Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:22 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times

Advertisements

‘I Fell Short’: Santorum Sorry for Lack of Charitable Giving After Confronted by Glenn Beck - Yahoo! News

Quote:
Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum appeared this morning on Glenn Beck's radio program. While Beck and co-hosts Stu and Pat discussed a number of subjects with the contender, the issues of charitable giving and tithing were among the most noteworthy -- specifically the moments during which Beck challenged Santorum to give more of his income to charitable causes.
(Related: ‘Proof Is in the Pudding’: Santorum Blasts Specter for Denying Their Past Endorsement Deal)
This portion of the conversation started when Pat commented about Mitt Romney's proposal to limit charitable tax deductions for upper one percent of donors. Santorum quickly seized upon the opportunity to launch into his opposition to such a proposal, highlighting the damage it could do to private organizations and religious institutions.
Quote:
"Well, first off I would agree. We all have to do better and I need to do better. A lot of the things I did for charity, for example, aren't on there. I would give speeches for a lot of nonprofit organizations and charge them a greatly discounted fee. That doesn't show up as a charitable contribution, but that is income out of my pocket that I gave in defense to these charitable organizations."
Beck interrupted, though, clearly not swayed by the argument. "Hang on just a second. Hang on just a second -- come on Rick," he said. "I just gave two speeches for free. For free."
Santorum responded: "I appreciate that and you're in a great position to do that. I've got seven kids --." That solicited a chuckle from the radio crew.
"Rick Santorum, I challenge you," Beck then interjected. "Trust in the Lord. You give him the first 10 and your kids are going to be fine."
"I understand...I agree," Santorum conceded. "I need to do better and I should be better and I fell short."

Santorum need to quit talking so much...sheesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 10:26 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times

Old 02-24-2012, 10:54 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Yup.
1) Open Mouth
2) Insert Foot
3) Chew Vigorously
4) Repeat

Ken

Old 02-25-2012, 01:26 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yup.
1) Open Mouth
2) Insert Foot
3) Chew Vigorously
4) Repeat

Ken

He is becoming very accomplished at that!

Old 02-25-2012, 10:23 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times
LOL!!! That's supposed to ban "Onanism", not contraception! Didn't Maher ever read a Boy Scout manual?

Old 02-25-2012, 11:24 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor
Yup.
1) Open Mouth
2) Insert Foot
3) Chew Vigorously
4) Repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
He is becoming very accomplished at that!
Seems to be a condition that several of the GOP candidates suffer from...

Old 02-26-2012, 12:50 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Santorum's hypocrisy knows no bounds. To use your children to explain your lack of charity to those in need? Not only disgusting but also a horrible lesson for his children.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:39 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Santorum's hypocrisy knows no bounds. To use your children to explain your lack of charity to those in need? Not only disgusting but also a horrible lesson for his children.
Perhaps Santorum should take a lesson from the New Testament churches in Greece that St. Paul started--you know, the ones who gave out of their poverty to help their fellow Christians in Jerusalem???

Or perhaps the widow who gave all that she had to the temple out of her own money. The one Jesus made an example out of.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: Right wing politics has nothing to do with the Gospel or Jesus' teaching on how we should treat people. Nothing at all.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:19 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Perhaps Santorum should take a lesson from the New Testament churches in Greece that St. Paul started--you know, the ones who gave out of their poverty to help their fellow Christians in Jerusalem???

Or perhaps the widow who gave all that she had to the temple out of her own money. The one Jesus made an example out of.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: Right wing politics has nothing to do with the Gospel or Jesus' teaching on how we should treat people. Nothing at all.
Yup. The RW uses the Gospel but they don't abide by it. It's merely a tool to gain the support of the gullible.

Ken

Old 02-28-2012, 08:20 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yup. The RW uses the Gospel but they don't abide by it. It's merely a tool to gain the support of the gullible.

Ken
And THAT is what makes ME want to throw up. They flaunt their relationship to Jesus like it's bling while they fleece the gullible of their donations and votes. No different than televangelists, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections