Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who won the GOP debate on Fox News? WHY??
Mitt Romney (ex-Gov MA) 4 9.30%
Rudy Giulliani (ex-Mayor NYC) 4 9.30%
Ron Paul (TX Rep.) 22 51.16%
Tom Tancredo (CO Rep.) 1 2.33%
Mike Huckabee (Ex-Gov AR) 3 6.98%
Duncan Hunter (CA Rep.) 4 9.30%
Juan McCain (AZ Senator) 2 4.65%
Sam Brownback (KS Senator) 0 0%
Fred Thompson... wait.. he was a no-show!! heh 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 11:57 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ron Paul pounded the last nail in the coffin of his candidacy.. he's just too weird. I thought Giuliani won, but McCain pulled himself out of the crapper, bigtime. Romney and Huckabee maintained their positions, and the rest of them can just go away.
The Washington Post political blog, called "The Fix", agrees with you that Giuliani and McCain did well. Apparently, he felt that Paul didn't come off well during his exchange about the responsibility for post war Iraq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 12:43 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,347 times
Quote:
Ron Paul pounded the last nail in the coffin of his candidacy.. he's just too weird. I thought Giuliani won, but McCain pulled himself out of the crapper, bigtime. Romney and Huckabee maintained their positions, and the rest of them can just go away.

I agree with you. Ron Paul comes across as a hysteric. I agree with him on many issues but I don’t think hysteria will play well as a president. He is really pro legalizing drugs......maybe that is where his problem lies.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:51 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
The Washington Post political blog, called "The Fix", agrees with you that Giuliani and McCain did well. Apparently, he felt that Paul didn't come off well during his exchange about the responsibility for post war Iraq.
That's how I felt, as well.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:33 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francej16 View Post
I love how people explain away voting by saying it is only a few people who are constantly voting.

Maybe Huckabee wasn't too popular either and his 18% was his same 2 fans voting over and over again LOL .. Sheeple wouldn't question the polling results if it had the GOPs little lambs w/the leading percentages (Romney, Guiliana and Romney) PPPFFTTTT
Here's a kicker for you...Ron Paul is very popular... again as I mentioned before check out his myspace page. in 2 1/2 months he has added over 25000 new supporters.

(one one poll votingon the internet I voted for Paul once. Then went back and tried to again to test your theory. Nope didn't work.The vote tally stayed exactly the same. Remember dear this is NOT American Idol LOL)
What makes you think 2 people gave Huckabee his 18% on the post-derbate poll?? Is that because Huckabee is pro-illegal and no one cars about him? May I remind you Huckabee came out 2nd in the Iowa Straw Poll?

To be honest, I feel that this poll is kinda silly as most people went to bed (because they have to rise and shine early next morning for work) and many older folks do NOT text message. So really, I think the text msg poll is less meaningful than the one we have here. The whole Paul 33% clearly shows that a few people were texting non-stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Actually, it's FOX NEWS. Just because it doesn't lean to the left like you want all news channels to doesn't mean it's not a legitimate news channel.
Fox is legit. Cnn, NBC, and ABC keep trying this bogus argument that Fox is not legit. But no one watches these "news" channels anymore because everyone now knows these are mere propaganda tools for the far far left of America. That is why their ratings suck compared to Fox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
McCain surprised me tonight. I thought he was out...but now, not sure. I liked him in the debate and think he has a choice.
Why?? Because he was finally coherent for the first time in a long time? Honestly, McCain is a hardcore liberal. That is why McCain will never, ever be President. I am sorry, he goes against everything the GOP believes, staring with free speech to illegal immigration to everything elese. McCain's best friend is Ted Kennedy THE most liberal Senator in US History.

Furthermore, what kind of a moron would say that if the US had already been bombed twice and the Big Bomb was coming and they had an Islamist guy in custody who knew where the Big Bomb was, McCain said they would not torture him for the info. Is that acceptable for a President??? Letting millions of Americans die so some Islamist Monster can do his deed and have his "rights" respected?? Oh please. McCain must really be senile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
As has been my standard from the beginning, I voted in the Fox poll 876,693 times for Ron Paul. Once here.
So you were the one who got Ron Paul his 33%!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Thanks, I have dropped my support for Huckabee because of this. I really don't care if Ron Paul wins as long as he is tough on immigration. That's looking good.
Ron Paul wants the US Army on the border. Out of Iraq and into the US boders. I LIKE that. I am a Christian but we need to either arrest or shoot to kill every drug smuggler crossing our border. We need to dry up the drugs that poinson our country, kill our kids, and destroy our cities. It is that simple.

But really, Ron Paul is not viable, he is not even in the top (out of 8, with Thompson as #9). Mitt Romney seems to be a good pick, since he is making ending illegal immigration altogether one of the big focus of his campaign. Tancredo is my choice, but again, he is not viable.

Quote:
Why do you think Rudy won?? I thought he was very comfortable talking and being himself, but Rudy did not get his point across as much as he is used to. So WHY do you think Rudy won??

As you point out, Romney was extremely cool and very well spoken, but he seemed tired to me. This guy is out campaigning 24/7, I kid you not! I think Romney might be the best guy so far, other than my non-viable Tancredo.

McCain might have been coherent on this debate, but will Americans forget his pro-amnesty, anti-free speech (McCain-Feingold), anti-lower taxes stances??

Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
I agree with you. Ron Paul comes across as a hysteric. I agree with him on many issues but I don’t think hysteria will play well as a president. He is really pro legalizing drugs......maybe that is where his problem lies.
Ron Paul is pro-drug legalization?!?!? Holy crap, are you serious???

Old 09-06-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
What makes you think 2 people gave Huckabee his 18% on the post-derbate poll?? Is that because Huckabee is pro-illegal and no one cars about him? May I remind you Huckabee came out 2nd in the Iowa Straw Poll?

To be honest, I feel that this poll is kinda silly as most people went to bed (because they have to rise and shine early next morning for work) and many older folks do NOT text message. So really, I think the text msg poll is less meaningful than the one we have here. The whole Paul 33% clearly shows that a few people were texting non-stop.

Fox is legit. Cnn, NBC, and ABC keep trying this bogus argument that Fox is not legit. But no one watches these "news" channels anymore because everyone now knows these are mere propaganda tools for the far far left of America. That is why their ratings suck compared to Fox.

Why?? Because he was finally coherent for the first time in a long time? Honestly, McCain is a hardcore liberal. That is why McCain will never, ever be President. I am sorry, he goes against everything the GOP believes, staring with free speech to illegal immigration to everything elese. McCain's best friend is Ted Kennedy THE most liberal Senator in US History.

Furthermore, what kind of a moron would say that if the US had already been bombed twice and the Big Bomb was coming and they had an Islamist guy in custody who knew where the Big Bomb was, McCain said they would not torture him for the info. Is that acceptable for a President??? Letting millions of Americans die so some Islamist Monster can do his deed and have his "rights" respected?? Oh please. McCain must really be senile!

So you were the one who got Ron Paul his 33%!! LOL

Ron Paul wants the US Army on the border. Out of Iraq and into the US boders. I LIKE that. I am a Christian but we need to either arrest or shoot to kill every drug smuggler crossing our border. We need to dry up the drugs that poinson our country, kill our kids, and destroy our cities. It is that simple.

But really, Ron Paul is not viable, he is not even in the top (out of 8, with Thompson as #9). Mitt Romney seems to be a good pick, since he is making ending illegal immigration altogether one of the big focus of his campaign. Tancredo is my choice, but again, he is not viable.

Why do you think Rudy won?? I thought he was very comfortable talking and being himself, but Rudy did not get his point across as much as he is used to. So WHY do you think Rudy won??

As you point out, Romney was extremely cool and very well spoken, but he seemed tired to me. This guy is out campaigning 24/7, I kid you not! I think Romney might be the best guy so far, other than my non-viable Tancredo.

McCain might have been coherent on this debate, but will Americans forget his pro-amnesty, anti-free speech (McCain-Feingold), anti-lower taxes stances??

Ron Paul is pro-drug legalization?!?!? Holy crap, are you serious???
Ron Paul (Republican, district 14) On the issues

Legalize industrial hemp. (Jan 2007)
Voted NO on military border patrols to battle drugs & terrorism. (Sep 2001)
Voted NO on subjecting federal employees to random drug tests. (Sep 1998)
War on Drugs has abused Bill of Rights . (Dec 2000)
Legalize medical marijuana. (Jul 2001)
Rated A by VOTE-HEMP, indicating a pro-hemp voting record. (Dec 2003)

Voted NO on Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage. (Jul 2006)

Voted NO on federal crime to harm fetus while committing other crimes. (Apr 2001)
Voted NO on barring transporting minors to get an abortion. (Jun 1999)

Old 09-06-2007, 11:04 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Drug legalization is the only sane policy. Prohibition has failed, and all sorts of thugs and criminals are getting rich off of America's drug habit.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Drug legalization is the only sane policy. Prohibition has failed, and all sorts of thugs and criminals are getting rich off of America's drug habit.
You actually think the thugs and criminals would stop running drugs? Just like with cigarettes there is a huge market for selling them without bothering wth the taxes. In fact it is a big business with the muslims.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
You actually think the thugs and criminals would stop running drugs?
If you kill the market, they won't have a choice. What happened to all the bootleggers after Prohibition? Most of them quit bootlegging. That's what the market commanded. Furthermore, why would you oppose policies that would, at the least, drastically reduce the profits of cartels and drugrunners?

Old 09-07-2007, 02:44 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times
Quote:
Ron Paul (Republican, district 14) On the issues

Legalize industrial hemp. (Jan 2007)
Voted NO on military border patrols to battle drugs & terrorism. (Sep 2001)
Voted NO on subjecting federal employees to random drug tests. (Sep 1998)
War on Drugs has abused Bill of Rights . (Dec 2000)
Legalize medical marijuana. (Jul 2001)
Rated A by VOTE-HEMP, indicating a pro-hemp voting record. (Dec 2003)

Voted NO on Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage. (Jul 2006)

Voted NO on federal crime to harm fetus while committing other crimes. (Apr 2001)
Voted NO on barring transporting minors to get an abortion. (Jun 1999)
So Paul is a drugs-for-all kinda guy, huh? Troubling....

Quote:
You actually think the thugs and criminals would stop running drugs? Just like with cigarettes there is a huge market for selling them without bothering wth the taxes. In fact it is a big business with the muslims.
I totally agree with that. In fact, we had a client smuggling cigs and booze into NH, because the cig and booze tax in NH is very high.

In the Netherlands, where pretty much all drugs are legal and sometimes even supplied freely by the gov't, suicide is so normal, no one seems to care about dead people and the black market for drugs is huge. Same way with the legalized prostitution there. There are ton of college girls who become hookers in their dorms, which is illegal. But it continues to flourish (and so does AIDS and STDs, of course). Why? Because the illicit market for drugs, stolen guns, and prostitution will always be there. And the Netherlands prove that without any doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
If you kill the market, they won't have a choice. What happened to all the bootleggers after Prohibition? Most of them quit bootlegging. That's what the market commanded. Furthermore, why would you oppose policies that would, at the least, drastically reduce the profits of cartels and drugrunners?
No it will not stop. I will tell you why. In Orlando, where I grew up at, crack is sold for like $15 for 3 rocks, according to a co-worker who was a deputy a few years back. If the gov't came in, legalized it, and taxed it, 3 rocks will probably cost $20 - $25 for the same 3 hits. This means, crackheads would still wnat to buy from the street dealer rather than at the newly-legalized drug store. Why? Because crackheads are crazy and they are desperate and willing to murder someone for $15 to get rock. These guys would rather buy it on the street or from their neighbor in the trailer park than at some store.

The truth is, we need to dry up the supply and we can do it at the border. Probably 90% of the illegal drugs sold in the USA come either through Puerto Rico or illegally through the border. If we could dry up the supply at the borders (which can be done, like they did with the San Diego double layer fence installed by Duncan Hunter), the price of drugs would get so high, many people wouldn't be able to afford them. Believe it or not, THAT is a deterrent. Let the market set price and those who cannot buy have to do without. Supply and demand, friend.

Now... seriously... we need to get back to teh GOP Debate discussion. Now that it was stated that Paul is pro-illegal drugs, I am starting to understand why so many liberal Democrats sometimes become libertarians who WORSHIP Ron Paul. They want legalized drugs, specially weed.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:17 AM

Quote:
The truth is, we need to dry up the supply and we can do it at the border.
Dry up SUPPLY? Haha! We can't even dry up supply into our maximum security jails!

Quote:
If the gov't came in, legalized it, and taxed it, 3 rocks will probably cost $20 - $25 for the same 3 hits.
How much does diluted moonshine cut with water and sometimes cleaning fluid cost from your local streetcorner hooch dealer?

Yeah; didn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections