Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 04:18 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times

Advertisements

Barring a miracle the field is set with Romney (23.5), Cain(23.2), and Perry (12.8). (realclearpolitics polling avg in parens). Gingrich at 8.3 is now being mentioned as a dark horse contender who could sneak back in.
RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - 2012 Republican Presidential Nomination

The way I see it:

Romney is the most competent, most polished, best organized, best funded, with the best chance of beating Obama but unfortunately is to the left of even guys like McCain, Bush, and Dole, at least judging by his track record,

Perry is somewhat more conservative than Romney, but still a big-government guy, and a poor debater to boot. But with an enviable record on jobs at a time of 9 pct unemployment, and with a lifetime 15 win, 0 loss record in political campaigns.

Cain is the only conservative ideologue in the race, with a great life story, strong executive experience. Perfect for people like me who are tired of big-government conservatives, and pining for a Reagan. But a high babe-in-the-woods quotient.

I support Herman Cain and sent him a donation the day after he won the FL straw poll. But if you check intrade.com, which in the past has often proven to be right, they only give him an 8.3 percent chance of winning the nomination right now:
Intrade - Herman Cain to be Republican Presidential Nominee in 2012 is 8.0% probable

This is a 26 mile marathon and right now we're maybe at mile 4. Typically a marathon does not gain real definition until mile 18-20 or so. The GOP 2012 convention will happen Aug 27, 2012, about 10 months from now. Where do you see this marathon going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 05:05 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Barring a miracle the field is set with Romney (23.5), Cain(23.2), and Perry (12.8). (realclearpolitics polling avg in parens). Gingrich at 8.3 is now being mentioned as a dark horse contender who could sneak back in.

The way I see it:

Romney is the most competent, most polished, best organized, best funded, with the best chance of beating Obama but unfortunately is to the left of even guys like McCain, Bush, and Dole, at least judging by his track record,

Perry is somewhat more conservative than Romney, but still a big-government guy, and a poor debater to boot. But with an enviable record on jobs at a time of 9 pct unemployment, and with a lifetime 15 win, 0 loss record in political campaigns.

Cain is the only conservative ideologue in the race, with a great life story, strong executive experience. Perfect for people like me who are tired of big-government conservatives, and pining for a Reagan. But a high babe-in-the-woods quotient.

I support Herman Cain and sent him a donation the day after he won the FL straw poll. But if you check intrade.com, which in the past has often proven to be right, they only give him an 8.3 percent chance of winning the nomination right now:
Intrade - Herman Cain to be Republican Presidential Nominee in 2012 is 8.0% probable

This is a 26 mile marathon and right now we're maybe at mile 4. Typically a marathon does not gain real definition until mile 18-20 or so. The GOP 2012 convention will happen Aug 27, 2012, about 10 months from now. Where do you see this marathon going?

Herman Cain Supported the TARP Bailouts - YouTube

Quote:
"Wake up people!" admonished Cain with typical candor. "Owning a part of the major banks in America is not a bad thing. We could make a profit while solving a problem." Cain goes on to defend Treasury's decision to post-legislatively change TARP to buy preferred stock in banks rather than toxic mortgages. "You got a problem with that?" asks Cain. Apparently he didn't.

Cain reassures "free market purists" that the Treasury's stock purchase is "not nationalization because that would require government to own at least 51% of the entity for an indefinite period of time." (This is a relief, because some of us thought that government would use this foot in the door to force mergers, control salaries, and set lending rules. Oh, wait...)

The issue isn't that one mistake disqualifies a candidate from office, but rather the rationale Cain uses to justify TARP. Is there no limit to government power so long as it's a "win-win for the tax-payer"1? Does the Executive Branch have the authority to decide what constitutes a win-win? If, as Cain concludes, "unprecedented problems require unprecedented solutions," then does that include unconstitutional solutions?
Articles: Raisin' [a Few Issues for the Purpose of Honestly Vetting Herman] Cain!

Herman Cain Flip-Flops on Federal Reserve Audit - YouTube

Quote:
[COLOR=green ! important][COLOR=green ! important]Republican [COLOR=green ! important]presidential [/color][COLOR=green ! important]candidate[/color][/color][/color] Herman Cain said Sunday he wasn’t being serious when he told a crowd this weekend that he wants an electric fence to span the border along Mexico.
Appearing on NBC’s Meet the Press with David Gregory, Cain said, “That’s a joke, David … That’s not a serious plan.” (*My own insert* A joke? Not a serious plan? I could say that about any of Herman's "plans)

[LEFT]
Read more: Herman Cain | Electric Fence | New York Times | The Daily Caller
[/LEFT]

Cain Ties Romney for Title of Flip Flop Champ! - YouTube

Herman Cain's a joke.
[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Old 10-16-2011, 05:07 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,464,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

The way I see it:

Those numbers are obviously cherry picked and notice how Ron Paul IS LEFT OUT COMPLETELY. That just goes to show the numbers aren't credible.

Ron Paul will probably end up the nominee by default as all the others will be ruled out for one reason or another. Gingrich has no money. Nobody is sold on Perry or Romney and all the money in the world isn't going to propel either of them to the nomination unless they come up with a believable message. Cain is the flavor of the month who hasn['t even established positions on all the issues and Bachman can't go the distance.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
"I'm not sure what you mean by neoconservative," said Cain. "I am a conservative, yes. Neoconservative -- labels sometimes will put you in a box. I'm very conservative."

"But you're familiar with the neoconservative movement?" asked Gregory.
"I'm not familiar with the neoconservative movement," admitted Cain. "I'm familiar with the conservative movement. Let me define what I mean by the conservative movement -- less government, less taxes, more individual responsibility."
Herman Cain: 'I'm Not Familiar With The Neoconservative Movement'

What an intellectual lightweight empty suit joke.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:48 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,173,002 times
Intrade has Romney at 66%.

Intrade - Mitt Romney to be Republican Presidential Nominee in 2012 is 66.0% probable

However, unfortunately, the Republican party is not what it used to be. It has been infiltrated by people who do not do their own research, they don't read...they just listen to Fox and people like Rush and Laura Ingraham...and those are the the more informed ones. Therefore, there is just no telling what will shake out. There is a part of the party that is playing right into the democrats hands. They are destined to lose this race for us by being goofy.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:16 PM

730 posts, read 828,389 times
i can see a romney/rubio ticket. I think the other candidates are too polarizing, just as obama is now. Romney is right in the middle, thus, he'll probably end up on top.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:30 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post

I agree. Cain is a walking gimmick. Come on Republicans -- put up a real candidate please.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
The columns ranged from heavy economic pontification to colorful treatises on topics like why Tiger Woods should run for President in 2016. But a common thread running through much of his writing was a startlingly poor power of foresight – and not just about Woods, whose “character, discipline and leadership” Cain lauded in 2006.
In at least one column, Cain seemed to condemn a proposal that is now a pillar of his highly touted 9-9-9 tax plan. On November 12, 2010, Cain wrote a column about rumors that Democrats would propose a consumption tax called a VAT. “The worst idea is a proposed national sales tax,” Cain wrote. A 9% national sales tax is now one of Cain’s three nines.
The problem, Cain argued in 2010, is that similar national sales taxes have “eventually gone up or expanded” in other countries. This argument echoes current conservative critics of 9-9-9, including Americans For Tax Reform’s Grover Norquist, who claim that enacting a national consumption tax would make the government more vulnerable to revenue-hungry bureaucrats.
At the conclusion of the column, Cain did endorse eviscerating the current tax code and replacing it with a flat tax, which is consistent with what he wants to do now with 9-9-9. “Mr. Cain has been a proponent of the Fair Tax and Flat Tax over the past 15 years,” says Cain campaign spokesman J.D. Gordon, who denies that there’s any contradiction between 9-9-9 and the 2010 column. “To take something out of context in a 600-word commentary, out of over 500 columns published over 15 years, frankly does not make sense.”
Nonetheless, with Cain surging in the polls, his rivals for the Republican nomination may seek to use his past statements against him. And tax policy was not the only area where Cain may have misjudged the future. Throughout 2008, Cain repeatedly wrote that the creeping economic downturn was an invention of the mainstream media.
The recession officially began in December 2007, according to the National Bureau of Economic Research. But in a Jan. 21, 2008, column entitled, “Recession? Spare us the National Economic Pity Party,” Cain compared fear of a downturn to a Hollywood script, and stated there was only an “economic correction, not an economic recession.” The damage would be minimal, Cain predicted, and would help downsize “overbuilt” portions of the economy while only “some consumers who have spent too much” would feel the pain.
[LEFT]
Read more: In Herman Cain’s Writings, a Startling Lack of Foresight | Swampland | TIME.com
[/LEFT]
Jeez, this guy just gets worse and worse.
Quote:
“I get the same stupid question at almost every one of these events,” Cain writes. “I know it’s a deliberate strategy. How can a person randomly show up at a hundred events and ask the same stupid question to try to nail me on the Federal Reserve? It’s really becoming annoying more than anything else.”
Cain said Paul’s fan have “stretched the truth” by accusing him of not wanting to audit the fed.
“I have never said that,” Cain wrote. “I have said: ‘I don’t think you’re going to find anything to audit on the Federal Reserve.’ But they want you to believe that Herman Cain doesn’t want the Federal Reserve to be audited.”
Cain | Paul | Federal Reserve | The Daily Caller

No Need To Audit the Federal Reserve According to Herman Cain - YouTube

Herman Cain's a lying flip flopper.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:02 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Those numbers are obviously cherry picked and notice how Ron Paul IS LEFT OUT COMPLETELY. That just goes to show the numbers aren't credible.

Ron Paul will probably end up the nominee by default as all the others will be ruled out for one reason or another. Gingrich has no money. Nobody is sold on Perry or Romney and all the money in the world isn't going to propel either of them to the nomination unless they come up with a believable message. Cain is the flavor of the month who hasn['t even established positions on all the issues and Bachman can't go the distance.
Ron Paul reminds me of the story of the tortoise and the hare, I think as long as he keeps up his slow and steady pace, he has a real chance to be the Republican nominee. Ever since the 2008 election he has been gaining more and more traction.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:05 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,519,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post

That quote of his made me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections