Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 10:16 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Have any of you ever thought that big media is really controlling these poll numbers and surges?

If you look at the entirety of the primary process, just about every candidate has had a surge, an anal exam, and a fall - except Romney and Huntsman. Even Santorum who has been at the bottom of the barrel the whole time is now having a surge. It makes no sense. It seems like they are being lifted up for the purpose of airing dirty laundry and sinking them.

Forget the past histories and everything else that has been hyped by the media. The media has no interest except electing Obama again.

Examine the positions - really. Look at present positions and past governing actions. Vote according to your principles and be true to yourself. Forget the polls. Forget the media hype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 10:38 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Have any of you ever thought that big media is really controlling these poll numbers and surges?
Nope.

Quote:
If you look at the entirety of the primary process, just about every candidate has had a surge, an anal exam, and a fall - except Romney and Huntsman. Even Santorum who has been at the bottom of the barrel the whole time is now having a surge. It makes no sense. It seems like they are being lifted up for the purpose of airing dirty laundry and sinking them.
Prove it.

Quote:
Forget the past histories and everything else that has been hyped by the media. The media has no interest except electing Obama again.
And the evidence to back up your bold claim is...

Quote:
Examine the positions - really. Look at present positions and past governing actions. Vote according to your principles and be true to yourself. Forget the polls. Forget the media hype.
OK

Old 12-30-2011, 10:42 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
I'm still waiting for the fake shock and surprise from the media when the Santorum/fetus issue is "discovered" but I think they are still in the process of selling the upswing...give it a few days...might be more fun and beneficial for them to take him down over that after he does well in Iowa.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:47 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I'm still waiting for the fake shock and surprise from the media when the Santorum/fetus issue is "discovered" but I think they are still in the process of selling the upswing...give it a few days...might be more fun and beneficial for them to take him down over that after he does well in Iowa.
I'm not a fan of Santorum, but I think attacking the guy for what he did after his newborn son died is pretty low... even for the media.

That said, I think he's a warmonger and a bigot, which is reason enough not to vote for him.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:51 AM

So, the Santorum-fetus incident was made up by the media?

"In his Senate office, on a shelf next to an autographed baseball, Sen. Rick Santorum keeps a framed photo of his son Gabriel Michael, the fourth of his seven children. Named for two archangels, Gabriel Michael was born prematurely, at 20 weeks, on Oct. 11, 1996, and lived two hours outside the womb.

Upon their son's death, Rick and Karen Santorum opted not to bring his body to a funeral home. Instead, they bundled him in a blanket and drove him to Karen's parents' home in Pittsburgh. There, they spent several hours kissing and cuddling Gabriel with his three siblings, ages 6, 4 and 1 1/2. They took photos, sang lullabies in his ear and held a private Mass.

"That's my little guy," Santorum says, pointing to the photo of Gabriel, in which his tiny physique is framed by his father's hand. The senator often speaks of his late son in the present tense. It is a rare instance in which he talks softly."

Father First, Senator Second (washingtonpost.com)

Old 12-30-2011, 10:51 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
I'm not a fan of Santorum, but I think attacking the guy for what he did after his newborn son died is pretty low... even for the media.

That said, I think he's a warmonger and a bigot, which is reason enough not to vote for him.
Well, they have not done it...yet, but I am waiting for it, and quite honestly if they dont I'll be surprised. I agree that it is a bit of a personal thing and hard to "attack" someone for something that most of us will never go through, but it is still an incredibly creepy thing.

I'm with you on the warmonger and bigot aspect though.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
It wasn't a newborn son.

It was a miscarried fetus about the size of a cell phone.

Quote:
Kind of revealing how those who beat the war drums the loudest have never served a day in the military.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:05 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
I won't pretend to have all the answers, but I am here at ground zero and can provide you what I've seen/witnessed. Everything I see in the polls seems to correspond to where I"m at also. For those that might not realize, registered Repubs in Iowa (assuming I'm in the norm) get at least one call...maybe more PER DAY from pollsters right now.

First off, I will acknowledge the media does play a roll (although I think it actually is a decreased role compared to the past....depending on the audience). FOX News and even the more liberal stations all seem to have a bias for or against certain candidates and that does play a part but it is far from the whole story.

Living in Iowa, we are incredibliy fortunate to have access to the candidates. I've heard them all speak in person at least once (some several times) ...with the exception of Huntsman...and have shook hands with at least half of them. All have spoken at my place of work and taken Q & A''s after their prepared remarks. All, again except Huntsman, have appeared on my fav local conservative radio talk shows...some several times.

Bottomline: I feel I know all of them very well....beyond the 30 second TV ads or short interviews you see on the 24 hour news channels.

I've gone with the cycles...it is almost crazy because it seems I'd settle on a new fav and the next poll would come out and confirm the direction I was currently leaning. Weird? Not really.

I originally had a lot of interest in Bachmann heading into the Ames Straw Poll last August. She won the poll (barely) but I left the event with a much less favorable impression of her simply based on how her campaign presented itself there. I actually ended up voting for Santorum based on a local radio interview I'd heard a day or so before and the fact I was able to interact with him several times during the straw poll event.

Shortly after the Straw Poll, Perry surged. I didn't get on this bandwagon mainly because I was a bit bitter about him blowing off the straw poll, and then at the same time, announcing his run that same day. (i.e...I sacrificed time away from my family that day to drive to Ames to be politically active, I didn't appreciate his attempt to steal the headlines that day.). I got over it, but then the debates began and ouch....Perry proved to be not ready for primetime. His debate performances caused his numbers to drop, not the media.

In the meantime, Gingrich rolled out his new Contract here in Des Moines (which I attended the event) and his debates performances were very strong. I was on board with Newt. Amazingly, the polls followed shortly thereafter.

In the meantime, while I was on board with Newt, I kept an eye on Ron Paul as he was a frequent guest on my fav local talk radio show.

Pretty soon the negative ads against Newt FLOODED the TV and radio here in Iowa. At first I ignored, but soon realized that this was just a hint of what Obama would do come the general election. I got off the bandwagon. Amazingly (again), the polls did the same. It was almost freaky.

So...what was left after the fallout? Ron Paul and Santorum. Both are now surging days before the caucus. I get no less than 1-2 calls a day from pollsters. The fact that both are polling strong is not suprising at all to me as that is where I'm at. Romney keeps steady because he is spending a lot of $$ on TV ads, so this works well for those that know they want to vote GOP, but are not active enough to really dig deep into the issues IMO.

Anway...that is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Old 12-30-2011, 11:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Let's hope most do vote principles and stay true to themselves, but let's hope everyone votes as well. If your candidate isn't the choice of the party or on the ballot somewhere, don't just not vote period....

Nita

Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It wasn't a newborn son.

It was a miscarried fetus about the size of a cell phone.
I'm pretty sure that I read that his son was born prematurely and lived for about two hours outside of the womb. I think that it would be a hard thing for a family to go through. I'm no fan of Santorum, but holding this against him is pretty low. Is it odd? Well, I don't know if there's a right way to act in that situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections