Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 12:09 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
There are so many dynamics that accompany such a great change in the tax plan - that I don't think anyone in a short time frame could grasp what would happen.

On the one hand, yes, higher incomes would be reduced and those paying nothing will now be paying something.

People usually make that one claim and say the plan is a failure. But what else may happen?
  • IRS could shrink its processing team, less forms to print - so government costs are down.
  • Higher income people keep more of their money, BUT they can now buy more stuff. So the increased consumption will increase their tax burden. It's up to the individual.
  • Increased consumption should increase jobs, since there will be more demand.
  • People will be encouraged to save their money because that will decrease their tax burden. It's up to the individual.
  • With corporate taxes down, companies are less likely to leave - and some may come back.
  • Repair business would boom because with a tax on new items only, it would be more important to some to keep older products maintenanced properly.
I just want to make sure we are looking at this dynamically.

The jobs are never coming back home no matter what the politicians throw at the corporations. Factories are built where the markets for the products are. The market is in developing countries and emerging nations. China buys more Buicks than America does.

The US is a consumer driven society. Our GDP is based on consumption. A national sales tax will stifle consumption.

Saving money will not help the economy. Interest on savings is running .25%. Might as well stuff it in your mattress to avoid the bank fees. Right now businesses are sitting on 2.5 Trillion dollars in liquid capital. They are saving it rather than spending it on expansion or hiring. It's one of the main reasons the economy is in the tank.

IRS will expand under the 999 plan. Each business will have to track every dollar spent and every dollar recieved to show where profit is either made or expenditures spent. There will be compliance agents en-mass.

Cain wants to tax seniors and dismantle SSI and Medicare. Seniors on fixed income will need to pool their resources in groups to survive. This system used to be called "poor houses" prior to the implementation of the Social Security System.

Nobody will ever buy a new house and the construction industry will never recover. Used house will be way over valued.
The Cuban auto industry is a perfect example of buying used rather than new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 12:20 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Do you realize that is as racists as saying, I hope he doesn't win because he's black?
Ya'll just throw up the word racism in the strangest contexts. A Republican voting for Cain for the expressed purpose of demonstrating to African Americans that the Republican Party is a viable choice for African American is a the act of making a political statement and is just as electing a woman or a libertarian. Politics is just as much symbolism as it is policy and when both coincide it is a positive act not one of racism. You folks are deeply confused.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:33 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,968 times
Herman Cain is very good for the Republican Party as far as bringing in more diversity to the party. I am not convinced he is ready to be president because he lacks some experience in government and policy, but I do think he would make a good vp choice.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:55 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
Im hoping for him to succeed though. Hope he doesn't win is negative. I'm thinking positively.
I positively hope he loses.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:07 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ya'll just throw up the word racism in the strangest contexts. A Republican voting for Cain for the expressed purpose of demonstrating to African Americans that the Republican Party is a viable choice for African American is a the act of making a political statement and is just as electing a woman or a libertarian. Politics is just as much symbolism as it is policy and when both coincide it is a positive act not one of racism. You folks are deeply confused.
Well...let's think outside the box here a bit.

Just because it isn’t racism in the traditional sense or circumstance that we normally see it, doesn’t make it not so.

Let me ask you a question.

If another candidate loses out on the nomination because voters voted for their opponent base on their race, what do you call that? Or to put it another way, didn't vote for the other guy/gal because their skin color didn't "make a politcal statement" ...how is that not racism? Do you feel better calling it reverse racism?

Old 10-19-2011, 02:26 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,173,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
There are so many dynamics that accompany such a great change in the tax plan - that I don't think anyone in a short time frame could grasp what would happen.

On the one hand, yes, higher incomes would be reduced and those paying nothing will now be paying something.

People usually make that one claim and say the plan is a failure. But what else may happen?
  • IRS could shrink its processing team, less forms to print - so government costs are down.
  • Higher income people keep more of their money, BUT they can now buy more stuff. So the increased consumption will increase their tax burden. It's up to the individual.
  • Increased consumption should increase jobs, since there will be more demand.
  • People will be encouraged to save their money because that will decrease their tax burden. It's up to the individual.
  • With corporate taxes down, companies are less likely to leave - and some may come back.
  • Repair business would boom because with a tax on new items only, it would be more important to some to keep older products maintenanced properly.
I just want to make sure we are looking at this dynamically.
The plan is a failure simply because it will be a new tax. Bachmann is correct, the congress never eliminate any tax. This one of the 9 will be adapted to the existing income tax.

You have to remembered, when the income tax was pass, the 1% start at 20k (1913 money, that's like 1.4 million today) and top it off at 7%. But as you have know, this 1% went up to 90% in less than 30 years. It wasn't until JFK and the Reagan who bought it way down.

Therefore, even if the 999 replaced the current income tax, what is preventing it change it to 30/30/30.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Well...let's think outside the box here a bit.
That would be refreshing.

Quote:
If another candidate loses out on the nomination because voters voted for their opponent base on their race, what do you call that? Or to put it another way, didn't vote for the other guy/gal because their skin color didn't "make a politcal statement" ...how is that not racism? Do you feel better calling it reverse racism?
How disappointing, and here I thought we would be thinking out the box. Oh well.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:27 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That would be refreshing.

How disappointing, and here I thought we would be thinking out the box. Oh well.
Enlighten me. At this point, I'm going with you don't have an answer.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:28 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I think him winning it will get a lot more black americans interested in what the republican party has to offer. I myself am mixed american (half white/half black) and am open with what anybody has to say.

Viewing his recent campaign stops, I've seen an increase of black americans attending his event. Im not saying blacks that vote for dems are on the plantation, or that other idiotic rhetoric. I'm just saying seeing one of there own, somebody you can identify with, will get more people interested in the party.

Identity is important in politics.
this is just daffy as hell
people with narrow minds will only see Cain as an uncle tom
and personally, I am sick of race babbling all together!
GOOD GRIEF!
why can we not just have a discussion about their policies??
people are either race baiting, or screaming racist
get over it!

Old 10-19-2011, 04:28 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
If you love Barack Obama and want 4 more years then by all means hope for a Herman Cain nomination. That man will ensure 4 more years. This election cycle's equivalent of John Kerry, by that I mean a weak lame duck candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections