Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,171,306 times

Advertisements

Want to works as a shampooer? You need a license.

This is one reason why I want to downsize government. Politicians will do what is best for their "investors" and punish everyone else.

Imagine a scenario in a restaurant and you see someone choking and became unconscious. You go over, unchoked him and performed CPR and saved that person. Months later, you got serve a fine for perform EMT without proper licensing.

If you agreed with this, then stop voting for big government's choice of two evils.

Last edited by cw30000; 05-09-2012 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 09:53 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,520 times
Interesting. This is why I have opposed the conservative mantra of "states rights". If you think the big government in DC is intrusive, just transfer that back to states and local governments and see how bad things can REALLY get. They tell you what color to paint your house, what you can and cannot plant, how many dogs and cats you can have and they basically control every aspect of your life. All these "licensing" laws are the product of LOCAL and STATE governments. And NO, they are not needed. Most of them exist because people in a certain profession or business get together in an "association" and pay politicians off to limit competition. That is the only reason for it. Private organizations can certify professionals for much less expense and with much more oversight than governments can. We don't need government deciding who can cut hair or groom a dog. A private organization such as the American Kennel Association can test and certify dog groomers and then YOU can make the decision as to whether you wish to use the services of an AKA certified groomer or take your chances with Mary Ann down the street.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,012 times
It has gotten waaaaaaay out of control. There is a really great book called, "The Right to Earn a Living: Economic Freedom and the Law," by Tim Sandefeur that addresses this from a historical perspective. Rules and regulations that may have started out to protect the little guy end up destroying him and keeping him poor and serf-like. There's a really fascinating section on New York cabbies. If you are interested in this topic, I highly recommend you check out this book and its reviews on Amazon.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,451,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Want to works as a shampooer? You need a license.

This is one reason why I want to downsize government. Politicians will do what is best for their "investors" and punish everyone else.

Imagine a scenario in a restaurant and you see someone choking and became unconscious. You go over, unchoked him and performed CPR and saved that person. Months later, you got serve a fine for perform EMT without proper licensing.

If you agreed with this, then stop voting for big government's choice of two evils.
No kidding! The licensing and permitting by GUBMINT is nothing but a money maker for the GUBMINT and a boon to lawyers who can use it as an excuse to create more lawsuits going after people who don't comply with the dumb licensing and permitting statutes.

People have to wake up and realize that being licensed is no panacea and there are plenty of licensed people who are just as incompetent as unlicensed.

I might not be opposed to it as much if is didn't cost so much and or it was optional. I'm in a profession that requires licensing and continuing education and I learn nothing that I didn't already learn on my own from the stupid continuing education courses "required" to maintain my license.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:06 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,281 times
Where would you draw the line on worker qualification? Hair dressers and manicurists should at least know and practice healthy cpractices and hygene. They should know which chemicals they can use and those to stay away from because they are toxic or may cause cancer! Should a person practice medicine or law or be able to wire your house or install a gas powered water heater with out a government work permit? I know its hard but try to think things through people!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Where would you draw the line on worker qualification? Hair dressers and manicurists should at least know and practice healthy cpractices and hygene. They should know which chemicals they can use and those to stay away from because they are toxic or may cause cancer! Should a person practice medicine or law or be able to wire your house or install a gas powered water heater with out a government work permit? I know its hard but try to think things through people!
If you choose to hire somebody, it is up to you to hire certified people to do what you want done. That certification should be done by PRIVATE organizations. If you choose to hire somebody that is not certified to wire your house, you deal with the consequences. That is the way things should work.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
It has gotten waaaaaaay out of control. There is a really great book called, "The Right to Earn a Living: Economic Freedom and the Law," by Tim Sandefeur that addresses this from a historical perspective. Rules and regulations that may have started out to protect the little guy end up destroying him and keeping him poor and serf-like. There's a really fascinating section on New York cabbies. If you are interested in this topic, I highly recommend you check out this book and its reviews on Amazon.
It is not just the government that is taking away your right to freedom to work. In many states private employers can literally enslave you but making you sign "non compete" agreements which essentially bar you from ever leaving that employer and going to work for a competitor. These things used to only be used for top executives and others that were privy to company secrets and such but more and more they have worked their way down to hourly workers such as HACV technicians in one case I heard about.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
No kidding! The licensing and permitting by GUBMINT is nothing but a money maker for the GUBMINT and a boon to lawyers who can use it as an excuse to create more lawsuits going after people who don't comply with the dumb licensing and permitting statutes.

People have to wake up and realize that being licensed is no panacea and there are plenty of licensed people who are just as incompetent as unlicensed.

I might not be opposed to it as much if is didn't cost so much and or it was optional. I'm in a profession that requires licensing and continuing education and I learn nothing that I didn't already learn on my own from the stupid continuing education courses "required" to maintain my license.
It is the same in my profession. The so called "continuing education" courses are a joke. Everybody laughs at them because we use them to scam the IRS. Companies offer the "classes" in places like Las Vegas, Orlando and Miami Beach and people fly there, get 5 days vacation and, for attending a class 1/2 the day, are able to deduct it off their income taxes as a legit business expense when really it is just a tax deductible vacation. 3/4 of the people do not even go to the 1/2 day classes. They just go to the hotel confrence room, sign the log and head to the beach.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post

I can wire my own house and I can work on the gas lines and plumbing and HVAC on my own home... I don't need a permit. If I pay someone, I like to know that someone else that knows their stuff has graded and passed their knowledge and handskills.

Structural, yes I need a building permit.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:34 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I can wire my own house and I can work on the gas lines and plumbing and HVAC on my own home... I don't need a permit. If I pay someone, I like to know that someone else that knows their stuff has graded and passed their knowledge and handskills.
You can, but you aren't everybody and for everyone can there are 100 who think they can. The problem is the faulty wiring job that you and others put in come back to bite the next unwitting home owner in the ass, all too often with fatal results.

As the horrible government requiring licenses.

Atlanta woman performed illegal plastic surgery | 11alive.com

Couple going to prison in woman's death after surgery - News - ReviewJournal.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections