Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Live in Maine. Cost of UMA is $5000 a year. Cost of USM is $9,000-$10,000.

In that case I would switch states for a year to get residency.

[SIZE=3]Penn State, Pitt lead U.S. tuition list - News[/SIZE]

And I lived up the street from Pitt! I still ended up graduating from PSU thanks to the military, but I think that you see my point.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:59 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post

This is a good thing. Hopefully, after a rout in November, the GOP will implode, root out the radicals, and start to chart a far more moderate course. The party desperately needs it because there really isn't much further to the right they can run. The American public needs a serious opposition party that doesn't come off as 16th century morons on the national and world stage.
You have a good point: However, while the GOP has been losing well-educated younger voters for years, a fair number have left in favor of the Libertarians ... who have about as much use for Democrats of any stripe as the Greens do for Republicans.

The Neanderthal Fundamentalists are, admittedly, the GOP's "captive embarrassment", but they are far outnumbered by the unionists still stuck in the 1940's, and the 50-year-old tennyboppers who'd love to see Paul McCartney in the White House, and all the one-issue types who have no interest in, or concern about the workings of an industrialized economy.

So we're probably headed for a few more years of "split government" while the serious issues continue to fester. I just hope we can afford it, especially if the Gang of Looters manage to further pack the Supreme Court with their rubber-stamp lackeys.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:17 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Those Repubs have some work to do in their ranks...

Shep Smith reacts to Mitt Romney reacting to Newt Gingrich quitting - YouTube

Old 05-02-2012, 03:22 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
Quote:
This is a good thing. Hopefully, after a rout in November, the GOP will implode, root out the radicals, and start to chart a far more moderate course.
There's a larger chance of a catastrophic meteor strike and zombies rising from the earth to walk among us than that. The GOP will go through another round of purification after this year like they've done the past couple cycles. Recent advances in medical technology ensures a sufficient amount of the current base will remain alive for several more decades.

In the next few years we'll see an increased focus on retaining regional and state and local power. There's still plenty of places where the party can consolidate their current configuration for the near-term future.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:27 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
There's a larger chance of a catastrophic meteor strike and zombies rising from the earth to walk among us than that. The GOP will go through another round of purification after this year like they've done the past couple cycles. Recent advances in medical technology ensures a sufficient amount of the current base will remain alive for several more decades.

In the next few years we'll see an increased focus on retaining regional and state and local power. There's still plenty of places where the party can consolidate their current configuration for the near-term future.
I don't think that's necessarily true. There must be a reckoning within the GOP sooner or later or the entire ship will sink. The heads of the party know this.

Most people don't pay attention to the news, so before, they could get these nefarious little things passed even locally without much reaction. However, in 2010/11/12, that is all changing because they're overreaching. The whole conversation about contraception caught them a lot of attention, as did the union-busting push, and the anti-immigration bills. People are noticing more what's going on. So the GOP still has its base - the fanatics - but it's distancing itself further and further from the center.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:10 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
I think the GOP is going to go supernova, ending in a blaze of self-righteous conservative glory. The demographics and culture are such that it cannot attract new moderating forces and it is incapable of self-criticism and adjustment. There is nothing in the universe that a die hard GOP zealot will admit they ever did wrong or that any other culture in the history of the world has done right. With those attitudes, how can they learn from their mistakes and stay competitive? The only thing they have going is a to die for propaganda system and an audience that is addicted to it. Although the audience is gettng more extreme every year, it is aging rapidly, and will jump the shark soon.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
The Tea Party's glee, having secured enough seats to solidify the role as obstructionists within the Congressional political system, is reminiscent of Wiley Coyote.

Pick an episode. It all ends the same way. Today's GOP cannot survive it's current trajectory...and they refuse to turn & cannot see it.

Beep, beep.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
The Tea Party's glee, having secured enough seats to solidify the role as obstructionists within the Congressional political system, is reminiscent of Wiley Coyote.

Pick an episode. It all ends the same way. Today's GOP cannot survive it's current trajectory...and they refuse to turn & cannot see it.

Beep, beep.
But this time the the Super Mega Genius GOP is using ACME explosive bird seed...!!!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:36 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
I never thought that these words would ever come out of my mouth:

I miss the old republicans

Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
Quote:
I don't think that's necessarily true. There must be a reckoning within the GOP sooner or later or the entire ship will sink. The heads of the party know this. .
The party base is perfectly fine with that happening so long as ideological purity is maintained. The few folks in charge who don't feel the same are limited in what they can do about it. Like I said, even if the GOP isn't viable at the national level, there's still plenty of house seats, governorships, and state and local offices they'll almost always control barring a complete realignment. Which would be no different than how things were for much of the 20th century.

The deep south in particular has almost always had one-party rule. The period of about 30 years between the civil rights act and the 1994 wave election is an historical aberration where a false perception of a viable two-state scenario was created as the parties realigned themselves along primarily racial boundaries, some quicker than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections