Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:31 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times

Advertisements

We have seen no end of polls by various unknown entities, often nothing more credible than a Poli Sci class at a small liberal arts college. So today, the latest iteration of the NBC/WSJ poll is out and guess what? Very little change. Obama still leads by less than the MOE. BUT, and it's big one, Obama is pulling away in the swing states. It seems exposing the real Romney record at Bain is a very effective approach for Obama. Romney continues to lag badly in the all-important likability ratings. Not great news, but pretty good all considered for Obama.

NBC/WSJ poll: Obama, Romney remain in dead heat - First Read
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 06:42 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,740,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We have seen no end of polls by various unknown entities, often nothing more credible than a Poli Sci class at a small liberal arts college. So today, the latest iteration of the NBC/WSJ poll is out and guess what? Very little change. Obama still leads by less than the MOE. BUT, and it's big one, Obama is pulling away in the swing states. Romney continues to lag badly in the all-important likability ratings. Not great news, but pretty good all considered for Obama.

We may expect to see the polls all over the map from here on. The only consistent thing is that the two candidates seem to be in a dead heat.

I believe that PPP and Rasmussen polls have been the most accurate at predicting winners in recent years. MSNBC/WSJ? Not sure on that one. One thing we know is that just being considered biased doesn't make you inaccurate. I would expect MSNBC to be about as biased as Fox News but in the opposite direction. Ultimately, if the science of your poll is good, even Fox and MSNBC can produce pretty accurate results.

We've seen precious few polls where either candidate leads by more than the margin of error. Popular vote should be incredibly close if these trends hold.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:49 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
We may expect to see the polls all over the map from here on. The only consistent thing is that the two candidates seem to be in a dead heat.

I believe that PPP and Rasmussen polls have been the most accurate at predicting winners in recent years. MSNBC/WSJ? Not sure on that one. One thing we know is that just being considered biased doesn't make you inaccurate. I would expect MSNBC to be about as biased as Fox News but in the opposite direction. Ultimately, if the science of your poll is good, even Fox and MSNBC can produce pretty accurate results.

We've seen precious few polls where either candidate leads by more than the margin of error. Popular vote should be incredibly close if these trends hold.
While I agree with you on the value of polls at this point, let me make it clear that this is not an "MSNBC" poll. It is a collaborative poll with NBC News and the Wall Street Journal. There is input and commentary from both Dem and Rep pollsters in the poll. The overall accuracy is probably less significant at this stage of the game than the fact that the poll is conducted at regular intervals using repetitive methods. That may allow for trend inference.

And yes, it is certainly a toss up right now. I have to admit, however, I was somewhat surprised to see Obama hanging in there after the rather bad month he had politically.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:52 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,507,843 times
Quote:

The popular vote means nothing which is the premise of the thread. If Romney loses the swing states he currently trails in he loses no matter how big he takes the red states.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:17 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,740,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
The popular vote means nothing which is the premise of the thread. If Romney loses the swing states he currently trails in he loses no matter how big he takes the red states.
Very true. Conventional wisdom says it's almost unwinnable if he doesn't take both Ohio and Florida. Things are looking extremely close in both states, but Obama has held onto a lead in both.

Romney has to come from behind to win this election. As long as the economy stays in the toilet, there's a very good chance of that. Then again Romney is threatening in states that one would have thought were gimmies for Obama: Wisconsin and Michigan. If he manages to take either state, it changes things tremendously. Romney still would need Florida, but with Michigan and Wisconsin, he could lose Ohio and still win the 270 electoral votes needed. Right now, RCP has Obama with 221, Romeny with 170 and 147 as toss-ups. No matter how it turns out, it should be an interesting election to follow.

Wouldn't it be interesting if New Hampshire or Colorado were the states where the election was won?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:43 PM

26,513 posts, read 15,092,794 times
I believe this is a fair question.

Are you worried that this poll apparently over sampled liberals?

In real life, Obama had 53% and McCain 46% of the vote in 2008.

Of the people in this poll who voted and remembered, Obama has 55% and McCain 40%.

So Obama +7% in real life, but +15% in this poll say they voted for Obama over McCain. Doesn't that give you some pause as to declaring this poll more accurate than all others when they clearly oversampled 2008 Obama supporters compared to 2008 McCain supporters?

Additionally, isn't it bothersome that the people in this poll give Obama a +15 margin for Obama over McCain, but only a +3 margin for Obama over Romney. It appears as if Romney is flipping some voters and getting some new voters based on this poll - does it not?

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Se...NE-NBC-WSJ.pdf

Old 06-26-2012, 07:48 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We have seen no end of polls by various unknown entities, often nothing more credible than a Poli Sci class at a small liberal arts college. So today, the latest iteration of the NBC/WSJ poll is out and guess what? Very little change. Obama still leads by less than the MOE. BUT, and it's big one, Obama is pulling away in the swing states. It seems exposing the real Romney record at Bain is a very effective approach for Obama. Romney continues to lag badly in the all-important likability ratings. Not great news, but pretty good all considered for Obama.

I'm sorry this poll offers no insight into swing states. It is a national poll of 1000 people across the country.
I fail to see how it is better than a PPP or Rasmussen state poll.

Face it your guy is in trouble.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:17 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,768,347 times
Not sure about the robustness of the poll. However, this is an interesting contrast.

"In addition, a majority of Romney supporters – 58 percent – say their vote is more against Obama than for Romney. That’s compared to a whopping 72 percent of Obama supporters who say their vote is more for Obama than against Romney."

I think it means many of us respect Obama's leadership. Romney has yet to gain a strong following.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:19 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,841 times
Quote:

I think that the polls will be pretty useless until the debates. That said, Romney has to get some message out. He's trying to be more evasive than Bush during his 2004 campaign. I couldn't tell you what he stands for and I read a lot of newspapers.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:56 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
The poll has 42% calling themselves a Democrat and 38% Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections