Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 01:28 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Did Ted Kennedy?
No, and Romney (rightly so) went after him aggressively in the press over it. In presidential races releasing numerous years of returns has been customary for the last 40 years. The faux outrage over voters raising questions over this is ridiculous, and whiney reponses just make the rest of you look like a bunch of hypocrites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 01:30 PM
F40

826 posts, read 857,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Before calling what the Romney Campaign does as "stupid" one might use spell-check or proof read.

Sorry I never cared for or did well in school. I dropped out got a ged joined the Navy, got out did ok for myself

Actually If I was a Con you would worship me, I gots lotsa stuffs

And still won"t change The fact that the Romney Hood "CAM PAIN" is done.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:33 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And to think, these people are voters..
Yeah silly us. Why the nerve of the American people wanting to know something about the candidate running for the highest office in the land! We peons should just shut and do as we're told by our betters. You would never stop screeching if Obama pulled this kind of a stunt.

As others have said, Mittens is going to lose. He knows it and he doesn't want the IRS snooping around.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:33 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
you don't trust the IRS?

maybe we need to change the tax code.
If it were just a question of the taxes, perhaps his reticence to release them might be forgiven. But when coupled with the destruction of harddrives from his governorship of MA, obliteration of all records of his stewardship of the Olympics, too-numerous-to-count conflicting stances on issues, the tax records seem to be the only concrete thing we have to evaluate the man.

In 2002 we discovered (by his taxes) that Mitt filed taxes listing Utah as his primary residence, saving a total of $54,000 in taxes by filing as a resident. However, in order to fulfill MA 7 year residency requirement to run for governor, Mitt claimed MA was his primary residence. (He obviously wanted it both ways - sorry, Mitt).

To say his reluctance to release his tax returns is suspicious is an understatement. I don't understand how his supporters can keep their heads in the sand. And for someone as slimey as Mitt Romney to have gained that support over Ron Paul, a man with true integrity, is beyond belief.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:49 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
I agree with some others on here that releasing a portion of one year's tax returns seems like bad campaign strategy. If you've decided that it isn't worth the political hit to release them, don't release them...if things change and you decide it isn't worth the hit NOT to release them, do release them. Doing anything half-way is worse than doing nothing -- because here we are talking about tax returns again instead of having a group love-fest on Paul Ryan, which is what we've been doing the past couple of days.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:51 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I find it hilarious that the tax returns are once again front and center. The Romney campaign tried desperately to change the subject by releasing his VP pick ahead of the convention, and all it bought him was three days. What it cost him was the post-convention bounce that the VP pick usually provides, and it hung a budget around his neck that is so unpopular that the weight of that alone would probably sink him even without the tax returns, flip flopping and unlikability. I don't remember ever seeing such an inept campaign.
I find it equally hilarious that the left has to bring this up again, since they still have no record to run on.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:56 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I find it equally hilarious that the left has to bring this up again, since they still have no record to run on.
You want to replace the guy. Tell us why. So far we have a man who refuses to release his tax returns, has picked a lunatic right wing extremist who hates the elderly and the poor and has pretty much flip-flopped on every major issue. He also has no speaking skills, a health care plan identical to Obama's and a dancing horse.

You picked a loser and you expect the rest of us to get stuck with him so the Koch Brothers can pay even less in taxes. Forget it.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:17 PM

441 posts, read 501,350 times
Default Mitt Romney - 2009 Swiss tax amnesty

Ann Romney is refusing to disclose their tax returns, saying they are only disclosing what they are legally obligated to disclose. One of the Republicans on here will surely correct me if I am mistaken, but hasn't Romney only disclosed for 2010 and 2011?

In 2009 Americans were given an amnesty to declare assets in Switzerland by the IRS. Curiously coincidental timing.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:22 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
"Legally obligated"

What part of those two words do liberals not understand?

Old 08-15-2012, 02:24 PM

441 posts, read 501,350 times
This isn't a court case - this guy wants us to trust him enough to elect him. Refusing to go beyond what is "legally obligated", might win a court case, but not an election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections