel stays. That's because Torrenueva was often forced to meet Edwards on the campaign trail to shear his locks.
Kind of ridiculous? Sure. Does it mean he's a hypocrite? Not in the least.
Just because you want to help the poor and middle class doesn't mean you have to LIVE like you're poor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections