Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Not really, due to the power and influenece of the fossil fuel industry lobbyist
What influence does the fuel industry lobbyiest put upon you to keep you from putting solar panels on your roof?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 09:03 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats because government entities get special credits and subsidies to retrofit for green energy. I guess when you're using taxpayer money, to get more taxpayer money, its worth spending whatever it costs.

Those of us though in the real world, know its just not feasible yet. I got an estimate last summer for geothermal on my home. The cost was $56K, to get rid of a $200 a month gas bill.. ridiculous.

You would still have a gas bill too. You cannot cook with geothermal.

But I can bake, using solar.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:13 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You would still have a gas bill too. You cannot cook with geothermal.

But I can bake, using solar.
You can cook with geothermal. You can't grill but you can broil, boil and steam.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:10 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,302,536 times
This was total genius by Romney!!

He is continuing to outsmart Obama and all of his idiot brainchildren.

Wonder if Obama will ever show up at Solyndra and apologize to the American people for stealing 535 millions dollars from us?

Old 06-02-2012, 04:47 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,061,280 times
No implication at all. First of all, the batting average is not even close to 1000. There is not a single initiative in which this administration has spent taxpayer funds in an effective way; that has produced even short-term, (think from the instance of expenditure to right now), employment, much less long term potential.

Someone else has already done the RR clarification, so I will not bother.

Second, and most important, the government's role should tilt more toward enablement by stepping aside. I am for a very limited role of government in these things. Or, if it absolutely must, it better know what the heck it is doing. Folks who risk their own money, or private investor's money, have to have high success rate, or they are out of business.

The administration is a miserable business failure, and will be out of business come November.

Finally, quit dissembling with the tired old whining of, "But, but, the Republicans...". We are talking about the failures of THIS administration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
As I pointed out earlier the government historically helps new industries. Had it not done so in the past, we wouldn't have had a railroad network, a telephone network and canals. What I read you implying is that unless the government bats 1000, it's a failure.

Moreover, the amount of the guarantee is less than a rounding error in the federal budget. Former presidents -- including Republican presidents -- have wasted far more money. Bush invaded Iraq and not only wasted two trillion dollars, caused lots of loss of life. Yet, Republicans here rail against the relatively small Solyndra deal with the passion they should have expended on Iraq.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:48 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Gee, maybe next he'll make some surprise visits to defense plants building fighters we can't currently use, the same plants he wants to increase spending on.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:45 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Are you sure you are a Republican? No sitting president has literally flushed as much money down the drain as Obama, either from sheer ignorance and ineptness or from corruption...or both! Romney should point it out and repeatedly...and don't stop with Solyndra.
So the problem isn't in doing it, it's in doing it on a larger level? Romney was on a lower level. I think it's a fine arguement to point out that he didn't have a problem doing the very same things as Obama did.

So our choice is two people who are happy and willing to spend other peoples money picking who should win and who should lose.

Quote:
A governor promoting their states and business is quite normal and not all of them work out.
That is almost exactly the excuse Obama used.

Quote:
It's not the same when a President is involved and to this degree with this much money being wasted and Solyndra is only the tip of iceberg.
It is the same. Romney didn't just promote the states business.

This is why I have little hope of any recovery.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:42 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,257,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
64 million empty apartments in the nation and most of them have been seen in those ghost cities. This is a perfect example of what has to happen when the national government is in complete control of everything. It is so sad to see them building feverishly when there is no need for the buildings. I wonder how much of that will happen here when the left gets control.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:49 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,257,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What influence does the fuel industry lobbyiest put upon you to keep you from putting solar panels on your roof?
Years ago a solar salesman told me that I just didn't need his product since my house is surrounded by huge trees that provide shade at least 7 months of the year. I guess he knew that shade in summer and even in winter just wouldn't allow his product to work. Oh well, I saved a pile of money that would have been wasted if he had been a high pressure salesman.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:02 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Solyndra executives will go to jail right after Lehman Brothers executives go to jail.

The end result is that Solyndra's only purpose is to make political hay. It's not an indictment of government helping fledgling industries, as you pointed out. The cost to taxpayers of Solyndra was not even a rounding error compared to the cost of the Iraq debacle.

The only thing that I think is valuable learning from Solyndra, which undoubtedly the GOP will not learn, is that China is using unfair practices to kill our domestic industries. Solyndra would have been profitable and employ Americans had the proper trade laws been in place.

Get with your buddy Bill about those trade deals (NAFTA, 2000 China Trade Act), and while your at it, you might want to take up the Iraq War with Democrats who were certain Saddam had to be removed from power in 2003. Of course when the 2004 election came along Democrats needed issues to run on so they made the Iraq War they originally supported their issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections