Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:23 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,394,271 times

Advertisements

Remember poor Terri Shaivo? The truely bizarre effort by GOP pols and Christian ministers to stop the family from removing her feeding tubes? The harsh public backlash against the GOP from non-kook Americans?

Well, with the "birth control" fiasco, the GOP may have done it again. Among unmarried women, Obama now leads Romney 65%-35%.

Keep it up guys! We Dems love it

Is birth control fight a Terri Schiavo moment? - The Plum Line - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 05:46 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,217,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Remember poor Terri Shaivo? The truely bizarre effort by GOP pols and Christian ministers to stop the family from removing her feeding tubes? The harsh public backlash against the GOP from non-kook Americans?

Well, with the "birth control" fiasco, the GOP may have done it again. Among unmarried women, Obama now leads Romney 65%-35%.

Is birth control fight a Terri Schiavo moment? - The Plum Line - The Washington Post
It's not just the issue with birth control coverage on insurance policies. Virginia just passed legislation requiring a trans vaginal ultra sound (the kind where they insert the camera into your vagina, through the cervix and into the uterus) before a woman can have an abortion there. It's very uncomfortable, and invasive. The crazy part is that a regular, external ultrasound would give the woman better view of the baby, if the issue is really focused on convincing her to change her mind. I"m moderately pro life, but I'm horrified that the goal is for the government to physically punish women by mandating a medically unnecessary, invasive procedure, that serves no practical purpose, just because they can. This is a dangerous and very slippery slope for anyone concerned with big, abusive governmental control. On top of that, numerous states are introducing personhood legislation, similar to the one that was shot down in Mississippi earlier this year. By declaring that life begins at the moment of fertiliizaton, it would outright ban common forms of birth control like the pill and the IUD. Last I looked, a similar bill passed the house in Virginia, and was easily expected to pass the Senate.

Want to lose women, including many conservative women? Keep going down this path. It's a big deal--a very big deal.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
Quote:

This is in no way even close to the Terry Schiavo situation and I doubt single women support Obama because of the catholic view on birth control, not to mention a leck of large number of single women will not even vote. There are certain groups of people who do vote consistantly and a certain group who do not. This isn't saying, no single women will vote, of course many will, but not in the same percentage of people over 40, families and seniors.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:42 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,511,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is in no way even close to the Terry Schiavo situation and I doubt single women support Obama because of the catholic view on birth control, not to mention a leck of large number of single women will not even vote. There are certain groups of people who do vote consistantly and a certain group who do not. This isn't saying, no single women will vote, of course many will, but not in the same percentage of people over 40, families and seniors.
People who don't normally vote, vote when they feel oppressed. Thanks GOP!!

Old 02-18-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
It's not just the issue with birth control coverage on insurance policies. Virginia just passed legislation requiring a trans vaginal ultra sound (the kind where they insert the camera into your vagina, through the cervix and into the uterus) before a woman can have an abortion there. It's very uncomfortable, and invasive. The crazy part is that a regular, external ultrasound would give the woman better view of the baby, if the issue is really focused on convincing her to change her mind. I"m moderately pro life, but I'm horrified that the goal is for the government to physically punish women by mandating a medically unnecessary, invasive procedure, that serves no practical purpose, just because they can. This is a dangerous and very slippery slope for anyone concerned with big, abusive governmental control. On top of that, numerous states are introducing personhood legislation, similar to the one that was shot down in Mississippi earlier this year. By declaring that life begins at the moment of fertiliizaton, it would outright ban common forms of birth control like the pill and the IUD. Last I looked, a similar bill passed the house in Virginia, and was easily expected to pass the Senate.

Want to lose women, including many conservative women? Keep going down this path. It's a big deal--a very big deal.
I'm very familiar with the new Virginia law. And some people wonder what we mean when we talk about the GOPs contempt for women and their ability to control their bodies. Nothing like a government-mandated session in the stirrups to clarify the point, huh? Freakin' amazing

If McConnell winds up as VP on a GOP ticket in 2012, I hope every woman in America becomes familiar with it too.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:43 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,889,605 times
Quote:
This is in no way even close to the Terry Schiavo situation and I doubt single women support Obama because of the catholic view on birth control, not to mention a leck of large number of single women will not even vote. There are certain groups of people who do vote consistently and a certain group who do not. This isn't saying, no single women will vote, of course many will, but not in the same percentage of people over 40, families and seniors.
I think the OP is not saying it's a Terry Schaivo situation, but that it is a similar theme in that like that issue, it brings to light the over-reach on the part of evangelicals and the GOP into areas they have no business. Religious leaders and right wing Republicans have no right to impose their own religious beliefs regarding women's reproductive rights on the country, just as they had no right to impose their own religious beliefs on a family's personal medical decisions.

And don't discount the number of seniors and women over 40 for whom this is still an important issue (as they have families who will be affected) and/or who simply don't like the idea of religion influencing policies that affect everyone, just as they objected to the Schaivo case even if they weren't personally facing such a situation. It's not just women under 40 who are taking issue with this.

The GOP gives great lip service to smaller, less invasive government, but that's all it is. Their actions consistently prove otherwise.

Last edited by HeyJude514; 02-18-2012 at 11:01 AM..

Old 02-18-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
People who don't normally vote, vote when they feel oppressed. Thanks GOP!!
don't expect women to flock to the polls because of 1 issue that isn't really as bad as some are making it out to be. It is simply a discussion on whether birth control should be 100% free to everyone including the morning after pill: no exceptions. No one is saying women shouldn't be allowed to get birth control or shouldn't be allowed to get it at a reasonalble cost. Heck, I with all perscriptions we use, just to stay alive and healthy were free, but they are not and I wouldn't expect them to be.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I think the OP is not saying it's a Terry Schaivo situation, but that it is a similar theme in that like that issue, it brings to light the over-reach on the part of evangelicals and the GOP into areas they have no business. Religious leaders and right wing Republicans have no right to impose their own religious beliefs regarding women's reproductive rights on the country, just as they had no right to impose their own religious beliefs on a family's personal medical decisions.

And don't discount the number of seniors and women over 40 for whom this is still an important issue (as they have families who will be affected) and/or who simply don't like the idea of religion influencing policies that affect everyone, just as they objected to the Schaivo case even if they weren't personally facing such a situation. It's not just women under 40 who are taking issue with this.

The GOP gives great lip service to smaller, less invasive government, but that's all it is. Their actions consistently prove otherwise.
I realize he /she wasn't really comparing the two, but it was a stupid example for them to give. I don't see where the government comes in to this birth control issue. I see it as just the opposite, the GOP is saying government stay out of the issue. Pres Obama don't dictate what a church or insurence company has to do.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I realize he /she wasn't really comparing the two, but it was a stupid example for them to give. I don't see where the government comes in to this birth control issue. I see it as just the opposite, the GOP is saying government stay out of the issue. Pres Obama don't dictate what a church or insurence company has to do.
Nita, did you check out the new mandatory ultra-sound law in Virginia? The GOP is NOT keeping the government out of the issue or women's reproduction rights- they are climbing right into their hoo-has with CAMERAS, FFS!

Old 02-18-2012, 03:51 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,185,751 times
Quote:

I doubt that is an usual statistic and has nothing to do with the birth control issue, which most single women or Americans for that matter are even paying much attention to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections