Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important is the issue of homosexuality in determining who to vote for?
Its the make or break issue for me! 11 13.10%
Very Important 13 15.48%
Somewhat imporant 12 14.29%
I could care less! 48 57.14%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Candidates such as Bachman, Santorum, Perry, etc are primarily motivated by the issue of homosexuality and evangelical Christians are flocking to them on this issue alone. Many gays are conservative except for gay issues but will still vote for Obama because of his stance on homosexuality. How important is this issue in determining who you vote for? Could you vote for somebody who you agreed with on most issues but disagreed with on gay rights?
i don't think they, especially Perry are primarily motivated by homosexual issues, yes, they play a part in the overall picture, but it isn't anywhere near their number one concern.

Personally, I did vote, somewhat concenrned. I do not think homosexual issues belong in the campaign at all except for the subject of DA/Dt and any issues dealing with legal rights. Even the legal rights issues belong at the state level.

Could I vote for someone that doesn't share my views on gay rights? Yes. I have to look at his/her entire platform. There are only a couple of issues that I feel so strongly about that I could not vote for a candidate who doesn't share my views on the subject.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 06:45 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Who cares!
Right now we have more pressing issues than worrying about Adam and Steve or Eve and Eve.

I'm more concerned about the 8+ percent unemployment
The largest deficit in history! This current administration has borrowed more than any administration in history combined and now wants 2 Trillion more!
Increased welfare
The highest level on record of food stamp use.
More government money being infused into the criminal Fannie Freddie structure
Cutting defense while sending troops into North Africa that somehow does not make the news, 1500 and counting.
The worthless dollar.
Our declining educational achievement standings thank to the teachers union NEA and Department of "no" Education.
Fake non inflation numbers being reported (separate housing) and we are over 10%. Bought any groceries, clothing, or paid any utilities lately.
Rewarding laziness (Obamas tax payer provided cell phones) and punishing achievement.
The ever increasing entitlement mentality.
Spending billions on taking care of rouge dictators around the world with our tax dollars.
Wondering when we will finally close bases and save billions in Germany and Japan for example (when I was in the Army we called Germany the vacation destination duty station) folks, it's been 50+ years.
Stopping government waste.
Making sure Pelosi is not the Speaker ever again.
Making sure Obama is a one term tenured President
Making sure loons like Santorum do not take his place.

Gays? Who has time for that and again who cares!

Old 01-08-2012, 09:37 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Someone's government ideal is indicated to me by this issue - among others...

I don't think that any government has any business in anyone else's bedroom. Period.Any candidate who insists that government should be used to force people to follow a certain religious or emotional belief, with legal penalties if they don't, doesn't get my vote.

You do realize that the FBI has increasingly gotten involved in prostitution enforcement over the past decade and under the Obama DOJ this trend has spiked. It is ostensibly about underage prostitution and trafficking (forced prostitution), but as is often the case with vice police the overwhelming proportion of arrests are of consenting adults.

Feds rescue 69 child prostitutes; bust 99 pimps and hundreds of other adults in nationwide sting - New York Daily News

This is a common ploy among vice cops because the public will complain when cops go after consenting adults, but cheer when cops go after underage & trafficking activity.

Above story about a massive sting called 'operation cross country' direct by the Fibbies yielded 880 adults and 69 minors. About 7 pct. of those involved in the sting were minors, which is not an unusual ratio for these ops that purportedly target underage prostitutiton.

I'm curious then; does this mean that Obama doesn't get your vote?

Old 01-08-2012, 10:57 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
Listening to the Candidates views on same sex marriage and how they think this is going to be a 'uniting issue" for them is Pathetic and dangerous.
Marriage is a Man Made tradition. Homosexuality is genetic and not decided on by a individual. Homosexuality is no different to Heterosexuality except Homosexuals desire people of the same sex and Heterosexuals Desire people of the opposite sex. Homosexuals should be given exactly the same rights as Heterosexuals and that includes Marriage.
The Candidates sounded very similar to Hitler but instead of Jews being made second class citizens.... homosexuals are being downgraded. Hitler also started gently then united the majority against the jews...... i never want to see anything like that here but by not allowing Homosexuals the exact same rights as Heterosexuals it starts a dangeous precedent that will erode more and more rights not only to Homosexuals but to anyone who the "God Squad" feels is a threat to their beliefs.
The Constitution says all men are born equal............ if you think homosexuals are not equal then you are against the constitution........... simple.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:19 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,871 times
I have a lot more things to worry about than what a persons sexual orientation happens to be, like the craptastic job market where you need a degree to be able find work at a damn McDonalds.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:20 AM

12 posts, read 22,867 times
Government should stay out of people's bedrooms.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:27 PM

674 posts, read 698,516 times
I could NOT care less.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:24 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
I am more concerned that because money has been ruled as free speech and corporations ruled as people, that corporations now have more rights in this country than real people, regardless off the sexual orientation of those people.

Here is a thought: do the same politicians who are against gay marriages, are they against corporate mergers of similar corporations? After all, corporations are people. And if corporations have the same rights as people, do we let the SEC approve gay marriage?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:20 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Someone's government ideal is indicated to me by this issue - among others.

I don't think that any government has any business in anyone else's bedroom. Period. I don't care if gays marry, I don't care if they adopt children (as long as the children are not neglected or abused). Anyone who wants to use government as a big stick to beat people into any conformity of relationship is an authoritarian - someone who thinks that they have a right to use government to tell people how to live their personal lives. BUT - that also means that I don't want teachers teaching, or governments defending and promoting, any lifestyle - gay, straight, Christian, Muslim, hiphop or country - over any other. If I want my kids to be indoctrinated in a particular faith, I'll send them to a Catholic or Muslim school; it is my right to have that option. If I don't want them indoctrinated, but educated, I should be able to send them to public school without being told that they have to write an essay on "Why I admire Martin Luther King" for Black History Month, "Why I Admire Che Guevara" for Hispanic History Month, "Why I admire Harvey Milk" for Gay History Month, any more than I want them writing graded essays about "Why I love Jesus" or "Why I love Mohammed". Teaching tolerance and acceptance is one thing - forcing political correctness
is totally different, and I don't want my tax dollars being spent for it.

Any candidate who insists that government should be used to force people to follow a certain religious or emotional belief, with legal penalties if they don't, doesn't get my vote.
Exactly. I'd rep you if I could.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,373 times
The question was how important is the issue of homosexuality in my vote?

Poorly worded question. Do you mean is it important that we have a President that supports the equity of gays? If so, then yes, it's very important. Do you mean is it important that gays should be able to marry? If so, then yes, it's very important.

If you meant, "is it important that you turn an entire group of people into pariahs, then it is still imporatant.............It's important that we don't let freaks like Santorum turn this country into a freaking Christian taliban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections