Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:35 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times

Advertisements

I'm neither a Democrat nor a Republican. In fact, I hold both parties in equal disdain. However, It's difficult to ignore the ideological drift that's occurred in The Republican Party over the last few decades.

Just look back at the Eisenhower and Nixon years: unionized labor was respected, or at least was tolerated as a necessary cost of doing business. Environmental concerns weren't ridiculed by party leaders. Taxation of the ultra-wealthy wasn't considered to be un-American. There was often a genuine desire for ideologically-disparate elected officials to work together respectfully to achieve rational legislation.

Today, The Republican Party seems to be little more than an ideological mouthpiece for social conservatives who are entrenched in hate-mongering; and who have a paranoid concern that their traditional culture will be toppled by renegade legions of blacks, gays, immigrants, feminists, and the ghost of Karl Marx. Republican candidates who hearken back to a more reasonable line of thinking are quickly dispensed with by the party machine. The problem is what it is.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:35 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
I haven't always agreed with Hagel, but I've always respected him.

He's not the only "old school Republican" who is having issues recognizing today's GOP.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:38 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Lol, I think you need to explain yourself.

No, he doesn't.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:41 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Lol, nah, I think you are confusing the 2 pieces.
Well now you're just showing strait up bias.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:00 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Norms drivel if you will, at least has some effort put in.
Ornstein ignores the fact that team red has pulled what's considered "acceptable" political discourse to the right to an insane degree while team blue has gone along with it, maintaining an ever-increasingly right wing status quo.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:03 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Look up! Something just flew right over your head.
Yeah! .... A rock hurled by some OWS malcontent!

Old 05-01-2012, 01:05 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Ornstein ignores the fact that team red has pulled what's considered "acceptable" political discourse to the right to an insane degree while team blue has gone along with it, maintaining an ever-increasingly right wing status quo.
What????

OBAMACARE. That's all I need to say.

Right wing status quo my nicely shaped ass.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:07 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
One major difference between the two parties:

With some exceptions, the Tea Party doesn't swallow the ideolgical drivel whole.

On the other hand, the hard-core failures at the center of the Democrat-Liberal-Radical Axis would believe the moon is made of gold, if someone named Kennedy told them.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:08 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
One major difference between the two parties:

With some exceptions, the Tea Party doesn't swallow the ideolgical drivel whole.

On the other hand, the hard-core failures at the center of the Democrat-Liberal-Radical Axis would believe the moon is made of gold, if someone named Kennedy told them.

I think you have this backwards.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:14 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Yet the most moderate candidate won the Republican Primary. The Dems really are the problem.

The Democrats are the problem (a second view) « Hot Air

Let?s just say it: The Democrats are the problem « Hot Air

But yet the party as a whole does not like him Rather you believe it or not if it was not for the monetary backing we would not be talking about him at all.

Here is the breakdown of the republican party:

romney represents the wealthiest republicans
santorum represents the religous extremist
gringrich represents the nutjobs (teabaggers)
cain/palin/bachman represents the (un)dereducated and misinformed (teaparty)

I did not mention ron Paul since he is not a real republican and only ran on that ticket in order to be heard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections