Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 11:09 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Romney doesn't want to take away Social Security. He's the only one of the Republican candidates who wants to save it.
I thought he liked Ryan's plan. That is taking away SS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
That is not actually true either. The years he worked and earned a salary he would have contributed to FICA and would be eligible for Social Security and Medicare.
Maybe that is why he is running - to get rid of some of those zeros on his SS statement.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:12 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I thought he liked Ryan's plan. That is taking away SS.
Romney supports the part of Ryan's plan that addresses Medicare.

And Ryan's plan calls for replacing Medicare with private health insurance paid for with vouchers provided by government. It does not call for just cutting off the elderly.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 01-24-2012 at 12:07 PM..

Old 01-24-2012, 11:15 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Well, some people like boring, as long as the message bodes well with their personal beliefs and desires.
That's certainly true.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
$3million out of $45million income???? Sure doesn't sound like 10%. I thought you were supposed to give 10% to your church. So you're saying mittens took a lower rate there, too. I guess the middle class members of his church can make up for him....

Seriously, tell me how cutting $3million in income off his return lowered his rate? What marginal rate was he ducking under and how much cash would giving $3million away save him? Or were you using sarcasm?
His income in 2010 was $21 million, not $45 million.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Actually that is not true, because most Americans actually pay an effective tax rate of less than 15%. Mitt Romney, even at 15% is one of the highest tax contributors in the country. A huge percentage of people in this country do not pay anything in federal or state taxes.
And a large percentage of those are people on social security income only. Would you like to tax them on their $900 per month or ask Romney to pay a little more - like what those pensioners were paying during their working careers? Or better yet, take away that social security and use the savings to cut Romney's taxes even lower? That's what many Republicans want to do.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
So, isn't Mittens and his low tax rate supposed to be a job creator? How many jobs has he created while taking advantage of the U.S. tax code and stashing money in the Cayman Islands, Luxemburg etc. in the last 15 years? What has he done as one of the vaunted trickle down job creators? The middle class will finally get a clear picture of why the "rich stay rich" and the "poor stay poor"...Thanks Mitt for making this such a gigantic issue. The middle class and Barack Obama thanks you.
There's a difference between "stashing" and investing. If you own a 401K some of your money may well be "stashed" in emerging economies stocks. But don't let the difference deter you from making a purely political argument based on spin rather than facts.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
The issue is that being wealthy shouldn't be an advantageous priviledge.
It's not. Millions of middle class Americans are taxed at the 15% rate on their capital gains.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:30 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Quote:
The issue is that being wealthy shouldn't be an advantageous priviledge.
It's pretty hard to think of wealth as something not advantageous or a privilege, isn't it?

It's simple: Did Romney file a legal return? Is he in compliance with the tax laws that both Republicans and Democrats passed?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:33 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
Romney Paid 13.9% Tax Rate on $21.6 Million in 2010 Income - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/romney-paid-13-9-tax-050000877.html - broken link)

What a D-bag this guy is! I made 100,000 in 2010 and had to about 28% in taxes!
Capital gains tax in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Willard paid exactly what he owed. He is currently in retirement status and living off of his investments. That is where all of us would like to be when we are retired. That is a big part of why the rate is 15%. The US Federal Government saw fit to lower the bar for that sort of income.

If you made 100,000 off of nothing but investment income, you'd have paid the same % as him. 15% with 1% coming off from various deductions and credits and so forth.

Part of me hates the fact that some people out there are getting undertaxed while people like you and me (I'm in the 25% bracket) are getting crushed by taxes. It sucks and we want it to end. But hating on Willard seems pretty silly when General Electric makes billions and got away with paying 0% taxes in the same year Mitt paid 14%.

Being outraged by this imbalance is pretty normal. All of the candidates are making incomes we will never see in our lifetime, including Obama. But the more important question is who will actually lower your tax rate? Mr Obama wants you to stop paying 28% and start paying 31%. He wants me to stop paying 25% and start paying 28%. For all their talk about fairness and equality, the Democrats are the ones that want both of us to pay more. Mitt Romney and the rest of the GOP want me to pay less taxes. Sounds good to me!

I'd rather see Paul gunning for 0% tax rate. I'd like to keep all the money I make, thank you very much. That failing, I'd rather pay less taxes, not more. It's pretty self-defeating to focus on Romney paying less taxes and lose sight of what we both want: Less taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections