Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 03:23 PM

197 posts, read 213,023 times

Advertisements

Perhaps you should read more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 03:29 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
....votes.
So you think he'll gain votes by hinting they will cut on social security and/or medicare? How?

Ooh I get, maybe people will vote for honest for a change.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:34 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
How exactly has anyone ever won an election talking about getting rid of SS and Medicare? I am 34 and I would vote against anyone who wanted to get rid of those programs.

Cons used "death panels" to scare old people with Obamacare, what is he actually gonna spend the next few months campaigning on how to get rid of those programs? I wonder if that is going to energy the people who are in their 50's who have been paying into it all their working life?

Good job Mittens, can't talk about your time as governor, can't talk about your business past, but you can talk about wanting to cut important programs that were created to protect the elderly in our country. Sounds like a win to me....a win for Obama and the Democrats when you help more Republicans to lose their election over this.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:37 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
"We're going to have to recognize that Social Security and Medicare are unsustainable, not for the current group of retirees, but for coming generations," Romney told the 2012 Conservative Political Action Conference. "And we can't afford to avoid these entitlement challenges any longer."

Read more: Romney vows Social Security, Medicare cuts - UPI.com
He is right.

Libs, on the other hand, prefer to put their heads in the sand, ignore the problem, and allow both systems to become insolvent. Such a "policy" ensures that an entire generation of elderly citizens will become destitute, simply due to LACK OF COURAGE to make the hard decisions which would maintain both programs.

Liberals want to kill Medicare and Social Security through neglect. To do nothing at this time would be like failing to recognize a curable cancer in its early stages.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:04 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So you think he'll gain votes by hinting they will cut on social security and/or medicare? How?

Ooh I get, maybe people will vote for honest for a change.
On medicare, it's not a hint. It's a definite cut. I explained that in another thread though.
For SS, he hasn't been specific.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:06 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How exactly has anyone ever won an election talking about getting rid of SS and Medicare? I am 34 and I would vote against anyone who wanted to get rid of those programs.
I'm totally in favor of getting rid of them provided everyone currently on each program pays back what they've taken so far, in addition to previous recipients whose survivors will be billed retroactively. In lieu of cash we'll accept personal property and labor. If you're still spry and medically fit, favors sexual and otherwise can be arranged.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:08 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Quote:
"We're going to have to recognize that Social Security and Medicare are unsustainable, not for the current group of retirees, but for coming generations," Romney told the 2012 Conservative Political Action Conference. "And we can't afford to avoid these entitlement challenges any longer."

Read more: Romney vows Social Security, Medicare cuts - UPI.com
BS, he is going to try and put it back to what it was originally intended. For the person who puts money into it. NOt the illegals, freeloaders etc that get SS for whatever crap they can find a loop hole for.
This Congress dipping into SS has been going on for a long time. It was a savings plan for people, then Government saw it as a ATM and used and used it for entitlement minded people..

Old 08-11-2012, 05:10 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
Quote:
On medicare, it's not a hint. It's a definite cut. I explained that in another thread though.
For SS, he hasn't been specific.
That reminds me according to Robert Draper's Do Not Ask What Good We Do, Ryan initially planned to privatize both SS and Medicare in his pretend budget but he was told by Kevin McCarthy the house majority whip that they only had the votes for one or the other, so he picked Medicare.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:26 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
BS, he is going to try and put it back to what it was originally intended. For the person who puts money into it. NOt the illegals, freeloaders etc that get SS for whatever crap they can find a loop hole for.
This Congress dipping into SS has been going on for a long time. It was a savings plan for people, then Government saw it as a ATM and used and used it for entitlement minded people..
Ok then, according to you, Romney's direct quote is BS.
Got a link to support your statement? I haven't seen anything mentioned about Romney mentioning illegals and whatnot.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:31 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Quote:
Ok then, according to you, Romney's direct quote is BS.
Got a link to support your statement? I haven't seen anything mentioned about Romney mentioning illegals and whatnot.
For the love of God. Research it yourself. I swear, people need to go beyond their favorite secure ******* websites and read what the heck has happened to SS. Romney as well as many conservatives have talked about fixing it and keeping the governments fingers out of it.
Fricking entitlement minded people need to get jobs, support their damn selves and stay out of SS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections